need a small cheap tube amp, help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tahoebob54, Mar 30, 2019.

1. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Holic

I need a new amp and I don't have very much money, I just sold a Fender Hotrod Deluxe, but it was way to much amp for my needs and I needed the money. My playing ability is very limited and I only play at home as I am still beginner. I am only going to need this amp for about 4 or 5 months as I am having a friend build a small boothill 5F1 but is going to be longer than excepted.

I have been looking at two small tube amps. first one is a Monoprice 5-Watt, 1x8 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker

Monoprice 5-Watt, 1x8 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker

or the Bugera BC15 15W 1x8 Vintage Tube Guitar Combo Amp.

Ok here is the kicker, I don't know squat about all the teck stuff means, they could have said that both amps are powered by dilithium crystals and I would not know the difference. I have 3 guitars that I play. MIM Telecaster, Gibson LP, and a Squier VM Jag with P90's.
    Both amps are in the $125.00 range and I really cannot go any higher in price at this time, I think that tube amps just sound better. I have been checking CL and nothing has been on lately. any info and advice will be helpful.

guitarmoron likes this.
  2. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

If it’s just for a few months practice why don’t you just go solid state? It’ll save you the extra cash

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

mono....

Ex-riverman likes this.
  4. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

buy a used ss amp off craigslist -- small fender, peavey or a vox pathfinder...

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Orange Micro Terror and Dark Micro 20watt amps that are kick-a** for little money. They also have a small 3watt amp for around 60 bucks.
    Blackstar has some small ones too.
    If you want SS I'd get a Boss Katana, can't beat what your getting for the money.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Buy a Blackstar fly 3 stereo pack. They sound great for playing through at home and you can run your tv and laptop through it too, backing tracks etc. Best sounding amp I own for playing in the lounge room without killing people with volume. They still get plenty loud enough for the room and they are portable, batteries or power cord.
    I don't like modelling amps, fender mustang, vox valvtronix, line 6 etc but I like the fly 3.
    You can just get one without the second speaker for under $50 bucks and it works just as well. No pedals required.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    JustStartingOut likes this.
  7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

Of the two you've listed, avoid the Bugera BC15. Give it a berth so wide it disappears over the horizon. Prod it not, lest it attacks you.

The Monoprice is a Laney Cub 8 in disguise. Fine sounding, but a little limited. It needs to be quite loud to wake up. This may be too loud. You're basically getting a higher quality take on it in a while anyway. Not without considerable charm though.

For long term usability after the stop-gap need has passed, ie, it has more than one trick up its sleeve, another vote for the Blackstar Fly 3 stereo pack. It sounds way better than you'd think, makes a good speaker system for computers, can run backing tracks for play-a-longs and has a headphone socket that doesn't make your guitar sound like a banjo being violated.

scout2112 and bgmacaw like this.
  8. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Monoprice Stage Right 15 Watt.

9. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

VHT Special 6 Ultra combo.
    6 watts , sounds excellent !!! and it will grow with you.
    Low power switch takes it down to three watts (can still be loud at half power)
    two 12AX7 pre amp tubes and a single 6V6GT power tube.
    Very tweakable !
    The most underrated amp on the market.
    can be found used on Reverb for under 300 bucks.
    Real tube tone, hand wired and built to last.

Then you'll have two sweet sounding amps when the build is done :cool:

10. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

If it's between those two, and you just absolutely can't wait for your awesome new Boothill to arrive, I'd say Monoprice, or even better, a used solid state amp for under $100 like a Peavey Envoy or something.

What will happen to the amp after you get your 5f1? I'm guessing you will be selling it? Another good reason to look for a used amp instead of a new one. Or maybe even play unplugged for a few months? Get a $40 Vox Amplug and headphones? If I'm waiting for my steak to arrive I don't want a McDonald's hamburger to tide me over! :D

Also for the record the Bugera is not a tube amp - it is a hybrid: solid state power amp with a tube preamp. There are some hybrid amps out there that I like, but that Bugera isn't one of them.

11. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Your two original ideas are both fine. Also consider Fender Mustang. I got the Mustang I used for $60 and it’s great as a low volume practice amp.

RadioFM74 and Slowisfast like this.
  12. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Cheap and tube amp should not be in the same sentence. Buy a Boss Katana.

SheldonP, littlebadboy and DaphneBlue like this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I have the Monoprice 5w. It's good, reminds me of my '64 Champ to some degree. But, as @Chunkocaster mentioned, you have to get it loud enough to annoy people for it to sound good. What I use most of the time is a Hotone Mojo Diamond head where I can get good sounds at more controllable volume levels.

Chunkocaster and DuckDodgers like this.
  14. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

Monoprice 15.

The Angry Possum and MrClint like this.
  15. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    This. The little thing never ceases to amaze me.

perttime, Dismalhead and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Not a tube amp, but would a Boss Katana 50 fancy you?

It has tons of preamp sims and effects. It's also an interface for your DAW when you start recording. It practically has everything you'll ever need.

The Angry Possum and Zepfan like this.
  18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

By a used tube amp and I would go with a 10” or 12” speaker instead of an 8” speaker.

Plus by buying used, you could probably resell the temporary amp, and not loose money when your new amp is ready.

19. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

Monoprice 5 watter is a fine little amp! You also might try a Blackstar ID 20--fun little stereo modeler that sounds surprisingly good. I've seen b-stocks or demos for $100 or less, also check used for around $100.

20. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Spend $50 for a used Peavey and when your ready to move on it will still be worth $50, if you can find a used Bandit for under $100 you may never need anything else. Best of luck!

reckless meanie and D_W_PGH like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.