1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

need a picture of classic vibe control wiring

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by buckwalder, Jul 19, 2014.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I don't know if this is normal or if the guitar has a problem. The guitar in question is a CV vintage blond telecaster.
    The issue is that when I turn down the tone knob I lose quite a bit of volume. I took out the control plate and inspected the wiring but failed to see anything wrong, everything looked ok. What I did find strange, was that both leads of the tone cap are wired to the tone pot but after some research I found that this is the way these guitars are wired.
    So if anyone can provide a detailed picture of the actual stock wiring of this guitar I would be grateful.
    If this volume loss is normal then I'll just live with it.

2. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Pretty much the way things work.. there are a couple things you can do to help.. Search here for Fezz Parker mod, and Treble bleed.. if you're handy with a soldering iron either one should take 5 minutes.

3. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Thanks for the help. I guess if this is normal for a telecaster I will leave it alone for now.
    However, the wiring diagram shown on this page is not at all how my tele is wired. For instance, Mine has only one wire going to the output jack vs two. And the capacitor is soldered to the middle lug of the tone pot while the other leg of the capacitor is soldered to the tone pots casing. In the above wiring diagram the capacitor is soldered to both the volume and tone pots.
    I have seen pictures on (google images) of this models controls and they are the same as mine and not like the diagram provided here. The problem is, that those images aren't detailed or big enough for me to see everything.
    Maybe there's two different wiring configurations on these guitars.
    Thanks again

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's functionally the same.

5. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Correct me if i´m wrong, but the CV´s got the "modern wiring" and not the 50´s wiring...I would and probably will go for the 50´s wiring in my CV Telecaster...
    The other option would be to go for that "treble bleed" thing - very easy, just solder that cap to the volume pot...if i´m not wrong....

6. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Good to know, I may try that.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, the CVs have modern wiring.

When you turn down the tone know you're rolling off the highs so it's more the perception is the guitar is losing volume when all it's really doing is losing those highs and the guitar sounds muffled and darker.

Try replacing the stock .047 tone cap with one of a lower value like an .015. Less highs will be lost initially as you roll of the tone and the tone won't become muffled and dark as quickly.

The treble bleed mod is a different cat altogether. It's attached to the volume pot and prevents highs from rolling off as you reduce the guitar volume not the tone. The tone remains the same at all volume levels.

So you have a two pronged approach to try. 1) replace the tone cap to preserve more high end as you cut back on the tone knob, and 2) install a treble bleed mod on the volume pot to retain highs as you reduce volume. I think the combination of these will help you get what you want.

8. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Three prong approach if you include the Fezz Parker mod.. The lower cap value is a good idea too.. that would be my first move.

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The diagram being a 50's Tele has nothing to do with 50's wiring. It is the modern scheme.

10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

11. BUILTACASTER

BUILTACASTER TDPRI Member

Look at Emerson if you go this route. He hand makes several tele harnesses. I recently installed a four way setup for someone and it was easy to install and very neat and tidy. I'm not big on the four way thing but it worked well and I was impressed at what I saw when I opened the box. They're about half the price of the one in the link above too.

12. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Just did the treblebleed mod to my 50's CV and i'm more than satisfied with the result!

image-3933910903.jpg

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Right, three if you do this mod in place of the treble bleed but remember these two only affect the treble lost while lowering the guitar volume buckwalder. Your main issue is with the tone pot so swap that tone cap out for one with a lower value and see where that leaves you.

14. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Any wiring diagrams and suggested caps for the three prong attack? May do it to mine.

15. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would:

Fezz Parka, then .022µF cap on the pot.

All the Fezz mod is is soldering the wire from the tone pot to the MIDDLE volume pot terminal, instead of the outer ( with the wire from the selector switch).

I would try that, then if you don't like the treble loss (high loss) when you turn the VOLUME pot down a tad, you could do the high pass filter. That being a .001µ cap across the vol. pot terminals (not the grounded one).

If you still find the tone pot too aggressive ( gets too muddy from, about 6-0) then go with a .01 or .015 cap on the tone pot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.