Need advice about an SG

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Wallaby, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I am pretty sure I'm going to buy an SG, but I'm sorting through all the information I can find and it's slow going, so I thought I'd ask those more knowledgeable - if you had $1,500 - $2,000 to buy an SG, what would your choice be?

I *think* I've narrowed my choices down to an SG Standard or an SG Standard '61 2019, but there are LOTS of other choices I am finding, and a bewildering array of details to grasp. What I think I want right now could easily change with some new piece of information I discover.

Like - 19th fret join? 22nd fret join? Long tenon? Volute? Burstbuckers? Other pickups? Batwing guard? Vibrola? Neck pickup position? Rigidity?

It's definitely another world from the cozy comfortable Telecaster that I know and love.

I appreciate your responses, and what I hope I learn from you!

Thanks.

2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I bought a 2017 SG Standard. I really like it but I also played it before I bought it. I actually think you are over thinking it and should go play those two and decide which one you prefer. Mine has 57 Humbuckers and I like them better than the Burstbuckers. Opinions vary good luck.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I just saw a new Special.
    Wraptail.
    P90s.
    Perfection.

4. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I have a '61 reissue from 1999 and I will never get rid of it. Wish I could tell you that they're built just like that today, but I really don't know. My advice is try to buy used, especially if you can go play it. I got mine for $900 years ago. EDIT: '57 classic pickups are near and dear to my heart.

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Mostly use Sg's. I favor my 14 SGJ the 61 alnico's are one of the best pickups i have ever used. They clean up & have a grit to em & almost use it for every lead in studio work & on jazz gigs. SGJ hasmaple neck & its a very crisp -fast guitar. 11 faded is my 2nd fav 490/490, it has a much more rounded neck.have standard with 57's..maybe too familiar sounding, leave it at my friends studio for him to use. found that one for 700..SGJ was found for 400 & faded for 525. yesterday just got LPJ DC p90 & been a/b comparing these 3 all day for a song next week. The SGJ always gets the nod..have a song coming back any day now where i used SGJ for full chordal work into Super Reverb very clean..was excellent & then just bumped it a lil with a RAT for some color. If you are getting new the 2019 Gibson i got yesterday was flawless

Treynor and Sean Mac like this.
  6. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I like the 19th fret joints because I think they're a little more stable and I actually like the batwing pickguards (though that's a subjective thing).

Up until about 5 years ago the Standards had a distinct neck shape. It may or may not be your cup of tea but if you like it you should be able to find one.

Mine was probably $800 or $900 new in 2010.

7. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I haven't tried any recent SGs. I have owned 2: 2003 Gibson SG Voodoo which was my main guitar for a long time and Epiphone G400 which was a backup. They are very different guitars. Epi was light, neck-dive and fairly anemic pickups. The Gibson is solid, heavy (4kg / 9lbs), absolutely no neck dive, well balanced and a very nice guitar. Even better when I swapped out the pickups to P94s.

My advice is to go out and play them because, from what I have read online, there is a lot of variation.

8. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

It's always weird when someone wants help with a selection without sharing the tonal goal/end point (where you want to go).

Anywho,

I had a 50th Anniversary DG24 and loved it.
    I had an early 2000's SG Standard and loved it

Feel and tone wise, the difference was negligible to me.

I've always like the 2011 SG Pete Townsend in white and they sell for $1500 or under.

Typing this is almost like talking myself into getting an SG again.

Best of luck.

9. bftfender

here some of em, epi 66 has burstbukers & the Iommi has the I SGfam (2).jpg ommi Gibson pickups

Treynor and Dismalhead like this.
  10. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I would trust this man, bftfender, with any SG questions that you have! ha ha, i thought i was hooked!

bftfender likes this.
  11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Gibson will mess with specs from year to year, such that neck profile will be thicker an thinner from year to year. The 61 reissue is going to be more consistent spec-wise year to year.

I wouldn't rush into buying, and play as many as you can for 6 months of shopping. Then buy once you really know what you like.

I favor thin necks, 57 classics, batwings, and 24 fret necks for added stability. And a maetsro trem with nylon saddles. To each his own!

lil scotty likes this.
  12. bftfender

friend wound me a 12k & 9.5, p100's,keep this in D tuning for swampy stuff Ephrata Borough-20160407-00749(1).jpg

13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I have the same model from 2001. It has become a part of me. I'll never sell it either. I 100% back your advice.

lil scotty likes this.
  14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I've had 4 or 5 SGs. My 61 Reissue is my favourite guitar of all time (so far out of over 25 years & 250 guitars). It's the only guitar I've kept & not modified. 57 Classics can easily do a wide variety of styles.

15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

the last SG I bought was a standard - $600. sold it a little later for $650. you can buy good SG's for less than a 1000 bucks all day long.

GGardner and studio1087 like this.
  16. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I really want one of those SGJ's.

The LPJ with the fat maple neck is my favourite guitar ever.

Incredible value and the best looking SG too :)

Treynor, lil scotty and bftfender like this.
  17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

With your stated budget you should find the dreamboat SG. Neck profiles and neck dive vary dramatically.....play as many as you can.

At the high end of your budget you could easily score a pair of killer SG's

18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Here is my 2012 Std. Big chunky neck, batwing PG and 490/498 pickups. A definite rock machine. It does clean up ok but that's not really what it likes

If you get the 57 Classics you'll probably like them. I have them in my LP and 339. Probably my favorite pickups

20180301_185319.jpg

GGardner and bcorig like this.
  19. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I have a 2014 '61 reissue and I love it. It has the '57 classics. If I had $1500-$2000 to buy an SG I would at the very least buy the 2019 '61 reissue and would probably go the extra $ for the Gibson vibrola version just because I love the way it looks (without the bar).

20. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I've owned 4 different SG's now, and the 2 that stand out for me, were both small pickguard Standards. Both also had '57 classic pickups, (my fav. for SG's). One was a '61 reissue that I liked a lot, BUT, I had neck dive issues with it, so we (unfortunately) couldn't bond. My 1st 2 batwing Standards looked great, but both had 490R/498T pickups, which I didn't like as well as the '57 classics, and they both had neck dive issues as well.

I acquired back in March of this year, a '17 SG Standard, with '57 classics, small pickguard, & locking Grovers, in Pelham Blue, (my 1st 3 SG's were all Heritage Cherry), and it has NO neck dive...my first keeper after 4 tries. Finding an SG I could bond with was a chore, but in the end, definitely worth the trouble...I LOVE this thing! Good luck on your search for the right SG, it can be a fun journey.

P.S. I almost forgot, I paid $800 for it, and it was in pretty much unplayed condition!
    17 SG Std 3.JPG

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.