Need a switch for your 50s Broadcaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PeterUK, Feb 27, 2021.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

telemnemonics and Fendereedo like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not see that at all either, but if your a collector, then I guess you'll stop at nothing. I'm sure someone will buy it.

Tonetele and PeterUK like this.
  3. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Well that's just plain silly.

Midnighttoil, Fendereedo and PeterUK like this.
  4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

And i thought the guy who's been trying to sell a 50s LP jackplate for $150 on craigslist for the last few years was out to lunch. This guy isn't just out to lunch, he owns the friggin restaurant.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. PeterUK

But is it?

You have a 1950 Broadcaster or Esquire that doesn't play and your $50k+ investment doesn't play because of a dodgy switch.

Do you leave it as an unplayable ornament, stick in a crappy $15 replacement or buy one of these and get in playing - and looking - right?

I'm playing devils advocate here, but it is $$$$$! o_O

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

...and he separated the original switch tip from it, and is selling at $250.

Both of these items are far from the most sought after parts for old Teles. They were parts used on all sorts of electronics at the time. The tips, in particular, are rather inexpensive.

I can see him getting a couple hundred bucks for these parts. That makes some kind of sense. $1,000 for them, and not even from a black guard Fender in the first place? Ain't gonna happen.

PeterUK likes this.
  7. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Hasn’t the “seller” ever heard of a Solder Sucker. I’d get that thing cleaned up before posting it.
    I know he’s looking for a Sucker.

Lost_N_Austin

DougM, PeterUK and Doorlord like this.
  8. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

PeterUK likes this.
  9. PeterUK

Crazy, isn't it?

I discovered a guy call James at Rewind Electric in Washington, UT and he produces a replica 'old' switch and output jack for $64.00.

He's great to deal with and sells him stuff on eBay under the seller name 'rewindelectric'.

I've used his knobs, switches and jacks and he's delightful to deal with. If getting that vintage look 'under the hood' is important to you, he's your man.

No affiliation other than being a repeat purchase customer.

Here's that hardware I'm assembling for my 0331 replica (I own The Blackguard Book with this serial number, which is my birthday :)).

Attached Files:

bumnote likes this.
  10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

If you are a genuine collector of period correct pieces then you'll pay.
    Personally , It's unseen and a CRL switch from Fender works for me.

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

But, put any of these bits into a guitar of the correct year and it’ll still be non-original. Surely it’d make more sense to replace with new to give reliability and retain the old for provenance?

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Established with the proceeds from selling old Fender parts!

PeterUK likes this.
  13. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

I had to sell my Broadcaster...health reasons. Wish I had it back. But I really enjoyed playing it. It just is a wonderful guitar and I am sure quite collectable. But my brother installed "better parts" in it CTS pots and other parts, but he insisted on a $10 switch. It went back and forth from Broadcaster to Telecaster. But, if I were a collector, the Broadcaster would be at the top of the list. Sorry to get off the subject. Come to think of it, I do not believe I have ever seen a used Broadcaster for sell except mine, and man did it sell quickly. That screams collectable!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    PeterUK likes this.
  14. PeterUK

It reminds me of the crazy value of the milled jack cup 20-years ago.

The historically focused (on the Telecaster) Webers Board run by 0le Fuzzy brought this specific part to my attention.

Only used on instruments from 1950 and 1951 (I say instruments because they were used on the Fender lapsteel guitars too) they were like gold. Because of their rarity, if one came up on eBay they would sell for $250. Fender CS were producing them for the Nocaster but they were 'unobtanium'.

I spotted one on in a pile of screws and CS Tele hardware on eBay and they were hovering at $50. In the final minutes the $1 bids were flying in so 10-seconds before the end I bid $1000!! Huge gamble.

The $1 bids pushed the total up to $72 and I'd won!

I sent the milled jack cup to the late Brian Poe at Hightech Tool (Dale at Glendale took on production after that) and the replicas were so good (and $25) that the high prices for the genuine ones halved overnight.

With high quality replica hardware & switches available, it's getting easier to recreate a replica. Just authentic tuners and pots are are difficult to recreate. :)

@teleplayer99 maybe you can build a replica of your beloved Broadcaster.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.