Need advice ,1973 Fender telecaster deluxe authentication

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Lotion12, Sep 5, 2019.

Should i buy it for 1.5k Dollars

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

That's a legit Fender and like Matthias points out, an early one. Some Deluxes had those tuners and all had those bridge saddles. Buy it and give the nice man his asking price.
    You're getting a vintage guitar at a great price with stellar sounding pickups.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    cjp60, MickM, hrstrat57 and 2 others like this.
  2. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

It looks like it has the filled pin router holes in the back too, but the locations are more like those on a Strat. I would buy it at that price in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  3. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks like the 75 I used to own- reasonable price for sure

Attached Files:

4. Lotion12

Lotion12 TDPRI Member

Hey guys ! Thank you all for your replies ,

What do you say about this attached photo ?

I sent money btw . my friend will try it and let me know about it.

Attached Files:

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

All par for the course for late 70s Fender. Can be good guitars despite all the little 'oops'. Just play it and don't expect perfect fit/finish as per a new CNC build.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

The neck alignment can often be fixed by loosening the neckplate screws a little, then give the neck a gentle yank to center it on the strings better. Then re-tighten the screws. It doesn't look bad, though, I would probably leave it. Also, if you end up owning it, have someone take a look at the nut; the slots look too deep on the smaller string side. This can be corrected by filing off the excess nut material, until the strings are closer to the top surface, or even above it a bit.

7. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The string alignment can be fixed easily, as on all bolt neck guitars. Loosen the neck bolts, push the top of the neck to the left so the strings are centered, tighten the neck bolts.

8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is early 70s, just before they switched to the new cutting machines that spelled the (temporary) end of the notch on the neck pocket. The big QA issues, I believe, came from late 70s cost-cutting. So I suspect it’s linked to the refinish. On that side of the body and the cutaway, there might be evidence of over-aggressive sanding from stripping the previous finish. Hard to tell without the guitar in hand. However, the Deluxe pickguard did fit a little oddly and could go all the way to the contour in some places on the treble side, so it’s hard to get a good reference. It could also be that the refinish is a bit thicker just there. It could just be some wear that’s tricking the eye and looking like light reflecting off the contour.

As long as the neck and insides are good, I think it’s all reflected in the price. Because of the expensive pickups, these won’t dip below a certain price even with issues. I’m seeing these up for sale in Europe for anything up to $4k equivalent when pristine.

You definitely have a replaced high E saddle, by the way. If you decide to replace it, the cheapest replacements are off the Fender Lead... look for saddles stamped 011032.

9. Lotion12

Lotion12 TDPRI Member

Do you think that is a sign of that body is a geniune ?

fenderchamp likes this.
  10. Lotion12

Lotion12 TDPRI Member

i just noticed that this does not look like the other 73 deluxes.

And, i still couldnt reach that guitar by my friend. he will send it via shipping.

i ll take the risk and will buy it without playing it.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 05.04.00.png

11. diego_nu

diego_nu TDPRI Member

Your guitar Is in the transition era.
    That detail Is one thing that i see on an original body.
    I love the look.
    Great buy.

12. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

I would say it is a good sign it is genuine. It's possible someone could have faked a body and added the pin router holes, but it is 70s model, and I don't see why someone would go through all of that trouble for a CBS era instrument. But again it is possible.

Go to Reverb.com and search for 1973 Telecaster Deluxes. You see that beauty mark on the back of the upper horn in your 5th and 7th pictures? You can see it in the same location on some of them there. Also look at the prices they are asking!

Here is one listed that has a distinct router hole in the same location as yours:

https://reverb.com/item/26051431-fender-telecaster-deluxe-mocha-1973

Good luck!

13. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Here are some shots of my '73 Deluxe, it's all original. 518XXX serial number, has a pot with a 9th week of '73 date.

73_TELE_DLX-1.jpg

73_TELE_DLX-2.jpg

73_TELE_DLX-4.jpg

73-deluxe.jpg

73-deluxe-pocket.jpg

14. Lotion12

Lotion12 TDPRI Member

Hey brothers, i finally have it. It full original, just frets are busted. All perfect . Now plays perfect. Thanks for all your help . It was a perfect deal.

SecretSquirrel, velomand and CWP0126 like this.
  15. Lotion12

Lotion12 TDPRI Member

Hey brothers thanks for your help. It was a great buy with your help. I appreciate All your help and support. Nice to have you ❤️ 885577E9-4F26-4A37-9E6D-F60CD124738B.jpeg 3C7109C5-5693-4276-AACC-BF4B69CBF0D3.jpeg BC98A670-DE8F-4846-922E-AA203EC31533.jpeg 4FF6C4ED-AC51-46F2-9151-D96725DACC76.jpeg B0C95744-CBD6-4A46-B136-82EFE1ECB3BB.jpeg CD1C91E6-325E-492A-92CD-F44E8D67F0EE.jpeg 3ABA2589-DF2D-4BDE-B57A-FDAEFBC94A05.jpeg

16. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

It all looks legit. Tuners are standard "Made in W. Germany" Schallers typical of that era. Looks like a Sienna burst, rare (I have a '78 Custom that looks similar) with a matching headstock, possibly an export option at the time. Most likely not an Antigua as those fade more towards green. Enjoy!

17. Lotion12

Lotion12 TDPRI Member

New frets bigsby and mastery

Attached Files:

18. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Man, that is awesome! I don't think I've seen one for that price over on this side of the pond in many years. You got a great deal!

19. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

If that was the original finish or not it looks great. I like those subtle fades like that.

I don't understand the obsession over strings/polepieces. The magnetic field isn't razor wire thin under a vibrating string. That looked within reason for those pickups. The strings look centered down the neck & pickup to me. Loosening the neck to move it just to close the neck pocket gap would have thrown the alignment off imo.

Anyhoo, it looks like you got it sorted & are on your way. Great buy. I'd love to hear those pickups.

20. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Frets look to me like they have been stoned flat, but not crowned.? There might be enough frets height left to do a crown job on it, before you go to expense of having new frets fitted.
    Mike.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.