Need advice about an SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Wallaby, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

hdvades, Erdowonge and studio1087 like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just remember, SG stands for Satan's Guitar

studio1087 and '64 Tele like this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have both a vintage Gibson SG and a MIC Epiphone G-400 SG.

Here are a few notes:

Because of the strap and thigh cut placements relative to the bridge and frets, when you switch from playing from the Tele to the SG you will feel like you are playing to the left of yourself. If you exclusively play an SG all the time you'll never notice how left of center it actually sits. This may be disorienting for your playing or not, but check that out before you buy.

Headstock drama. You need to really dig deep and understand if you are willing to have the constant indeterminate fear of your Gibson headstock breaking. Like inside the hard case sitting on it's long edge (like you do with guitars in guitar cases coming home tired from a gig) and the dog tips the case over onto the floor in its excitement to see you home. You decide to sell it and pack carefully and ship across the state and the new buyer opens it up and broken headstock returns to you. Don't let your buddy play it because he's hard on everything. You'll hear people that "well I never broke my headstock for 40 years!" but you'll also see postings about the struggle of "I just bought a guitar and I think it has a headstock repair" to "anyone know who can fix this?" A good used guitar will sell for about half of new, but a headstock repaired guitar will sell for a quarter of new. Are you willing to take that hit? For some that means something, others blow that kind of money on trinkets at Disneyland and don't worry about it.

Neck dive. Make sure you have a suede-backed guitar strap for this guitar. And don't you dare put heavy locking tuners on it or you'll complain.

Make sure you want the tonal palette of the SG as the neck pickup is closer to the bridge due to the neck glue joint and frets than a Les Paul. If you want the tones of a Les Paul for cheaper then get another brand that makes something like an LP. Switching between LP and SG neck pickups is like switching between a Strat neck and middle pickup which is easy to test if you can get a Strat -- as position has a big influence on tone.

Alternatives:

Epiphone SG G-400, these are really quite good models. I've had many of them (bought to flip), best are more recent 2015s+, or the late 90s MIK.
    PRS SE 24 fret models -- because the neck pickup is pushed closer to the bridge just like the SG.
    There's a Phil-X signature model shaped like an SG, Framus brand, only a single bridge pickup though.
    ESP/LTD make something of an offset SG.

You can get any of those and then install Gibson pickups and pots+caps if you want.

... My Epiphone, which is stock except for the tone caps, gets all the SG play time while the Gibson stays in the case. The Epiphone plays easy, sounds great, I don't have to worry about it, and it's fun -- which is all any guitar can do.

mimmo likes this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

Okay, okay - the sounds I'm thinking about are fingerpicking ( always ), chickin' pickin', lots and lots of country-blues style sounds, double-stop grunt, fast rolls, lots of slurs, some bending. I basically don't know how to use a pick any more, it's really sad.

Consequently - I play clean to clean-ish mostly, and I find pedals to be anything from kind of cool to a nuisance, I like my delay and compressor and rarely even use my distortion pedal, but most of the time I just plug straight in and use the volume and tone on the guitar to control the grit.

I have a three low/medium-watt tube amps I use depending and get tweed, vox, and blackface-ish tones out of them. I tend to use the low-gain input for less crunch and more syrupy singing distortion at acceptable volumes.

I'm strictly a home player, not a professional, not very good although I know some theory.

I appreciate how well the guitar works ergonomically sitting on the couch, how well it sounds unplugged, how well it stays in tune. I like simple, and durable. My main guitar is my Telecaster, but I have two OM/000 guitars and a National tricone that I use sometimes for bottleneck too. I have a lap steel that I use to get my David Lindley on with.

I'm warming up to the idea of a SG Special with the P90's. Is intonation a problem with them? If it's like a Telcaster and compensated 3-barrel saddles it probably isn't a problem.

[​IMG]

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

just got this VERY rough demo back from studio."SUPERFICIAL"...2014 Gibson SGJ strait into fender Super Reverb RI..used RAT to bump for lil leads..not much..just a pop..its not finished but you can hear the SG

Bruxist, Sean Mac and Wallaby like this.
  6. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

61418258_2153606768264472_5968231428616355840_n.jpg

A 2018 SG Standard in ebony landed in my lap recently - result of a trade. It's a fantastic guitar. Does anything you want. Twangs and honks if needed. It's a keeper. Find a 2017 or 18 used for under 1000.

7. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

Yes, I hear it in there - nice recording @btfender, thanks for posting it, I really appreciate it. Can I assume that there is track-wide compression going on?

From the kind responses ( thank you everybody so far! ) I am getting a nice, genuine and enthusiastic vibe - thank you.

8. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

its not mixed at all yet...my amp is mic'd. 2 mic;s only used a Rat for the leads, Played my Ibby bass strait into the board. When the master comes back its "alive" lol studio pic of amp that day SRRIstudio.jpg

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I would buy a Standard. Enjoy it. They’re fantastic guitars. In 2011 I paid $1100 for a new red standard. The neck is a comfy fatty. The neck binding is beautiful. The wood grain is really pretty (yes SG’s can be pretty). I love the clean and dirty tone and unlike some of my Les Pauls I can stand up comfortably and play an SG all night in a bar if need be. I gigged a Black Special for years. I bought a 2016 Black Standard used with hard case (minty) for $900 delivered 2 years ago. I love the Standards so much that I have red and black. I also have an SG Junior and a Faded that I take to crappy bars in winter.

I understand that you have a lofty budget. Buy a Standard new or used. Buy a used one and you can buy a new Princeton Reverb with the left over cash!

I’ve had P90 SG’s and they are great but I’d start with humbuckers. I’ve had mini humbuckers and I had an Epi Emily the Strange. All so comfy.

Get a Standard!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    And maybe bring it home with that Princeton Reverb or a pair of powered JBL 12” PA speakers!

Doooooo it.

I enjoy enabling people. :cool:

backporchmusic and Bruxist like this.
  10. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

This x10. I always hear about neck dive on SGs. With the right strap this problem virtually disappears.

11. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Play as many as you can!

12. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

Do I understand that my left arm ( I am right-handed ) will be extended farther than it would when playing with a Telcaster? That is something to think about then, and it's concerning, thanks.

I knew there was something there, but couldn't quite put my finger on what it would be - but with the longer neck on an identical scale length the neck pickup is pushed back toward the bridge, I get that and again, thank you.

It makes me think the neck pickup has less mud and greater note separation with chords and ringing notes.

13. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

No intonation problems.
    I've owned several SGs going back to 1968 when I bought a SG Standard with the whammy bar/big chrome tail piece.
    I've since gone to Specials and currently own a Les Paul Double Cut faded, 2004, which to me is closer to an SG than a LP. Great guitar.
    SG Specials and LPDCs are commonly available for not too much $$. Great pickups. Just buy it and play guitar!

Mark

14. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Play a lot of them. I had a '75 SG and just never got comfortable with it and finally sold it. The neck was also wonky. Couldn't keep it in tune or intonate it to save my life. But I really liked how it looked and sounded. For me, Teles are the most comfortable guitars to play. It's so individual so good luck in your search!

15. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That’s beautiful, man.

16. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Several folks have said to play before you buy. This is very important with the SG. I had a 2017 ($1,700) that had such bad neck dive I gave it to my nephew. I have a "vintage" 1973 Deluxe that is the lightest and easiest guitar to play, out of the 20 guitars I currently have. Body weights versus neck weights have varied over the years. Other than that, it's mostly body colors and pickup differences.

Dismalhead likes this.
  17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I saw a '13 for sale for a great price. The seller described the neck as thin. Were these consistent through the years?

18. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

No, it's not like a Firebird, it plays a lot like a Tele, maybe a little easier because it's very light, has a shorter scale length, and access to the upper frets is unimpeded with the double cutaway, and (in my case), joined to the body at the 19th fret. But as everyone else has said, play a lot of them, until you find the right one. A lot have neck dive, but some don't, they are all a little different! You'll know it when you find the right one.

Also, neck dive won't be an issue, if you are never going to play it standing up. But believe me, you don't want neck dive, if you ever do play standing up...something to consider.

19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Play'em, watch for ones that are neck heavy. I've had two, still have my first. Both were super light and well balanced.

If it were me, I'd get one with P90s. Really like that Pelham Blue too.

20. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I don't know. I think I read somewhere that SGs are mainly metal guitars... ;)

Steve 78 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.