1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

*Need Advice* Is this Martin DX1KAE genuine or counterfeit?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PartyOnAlec, Jan 28, 2021.

Is this guitar genuine or counterfeit?

1. It's genuine

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. It's counterfeit

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. PartyOnAlec

PartyOnAlec TDPRI Member

https://imgur.com/a/F1LPcZU BE SURE TO VOTE UP ABOVE

Unsure because on Martin's site, the DX1KAE has fretboard inlays. The photographed guitar does now have inlays.

Someone told me that it could be a 2010-2013 from what they could tell. According to them, Martin made DX1KAE models without dot inlays during that period.

I'd love more expert opinions from the guitar braintrust here. I have an opportunity to buy this, and want to make sure I'm not getting scammed first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It looks genuine to me. If you Google DX1 and look at pics, you'll see that previous ones had no inlays on the fretboard. Martin has just recently revamped the X series with some improvements, no that there was anything wrong with the previous ones. maxresdefault.jpg

3. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 Tele-Meister

I'll second that. Pictures aren't great, but it looks right from what I see. One of those little inspection mirrors you can get at automotive stores and a flashlight are helpful. Take one look in the soundhole. Martins are as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside. At least the ones I've dealt with. Have yet to see a knockoff that doesn't have a wood glue murder scene going on inside.

PartyOnAlec likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

No dot fret markers and no binding.

5. DougM

X series models don't have binding either. People who don't know what they're talking about shouldn't offer advice. You can also see the Martin X series label inside the soundhole, and the model number and serial number will be stamped on the neck block

6. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Does it smell like a Martin?

7. PartyOnAlec

PartyOnAlec TDPRI Member

This is great advice. I'll inspect the inside.

8. PartyOnAlec

PartyOnAlec TDPRI Member

I haven't spent enough time with martins to know their smell exactly, so I'd be personally grateful if you wanted to describe it to me :)

goonie and ale.istotle like this.
  9. DougM

Just so you know, the X series are solid spruce tops and composite back and sides (what they call HPL, high pressure laminate), but don't let that discourage you, because they still have the Martin sound. Also, the originals were made at their factory in Nazareth, PA, but after Martin built their factory in Mexico, they switched production to there. I worked at the #1 Martin dealer here in the islands, and after the switch, there was no difference in quality between the ones made here and the ones made in Mexico.

10. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

Not sure where the payoff would be in counterfeiting an X series Martin. I’ve owned them and they are great guitars. I just don’t see the point in counterfeiting a lower end model.

Also, looks legit to me.

Capgun

jfgesquire, howardlo and DougM like this.
  11. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Currently 33% think this is counterfeit :confused::rolleyes:

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I also think it would be strange for someone to counterfeit an X series.

And I know that Martin often changes specifications in mid production without advertising it. I have a 1996 Martin J18 that I bought new. They didn't make that many of this model and every other one I've seen has snowflake inlays while mine has dots. Go figure!

So, I'd say that guitar is genuine.

13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like a real one to me--based on just two fuzzy pics.

14. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

The joke would be that the X series is already a counterfeit Martin.

Call Me Al likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Can’t say I’ve heard of any incidents of attempted counterfeiting of HPL level Martins. Doesn’t compute. That said, photo looks like the real deal, FWIW.
    As mentioned, these models don’t have binding, and previously came without fretboard markers.

For example, here’s another online listing, a lefty, no dots, etc. A 3-400$ guitar, for which you can get $1,000 worth of advice for free.

https://www.musicgoround.com/produc...zxBifRsrlxiYpSncgjA2fDAq8PN3o_GgaAi0ZEALw_wcB

PartyOnAlec likes this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I just know ( embarrassing after 46 years playing), that playing a guitar without markers on the fretboard is a real PITA at low light/dark gigs!

( but I've played a Martin DX1 and it played and sounded great)

Dumb story:
    In 2003 I bought an Alvarez acoustic to 'temporarily replace' my Martin, whose frets where just chewed up and dented...( my rationale for buying, was I was gigging so much, that I was afraid I would be w/o my guitar too long getting a fret job, so, "just buy another guitar!" - dumb move!)

The Alvarez only had a 12th fret marker, and I could not see the dots on the side of the neck in low light, so I was always playing barre chords, and starting lead breaks, one fret off from where I was supposed to be! ( Sorry, I'm not a Classical player- need the markers, still)

I put up with it for a year or so- then fixed the Martin, sold the Alvarez!
    All better!

PartyOnAlec likes this.
  17. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

PartyOnAlec likes this.
  18. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

It's real.

X series Martins have a lot of pretty unique material choices (HPL back and sides, Statabond necks, mikata/richlite fingerboards and bridges), so cloning one hallway accurately would take a lot of sourcing - ironically, if you're a factory making cheap knock off acoustics a D28 would be easier to approximate with what the factory would already be set up to reproduce.

PartyOnAlec and Blues Twanger like this.
  19. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

It's really real. Would not make much sense to counterfeit a X series Martin.

PartyOnAlec likes this.
  20. PartyOnAlec

PartyOnAlec TDPRI Member

Purchased for $150! Needs a good cleaning on the neck, fretboard, body, and headstock, and badly needs new strings (but the seller included like 3 packs of strings, two capos, a clippy tuner, a 1/4" cable, a strap, and a cloth hard case...again for $150.) Serial number is 1594693, indicating it was made in 2011.

I think I really lucked out with this one. Now, I'm the sort of whimseical fella who likes to name his guitars. Martina? Mary? Dexy? Ooooo Kaelani? It's got the KAE pun, and it's of Hawaiian origin like the koa sides and back.

teletimetx and stephent2 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.