Need advice about an SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Wallaby, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Lots of SG love going around so here's a pic of mine in it's current state. Single P94, kill switch (which I never use). Currently strung as a baritone (for doom metal! :lol:).

SG.jpg

swany and cyclopean like this.
  2. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

That's the point

My preferences are: Chunky neck, batwing

Mine, a 2001 in Natural burst is quite modded....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a 90s 61Ri.
    Like it a lot
    Think all the 61s use classic57 pu.
    which is a good thing.

jrblue likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I can answer to this post. My SG is one of four guitars I use for finger style. The neck pickup being a little forward of where it is in an LP helps keep it bright enough. I lowered the pickups and raised the pole pieces. This makes the SG sound even less like an LP. Mine had robot tuners removed. I believe the pickups are 490 R and T. The SG is one of four guitars I use. Moving between my Tele, Strat, SG, and Annie isn’t a problem. You get used to all of them. I keep my SG in a hard case and put it on a stand when it’s out. I don’t worry about the headstock. Truth be told, my hollow busy Gretsch is way more fragile. Which model? Mine was $600 used. I liked the clean and crunch sounds. My suggestion is to shop until you find one you like and then jump on it. The only thing I had to change about mine was that I lightly potted and covered the pickups. I’m tactile defensive and didn’t like how the exposed bridge pickup bobbin felt against my pinkie. Enjoy the hunt and bring home a great trophy.

5. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Shoot. For under 2K you might be able to get a used '61 Reissue and a used SG Classic, so you'd have P90s and humbuckers. I have a 2008 SG Classic that I'll never sell.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

hey, have quite a few. Even had 2 the same year same model..2011 faded, it had a rounder neck. But the SG's are very random neck wise. I have had some i let go cause they were way too thin then had some thicker ones. I ended up with keepers that are in the middle. Most always lead nice but finding ones that chord easier has been my search goals. Each of us had dif needs on fretboard area. The rest has always been very consistent..so much in fact..i make every strap exactly the same size & have never changed it since day one. It became my go to guitar. A/b every week for the work needing done & the leads all most always go back to an SG even if i am trying to use other guitars. I sense a finesse in them maybe. Looking for "The SG" to match "The Paul" for quite awhile.

Sean Mac likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

hell yeah

[​IMG]

blowtorch likes this.
  8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

There's an SG for everyone, but the variation is considerable. For instance, I'm never getting a P90 SG though some love them; necks range from whippy to chunky. While the vibratos and vibrolas are among the worst of those devices every placed on a guitar, some love the looks and a few even like the action. Sone SGs have head dive; some have really bad head dive. Try before you buy. If you like used, huge values abound. I have what I consider -- for me! -- the best possible SG model, an '87 '61 reissue Les Paul SG Custom (the 3 PU model) with Shaw humbuckers, white, incredible ebony board, gold hardware... bought in an out-of-the-way shop for $1600 (usually found for $3K). With its incredibly fast neck, it is perfect for me but I know players who don't like that neck in the least.

9. paulo6

paulo6 Tele-Meister

I love my 2007 Standard, bought secondhand (£500) and in a slightly battered state. It's a cherry red with the batwing guard, although I'd prefer the small one as it's not that easy I find to adjust the pickup angle etc. The (slim tapered?) neck is very comfortable, but I really don't like the fret nibs - my high E string sometimes gets caught in the gap. Also I've pretty much cured any tuning issues by installing a String Butler. A grippy strap has cured the neck dive isue.

Ps. does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a repacement single Kluson Tulip tuner?

10. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Mine is one of the anniversary models from 2014. Mahogany body and maple neck. Thin 24 fret neck.

I swapped the bridge and tailpiece after trying one of those Duesenberg trem systems.

Something special about the feel of this one. Probably my favorite feeling Guitar to play (easiest).

IMG_20190315_165519525_HDR.jpg

VWAmTele likes this.
  11. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I'm learning more and more - especially the part about playing a lot of them to find out what I like.

I know I won't like neck dive - I've had that happen with an acoustic, although I can't remember which one.

Pickups are all over the place. There's a retailer with "dealer custom" models that feature underwound pickups, which is a good thing I guess?

I'm scouring the usuall places multiple times per day. Someday she will be mine!

Just not sure what, yet.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Yeah, if you can go to Chicago Music Exchange, you'll leave with an SG you love. They have a ton of stuff, including those awesome special runs in fun colors.

[​IMG]

13. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

The GAS continues.... and I'm still searching and learning.

I've noticed a few guitars in my searching that have a gold Gibson script logo ( not MOP inlay, and in cursive script lettering instead of the standard block lettering ) and also with a banner with the slogan "Only a Gibson is Good Enough".

What's up with those, are they special editions? They seem to be "sort of" like the VOS releases, but they aren't , I guess.

Thanks.

14. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Brother, I wouldn't buy a new guitar. I'd go out into the big world and make a project out of finding a great used SG. I found my SG on a farm in Missouri. Early 70s model, bought in the late 70s. You have to try the guitars. You wouldn't get a mail-order bride, right? This isn't an amp.

Here's one bit of advice: find a strap that has soft suede lining. It grips your clothes and make the odd balance of the SG a lot more comfortable to play.

15. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Think I've posted this before but recent year SGs have square shaped frets. I love everything about my 61 reissue except the frets because if you do quick sliding trills across two notes, they will hang you up. I spent about $400 at two different luthiers before they got them rounded correctly similar to a Les Paul or my 335. If you are mainly a chord player with a few simple lead lines, then it may not be a problem but you won't be playing any Satriani without some fret work.

Once this was completed however, it has become one of my favorite guitars because it just cuts through a band. I also play clean to slightly breakup and with my fingers. The SG I have also has the thinner neck so neck-dive is not an issue. Mine is a 2006. Love having all the room at the top of the neck.

16. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Prompted by your post, I checked out all the latest SG offerings. Now whenever I turn on my computer, my screen is filled with ads for SGs. I'm not complaining--it could be much worse.

P.S. If it was me, I'd just find a used one w/ a comfortable neck and glossy finish.

17. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I haven't read the responses .. for all I know you might have bought that SG :D

Anyways I have a very passionate relationship with the SG. In my opinion SG standard the biggest bang for the buck guitar you can find on the used market. They are plenty and usually cheap. At least half price of a new one.

Don't buy a new one .. watch the used market and buy your self a nice SG standard! :)

18. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

I had one of these (sold it to buy a Hahn Tele), and I regret selling it, almost every day. Just buy it, you'll be VERY happy.

2013 Gibson SG Original

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holy cow, that might even be my old guitar!

rze99 and Wallaby like this.
  19. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

That...is NICE.

Still looking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

maggieo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.