Need a set of cheapish vintagey Strat pickups for a couple of cheap Squiers.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by teleforumnoob, Jun 13, 2021.

1. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

One is a hardtail top loading swimming pool routed partscaster. Im pretty sure its plywood but has a decent Allparts maple neck on it It originally had 2 hot HBs in it. Now has SSS really terrible brittle and ice picky cheap Chinese ceramics in it. Mainly looking for a good middle pickup tone for Grateful Dead stuff for this one. I wouldn't mind a HB in the bridge but not essential, and a decent middle of the road Strat neck sound.

The other is a $150 Affinity I bought on a whim cause its Burgandy Mist and had a nice and dark rosewood board. The original pickups weren't too bad, a little brittle but way better than the cheap set in the other guitar. Right now it has a Fender Tex Mex Alnico 5 set in it w staggered pole pieces and I absolutely HATE THEM. Way too hot, they sound like there's an OD pedal on no matter what. They just don't clean up to my liking.

Any ideas? Dont wanna spend fortune on these cheap instruments, looking to give them away to a beginner at some point and just buy a better Strat.

2. alpinewhite

alpinewhite Tele-Meister

Take a look at Guitar Fetish. I'm sure you can find something you like.

3. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

The new MIM pickups are supposed to sound like vintage strat pickups. You can buy them from Stratosphere.

posttoastie likes this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar Madness 62z are vintage spec alnico 5s, that come in flat or staggered magnet versions, and with white, cream, or black covers, and the middle one is RWRP. The neck and middle are 50mm spacing, and the bridge is 52mm, for better string/pole alignment. They sound spectacular, and are $25 on Ebay, with free shipping from Staten Island. I've used them in several guitars, and they never fail to amaze me
    s-l160062z.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

stratisfied and bgmacaw like this.
  5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Those Guitar Madness pickups look like they could be a good choice. As an alternate (only slightly more money) look at Bootstrap.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

^ This.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

PM me if you're interested in a set of CS Fat '50s that I have no use for.

8. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

I have a couple pairs of these in budget builds also. They sound pretty good. The Tex-Mex get more yintage sounding if you lower them near-flush with the pickguard and I like the tone even better than these, at least to my ears anyway.

9. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Always keep an eye out for used pickups- I just got a set from a Squier CV '50s for $35 off my local FB marketplace. A lot of tonechasers punt perfectly good pickups out of guitars because they want to spend more money (the guy handed me the Squier pickups in a Lindy Fralin box).

1 21 gigawatts likes this.
  11. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

+1

12. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

Have you tried lowering them down against the pickguard? I actually love the Tex Mex Set, and have owned a couple of sets of them. I can get vintage "Dire Straits" sounds out of them any day of the week, and I don't have mine set particularly low.

13. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Holic

This would be the first thing I'd try. The Tex Mex set should be just fine for your purposes.

Guitarfetish...unfortunately, they've converted most of their pickups to their 'proprietary KwikPlug' system, which makes them a PITA to wire into standard harnesses.They still offer their $14.95 "blowout" Strat pickups with 2-conductor wire. They sound OK (I have a set in a Peavey Falcon), but they're ceramic. For a few bucks more, the Guitar Madness set would be a better option.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.