1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need a smaller SD1.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, Feb 10, 2021.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Pretty near, but the difference between asymmetrical (BOSS) and symmetrical clipping (Ibanez/Maxon) is important to some people.

2. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Just beware the little blue LED for the boost switch is BRIGHT in a dark environment. Like hurt your eyes bright.

There's some good prices on eBay for them. PM me and I might have a store name that I am not affiliated with that usually has good prices.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Jakedog likes this.
  4. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

JuneauMike and Jakedog like this.
  5. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I use my SD1 with the drive turned down and the volume up, so the type of clipping doesn't really matter. But I understand not everyone uses it that way. (And I've been too lax about ear protection over the years, so I might be missing the fine details.)

Anyway, I hope Jakedog finds the little SD-1 he wants. Seems like someone would make one.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Jakedog and E5RSY like this.
  6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

According to the website below, It would appear that the Ultra Drive is an DS-1 clone not SD-1

https://spartanmusic.co.uk/blogs/smblog/15841084-inexpensive-pedal-clones-a-list

Unfortunately it does not list an SD-1 clone. Though it was interesting to read what my pedals are supposedly clones of. I just bought them because they were inexpensive and I liked the sound they helped me make. A Joyo Ultimate Drive, along with a Caline Englishman and Crazy Cactii. I also have an MXR Distortion + which I bought new in '76.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I believe that the Daphon E200D is a SD1 clone, but they're hard to find. I almost got one recently one Ebay, but someone beat me to it

E5RSY and Jakedog like this.
  8. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Zero space taken on your Pedal Train Micro-Mini:
    [​IMG]

9. E5RSY

Well, if nothing else, I now know about that Modified MXR OD. Had no clue it existed. Looks pretty cool.

10. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Zakk Wylde is a noted SD-1 user but when he started endorsing MXR they made him a signature MXR overdrive, which sounded like the SD-1.

I did have one and it’s smaller and lower profile than a Boss pedal if memory serves. Should be able to get one second hand for reasonable money.

That’s the boy:
    6870DC67-641E-4F3D-BE70-B39483397D7C.jpeg

Iago, grguitar and Jakedog like this.
  11. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Maybe the SD-1 isn't the pedal to replace - the Boss TU-3 Tuner is big and there are plenty of great mini tuners or even their TU3-S tuner, which would let you put a mini pedal under it... I went to a smaller board a few years ago, and in doing so changed up a few pedals. Keeley Compressor was great, but found the Xotic SP Compressor gave me more control, a mix knob, and 1/2 the space. Same with the Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay Mini - got to take my original 1983 Analog Delay off the board and got the same great sound (with added bonus of a glitch that changes pitch randomly, introducing warbling that I dig).

I tried to replace my main overdrive, an original Barber Direct Drive, with their V3 version that's almost 1/2 the width. Returned it the same day as it didn't sound the same.

Look to other pedals to reduce the width so you can keep using that SD-1...

12. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

MXR had a SD-1 pedal out several years back called the "Classic Distortion". I think they were just sold at Guitar Center and were $20. It's not miniature, but is somewhat smaller than the Boss compact pedal form.

bendercaster, Chiogtr4x and Jakedog like this.
  13. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I love Marshalls but I have to admit that looks like a good ad for Ampeg.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. E5RSY

Think those were actually DS-1 clones, instead of SD-1.

15. E5RSY

You know, I know it's not technically an overdrive, but I was playing with my brother's MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion awhile back. With DIST turned down lower it put a huge smile on my face with its OD-ish sounds. Plus, that CRUNCH switch is pretty fun. Something to consider if the MXR-size box is acceptable.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You can get asymmetrical clipping out of the MXR Timmy. Obviously, the EQ is different. I have a Donner Blues Drive on my board, and I also have an old SD-1 in my stash. I really should do an A/B/C comparison.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

SD-1 is king. I’ve looked for a mini version also, but none exist that I’ve found. A TS9 and SD1 sound nothing alike. And the mini TS is a mini 808 more than a 9 and I’ve bought and sold three trying to like it. I just can’t stand it.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. E5RSY

Might also consider MXR's little Sugar Drive. Definitely a mini. Supposedly a Klone with a mid-hump.

KW1977 and Jakedog like this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I own both, since they came out eons ago, at GC, and I think they sound great.

The Classic Distortion, IMO
    ( note: mine was 'modded' from a tweak I got here!- removing 1 cap or resistor to make it brighter)

is more like a a moderately dirty boost, with some sizzle, plenty of output ( I call it my ' Layla album' pedal, as it is nasty good with a clean Fender amp)

And the MXR Classic Overdrive is really bold and powerful, and has a lot of range in those 3 knobs. To me it's like a p*ssed off Tube Screamer.

Both good, cheap fun!

20200701_085733.jpg

bendercaster and Jakedog like this.
  20. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Doxasound on Reverb can make you a custom mini one.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.