Need a Shop Vac

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SacDAve, Aug 27, 2019.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an 18v Ridgid vac. Really like it. Ridgid is making some cool stuff these days.
    Actually, I've got 11 of their battery tools that share 5 batteries.

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Ours sprung a leak where the hose joins the body, but it was likely a result of carelessness. Otherwise, it has worked perfectly well.

SacDAve likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Ran Rigid brand shop vacs to supplement flood recovery work for more than 12 years, they make a good product. The advice that I offer is to go for the largest size that you can even if you doubt you would ever need that much capacity....some day you might and it will have a larger, more durable motor. Rigid also makes a nice electric pump-out that you can add to their Rigid vacs to save you a lot of time and hassle dumping.

TeleTex82, Mike Eskimo and SacDAve like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Whatever you get, build a "Thien Baffle Separator" for it. Some use a couple of 5 gallon buckets. I used one 5 gallon bucket and sandwiched it in between the vac's head and wheeled bucket so it looks like a taller robot vac. The filter doesn't get clogged now. Depending on what went out on your old one, maybe you can add a Thien and get more years out of it.

Mine is kind of like this one but the vac bucket and wheels are on the bottom, five gallon bucket Thien in the center, vac top and filter at the top.

PingGuo and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use a Ridgid 9 liter for woodworking. At this point I really need proper dust collection, but the vac does as good a job as I could hope for. It's given me zero problems, used daily for four years (8 months per year).

I don't have a cyclone, but the filter never gets clogged. The canister fills up first.

7. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

Usually when someone says their shop vac is going out on them... it is LOUD Bearing noise.
    I found it easy to remove the plastic shrouds and oil the top bearing and get quite a bit more life out of them.

kafka and Milspec like this.
  8. SacDAve

i've done that twice everything wears out soon or later

KG7IL likes this.
  9. jackleg

jackleg Tele-Meister

great product!!!

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

They all suck.

I got a great orange and gray one at a yard sale. Hose is 3inch..with attachments.
    for water and other.

KG7IL likes this.
  11. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Well, that's the idea anyway :lol:

I've a Shop Vac and a Rigid unit and am happy with the performance of both.

12. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's worth noting, a shop vac is not a suitable replacement for a dust collector.

Beating out the filter on my shop vac was by far one of my most hated activities.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had a big ridgid for many years... mine has been reliable and worked as intended! Proceed with confidence.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+100

Bigger is better with the Rigid vacs.

I’ll be in small bathrooms doing rip outs and sometimes I curse how much the monster vac is in my way/takes up space, but it sucks up anything and it’s lasted years now with near daily use.

Milspec likes this.
  15. SacDAve

I decided to go with the Rigid Vac as soon as the HD card arrives. I do have another big Craftsman Vac got to 25 years old still works but big for the shop/ garage. I also have a dust colletor for my shop tools so the 14 gallon is a good size and convent for vacuuming the car or brining in the house. So I cleaned and old the motor in the shop Vac but within a week that it sounded horable but it lasted many years I did have to replace the switch :cry: a couple years ago. Thanks for all the replies

IMG_5336.jpg IMG_5337.jpg

KG7IL likes this.
  16. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

Yeah. I put in a toggle switch rated at 15amps. But I really like the rebellion shown in your approach. I hate buying their special parts.. especially when they have short lives.

17. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

I have two Rigid vacs,Great stuff and I have there Cordless hammer drill and driver set with free cordless router.Im very Happy with them as well.

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

After having a Shop Vac with a removable blower I wouldn't buy one without one. Left that when I moved out of my girlfriend's place a few years ago. This spring I bought a Craftsman also with the blower, same store they just stopped selling Shop Vac brand. I made a run up to the Home Depot and Manards in Bemidji but the only ones in stock with the blower were smaller ones.
    If you use the blower for nothing else it's very handy for blowing off the filter when it's covered in cat hair, dog hair or old cellulose insulation.

19. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Figured this out recently.

Also, it's good to have both a big and a smaller shop vac. Although, really, just go nuts with vacuums. The world is a dirty place.

20. SacDAve

Thanks something to think about

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.