Need Advice...I do not have a tube amp. which one should I get?

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I am sure I am missing out by not having a tube amp. ....Most of my playing is in my home studio and occasionally with drummer and sometimes a small gig (very small). I currently play through a Roland 405 Tube Logic with various cab extensions or a Quilter Super Block. One brand that got my attention is Supro, mostly cause I think the Delta Kings looks cool (not the best decision paradigm). All brands seem to range from 1w to 200w....I'm not sure where I would fit in....I would like to keep it under $600
MY dilemma:
- Are Supro any good?
- What size (does size matter?) troll away
- other options to consider
Thanks for your input

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Holic
You have to consider how you are gonna use it. Supros are cool, particularly if you like an amp that breaks up early.

*do you prefer a multi-channel amp, or do you get your drive tone from pedals?

*Are you gonna gig and/or rehearse with it? If so, 30 watts is probably where you want to sit.

*Are you opposed to pre-owned gear? Sometimes thats the way to get the most bang for the buck.

*Combo, or head+ cab? Having a seperate cab can make your smaller wattage amp sound huge. Anything should be able to push a 2x12, and your 15 watt amp becomes super-boomy.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
My suggestion is to start small and then work your way up. I have two 5w tube amps that I love to death. They both are under $600. I have a Bugera V5 Infinium and an Epiphone Valve Junior. The Epiphone drives one or two 1 X 12 cabs and gets cranky. Both amps have a nice breakup points and can get really loud in the house. Just my $0.02

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
There are so many options that it's hard to steer you in the right direction. You really need to play through some amps and figure out what works for you, and you will very likely buy something now and decide you need something else as your ear becomes more refined.

The Supro amps are good, but they're not versatile. They do their thing and that's about it. Same with Champs/Vibro Champs. Try them. You may absolutely love it.

You're looking for a 1x10 or 1x12 combo with about 15 watts of power. 20 watts should be about your max, but you'll probably never turn an amp like that up past about 3 on the volume knob.

The Fender Pro Junior and Bugera V22 are both more versatile than the Supro and fit in your price range. Both have cool ranges of tones that may or may not suit you.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Under $600 there are generally some great used choices, but that is entry-level for a new tube amp that will be employed at a rehearsal or small gig. For power I would recommend the 15-ish watt range and a 1x10 or 1x12 speaker. You have lots of choices depending on what you want to sound like. A Vox Ac15 (used) is an excellent amp, with tremolo and reverb and great clean or dirty sounds and can be found for around $400 used in my neck of the woods. Hard to go wrong with that choice. The Fender Blues Jr is another classis choice, it's smaller and lighter but you might not like the sound quite as much (I don't). For a classic Fender sound, you can look around used and try to find a Deluxe Reverb Reissue, many would say it's the best all-round club and small gig amp, on my local craigslist they go for $700 or maybe a bit more, however. Another one to consider is the Marshall Origin 20 or 50, they are a pretty low gain early Marshall type of sound. I don't have one but they get great reviews. And they look awesome.

I personally have two tube amps right now - an AC30s1 (single speaker AC30) that I paid $500 for, and a boutique Allen Accomplice Jr which is basically a Fender Blackface style of amp, that I paid quite a bit more for. Either one will do everything I need, they are just a bit different in tone.

I would avoid the 5 watt and under amps as they will tend to not be loud enough for shows and rehearsals, or at least they will struggle mightily to keep up and you will lose any ability to have a clean tone. I don't know much about Supros except I played through a couple that I thought were pretty cool.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'd try a few tube amps out and see what you really like.

Do not get a tube amp (or anything) just because you think 'you need a tube amp.'

I bought a Supro Blues King 10 last year on impulse, due to its features (on paper), its price, and the fact that it's a tube amp.
It sounded blah, ordinary to me, and did not sound as good as my 2 gigging SS amps- which always tickle me! ( combined, spent $250 for both!)

So I sold BK 10 ( actually for more than I paid- so all good). It just had features that IMO, fell short than as described.

And I own and have owned some very good tube amps, but a few dogs.
But you have to trust your ears.

I'd say a Fender Deluxe or Princeton Reverb ( even reissues), would be fantastic tube amps to try and own,.
But they cost a lot these days!

Maybe a Marshall Origin 20? Affordable but folks here seem to.love them

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
FWIW - I love my little Fender Champ XD which is powered by 6V6GT's and 12ax7 tubes. I bought mine used for under 200 bucks which was an exceptional buy I admit, but still you should be able to find one for 250 or maybe a tad more. It's a very versatile amp, lots of pre loaded voices on it, and definitely worth considering IMO. It's got more than enough power to private jam with, record with, and for doing small venues etc.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
You have to consider how you are gonna use it. Supros are cool, particularly if you like an amp that breaks up early.

*do you prefer a multi-channel amp, or do you get your drive tone from pedals?

*Are you gonna gig and/or rehearse with it? If so, 30 watts is probably where you want to sit.

*Are you opposed to pre-owned gear? Sometimes thats the way to get the most bang for the buck.

*Combo, or head+ cab? Having a seperate cab can make your smaller wattage amp sound huge. Anything should be able to push a 2x12, and your 15 watt amp becomes super-boomy.
I do have various speaker cabs to use. My 405 has a drive channel that I don't mind using but I use a pedal mostly. I range from clean to crunch. I suppose I should also consider an effects loop. I always wondered about the Orange micro terror.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My suggestion is to start small and then work your way up. I have two 5w tube amps that I love to death. They both are under $600. I have a Bugera V5 Infinium and an Epiphone Valve Junior. The Epiphone drives one or two 1 X 12 cabs and gets cranky. Both amps have a nice breakup points and can get really loud in the house. Just my $0.02
Thanks...I was curious about the 5w

Esquire Jones

Tele-Meister
I’ve got the 15w Supro BK 12. It does it’s own thing and I really like it. It’s not a Fender tone. More mid forward maybe. And it does break up early. It’s a ferocious little bugger. It Loves tele‘s!

Si G X

Tele-Afflicted
I would go for a 30-50w 1x12 combo... it won't be too big to lug around but big enough to deal with drummers and gigs. also having a 12" speaker means you have the most choice in that respect too.

They are my favorite kind of amps and if you buy a used one there not much you couldn't afford.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
There are so many options that it's hard to steer you in the right direction. You really need to play through some amps and figure out what works for you, and you will very likely buy something now and decide you need something else as your ear becomes more refined.

The Supro amps are good, but they're not versatile. They do their thing and that's about it. Same with Champs/Vibro Champs. Try them. You may absolutely love it.

You're looking for a 1x10 or 1x12 combo with about 15 watts of power. 20 watts should be about your max, but you'll probably never turn an amp like that up past about 3 on the volume knob.

The Fender Pro Junior and Bugera V22 are both more versatile than the Supro and fit in your price range. Both have cool ranges of tones that may or may not suit you.
Thanks....I'll see if I can test drive any of those where shop....what makes an amp versatile?

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
FWIW - I love my little Fender Champ XD which is powered by 6V6GT's and 12ax7 tubes. I bought mine used for under 200 bucks which was an exceptional buy I admit, but still you should be able to find one for 250 or maybe a tad more. It's a very versatile amp, lots of pre loaded voices on it, and definitely worth considering IMO. It's got more than enough power to private jam with, record with, and for doing small venues etc.
Isn't that a hybrid....tube pre amp solid state power or visa versa? plus built in FX

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
MY dilemma:

I have the Supro BK10 (DK10). Lately, I have been playing it in my home rotation fairly regular. I doubt the speaker is actually broken in yet, but note that it can be particular about which guitar one uses. This is a 5w amp, so even with the boost and OD features, it would probably be hard pressed to gig unless miked (but I have no experience there, just looking at the 5w). If you were just looking for a home amp, the DK8s are on sale at $329 most places---an even smaller amp.

I have a Blackstar HT40 Club (older version...MkI?), that given your parameters I recommend you give a look. Tube (6L6 and EL34 versions), two channel, versatile and capable of holding its own. The Blackstars are very competitive pricewise as well...especially if you find a nice used one.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

beninma

Friend of Leo's
Are you more of a dirty player or a clean player?

If you're curious about the Supro and the Micro Terror I'd go play a bunch of those.

I love my Orange Rocker 15 and when I've gotten to try a Supro I loved those too. Hard to say if I'm really a "dirty" player but real tube dirt at a reasonable volume is a glorious thing.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I’d start with, “What does my current amp not do that I think a tube amp will do?” Then look for an amp that does that. There isn’t “A” tube amp, they are all different. Also, a lot of tube amps have to be cranked to get their best sound. Do you play in situations where you can, or want to, crank your amp?

I love tube amps, but to get one just because you think you might be missing something is a recipe for disappointment.