1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need advice on 1984 Fender Concert Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cliff keller, Mar 2, 2021.

1. cliff keller

cliff keller TDPRI Member

Hi y'all, I have a Fender Concert Amp, 1984 that i never use. It weighs a ton and frankly is way too loud for the venues I play. I am going to sell it. Can you give me some advice? It buzzes pretty loud on both channels. I lost the foot pedals years ago, maybe thats why the reverb doesn't work? I'd rather not spend a bunch of money fixing it up to sell it. Any advice? Anyone here live in San Diego?
    thanks in advance.
    cliff keller
    tempImageqofhSd.png

Attached Files:

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

There are a lot of sea-going ships and vessels in the harbors at San Diego.

At least one of them needs a new anchor.

Just sayin'.

:(

oldfish likes this.
  3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Okay, seriously now.

Your Fender Concert II (1x12) amp is worth, according to Fjestad's Blue Book, $400 to $500 in 'Average Condition'.

One in Excellent Condition would fetch $800 to $1,000.

Advertise it on the local Craigslist for $450, and describe it accurately, warts and all.
    Let the local buyers know that it's a good amp, but needs some TLC and a bit of sprucing up.

I'll bet that you get $400 for it, no problems.

;)

cliff keller likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

They are loud. That metal dust cover on that EV doesn’t help the sound or the weight problem, ime. They are handwired with reverb and switchable channels and gain.,the problem is, ime, that they have to be running loud to sound good. That said, if someone walked up with one with noise going on and wanted $400, I talk them down and make an amp out of it. If it were not exhibiting any problems and had the footswitch, that $400 might be worth the trouble of making it a better amp and finding a user for it.

cliff keller likes this.
  5. cliff keller

Thanks for your straight talk. I appreciate it.

Wally likes this.
  6. cliff keller

Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it. Trying to convert unused stuff in the house to cash to pay bills. Hoping someone will play the hell out of it and have fun. It sounds really great turned up really loud, which is around 3 or 4 on the volume knob.

Wally likes this.
  7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

They are heavy, and loud, but they are great amps, hard wired with excellent transformers.
    The normal channel is the sweetest clean I have heard, and the reverb is truly excellent.
    It has value. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it is valueless.
    @Wally has the clue--it is worth actual money to someone.

Pcs264 likes this.
  8. Wally

I believe they are worth those book values to someone who needs big cleans and versatility. However, selling an amp that needs immediate tech work for unknown problems is...well....problematic. Good luck with the sale.

9. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I own a 1 X 12" combo with the matching extension cab and a 4 X 10" combo of the '83 / '84 Fender Concert II amp although I did swap out the speakers. I bought both of mine in the last twelve years and paid $700 for the 4 X 10" combo in excellent condition and then $1100 for the 1 X 12" combo with matching 1 X 12" extension cab with casters in mint condition. A 1 X 12" in poor but working condition usually goes for around $400 on ebay or Reverb. If it's not working it would probably be of use to maybe someone wanting to mess around with a hand wired amplifiers project but it might not sell at all. When they're still in high quality condition they have their own fan base among folks into late hand wired production amps. The excellent clean channel sounds very much like the '64 / '65 Blackface TR and that's what I use them for. Channel 2 sounds like Fender was shooting for Mesa territory but didn't quite have a handle on designing / voicing the higher gain structure of Mesa's front end.

Wally likes this.
  10. Wally

If Inhad one of these, I would increase the midrange in the Lead channel. There is a 10K mid pot....make that at least 25k if not 100K and that channel can heat up better. I might consider revoice the whole tone stack as well.

11. proaudioguy

proaudioguy TDPRI Member

I can fix it but I’m in FL. I would buy it from you for a good deal, but again, I’m in FL. I have 3 different Rivera Era Fender amps and I’ve refurbed (cap jobs, and clean up) all of them. They usually arrive buzzing like a son of a gun and the tone is somewhat lifeless but they are easy to get the clean super nice and the dirt usable depending on style of music although dirt pedal into clean is pretty sweet. BTW, I would give $250-$350 for it if the EV is in good shape, and that is a gift, knowing I’m going to spend $50-$100 in caps, and at least 4-6 hours going through it just to make it sound stock and not have noise issues. I paid $450, or maybe $500 for my other one and it had a K120 in it in perfect condition, which is now in my Twin Reverb with a D120. I have EVs in the DRII and the Concert, as God and Paul Rivera intended. That other one, was in perfect working condition with no noise at that time and just had that dull lifeless tone which was remedied by installing that missing cap the Fender factory working forgot, on a Friday I guess.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.