Need a new wireless provider

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
When I lived in TX, I had Xfinity internet and phone. Having recently moved from TX to MD, Comcast/Xfinity does not provide internet service to my new home. As a result, they apparently had no choice but to increase my wireless phone bill by $25/month.

I called them and explained the situation and how it is not my fault they don't provide service to my home. They're still hellbent on charging me more money because I'm not bundling with them anymore. So I'm done with Crapcast/Crapfinity and looking to move mobile phone providers.

Any suggestions? I really would rather not go with one of the big carriers (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) because of pricing. I don't even use that much data...maybe less than a GB.

Thanks.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
We're in a major transition time where the major carriers' 5G rollouts will matter.

I get how important price is. If you choose a MVNO or smaller carrier you can be in circumstances where you will not have the reliability, performance and customer service. That may or many not be important. Just make sure you consider that before being unhappy.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Cricket uses the ATT network. Very reasonably priced if you have your own phone. My son likes them and he's the smartest tech guy I've ever known.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Straight Talk has been good for me for $35 a month (with an iPhone, less with old school phones) unlimited for about 10 years now.
Yes, Customer service is terrible but I seldom need it.

Buell

Tele-Holic
Tracfone. I switched from Verizon to Straight Talk about 5 years ago but did not care for Straight Talk. Tried Tracfone and couldn't be happier. $20/unlimited.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Tracfone. I switched from Verizon to Straight Talk about 5 years ago but did not care for Straight Talk. Tried Tracfone and couldn't be happier. $20/unlimited.
Huh? I go there thinking I can save 15 a month and and and....

1663609909652.png

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I switched to TMobile a few years ago and have been very, very satisfied. They have broader deployment for 5G than the other two majors. I left ATT and am paying about 60% of what we were costing out before the switch. Some folks have mentioned StraightTalk...I checked them out recently and there was zero savings with identical service. But for folks who have modest data needs, they are very competitive. If you are "above a certain age", they have even better rates, AFAIK.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
As said earlier, you get what you pay for.

No bargain that is usually a MVNO will have performance or customer service in same league but you might not need the best.

Something to consider with a first tier carrier is the rapid build out of 5G. Even if you don't need the speed you will get better coverage. For example, Verizon is filling in a lot of places that never used to have good coverage. The phones that work with 5G are in some cases not so expensive and in others downright fantastic.

A first tier unlimited package might not be so expensive if you consider the bundles and family plans.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Something doesn't sound right. Does Comcast/Xfinity provide digital TV cable service to your new home in MD?

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Consumer Cellular is what I have, $35 a month for the first line, $15 a month for each additional.
^^^^This in spades! Had Verizon.
They were charging me $187 a month for 3 cells and not a lot of data, plus a "landwired" phone (cell number that goes to this router thingy and connects with all the extension phones in the house).
Consumer Cellular charges me $80 a month for 3 cells with unlimited talk and text, the "landwired" phone, plus 10Gigs.
Go for it - it's one of the few good things about getting old!
As for internet, I have crazy fast 300Mbps from Sparklight for $80 a month.
So in aggregate, I'm still better off than with Verizon - and this includes WWW too!

jays0n

Friend of Leo's
Oh man, I soooooo need to do this too. I have had t-mobile for many years, and their prices were always great. However, there is almost no reception in my neighborhood. At home I have 1 bar and it is often showing 4G instead of the LTE I pay for. I cannot make calls or use the internet. I live in San Francisco, a pretty big city, do not understand why the service is so bad here. I have called many times and have spent hours on the phone with t-mobile tech staff, and they just say: you are in a dead zone. Ugh.

I’ll be watching this thread.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Oh man, I soooooo need to do this too. I have had t-mobile for many years, and their prices were always great. However, there is almost no reception in my neighborhood. At home I have 1 bar and it is often showing 4G instead of the LTE I pay for. I cannot make calls or use the internet. I live in San Francisco, a pretty big city, do not understand why the service is so bad here. I have called many times and have spent hours on the phone with t-mobile tech staff, and they just say: you are in a dead zone. Ugh.

I’ll be watching this thread.
I happy to keep this one bookmarked because we mostly use Verizon for work, and for family. I compared with T-Mobile and AT&T before our recent plan changes.

It is worth getting a decent customer service rep on the line and know discounts you might have available including if you get a loyalty discount. What seemed like an expensive mess with their web site was lowered cost with better plans when the CSR took care of us.

For work I have dedicated reps who make things easier.

From the looks, you might need plan change, newer phone or update carrier services because I see San Francisco is full of both flavors of their 5G, very strong ultra wide band, and little pockets of LTE.

FWIW, within 30 minutes of plan updates my same iPhone 12 Pro Max worked better in many places and got the performance of the new frequency bands.

For all, keep in mind some unlimited plans include services like Hulu or Peacock so that is a way to have a net savings for some. For example, I was happy to cancel them - the family account - and our kids took the "Play More" plan while I took the "Do More" plan.

FYI, a few mapping services like GaiaGPS have cellular coverage layers, and so do some phone-specific web sites.

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
Something doesn't sound right. Does Comcast/Xfinity provide digital TV cable service to your new home in MD?
They don't provide service to my home. No internet/TV/phone/whatever. Crapfinity doesn't consider me to be "bundling" services anymore so they're charging me $25 extra/month because of it. I have tried explaining to them THEY DON'T OFFER SERVICE HERE, so why do I get screwed out of $25 extra/month? It's not like I'm CHOOSING to not bundle, I CAN'T. They don't care & don't want to hear it, so as soon as I pay off the phone, I'm switching immediately.

Absolutely horrible.

ghostwolf

Tele-Holic
i got tired of being lied to by Verizon "customer service" reps, and having my monthly rate increased every time the "supervisor" intervened to correct the first rep's errors.
Fired Verizon and went with Consumer Cellular six years ago; couldn't be happier. All the service reps are in the U.S; English is their first language, nobody lies to me anymore, and i get unlimited everything for like 25 bucks a month.
Verizon can eat dirt & die.

kLyon

Tele-Afflicted
I switched to TMobile a few years ago and have been very, very satisfied. They have broader deployment for 5G than the other two majors. I left ATT and am paying about 60% of what we were costing out before the switch. Some folks have mentioned StraightTalk...I checked them out recently and there was zero savings with identical service. But for folks who have modest data needs, they are very competitive. If you are "above a certain age", they have even better rates, AFAIK.
I like T-Mobile as well and there's another reason: every data plan has free (slow, but workable) data and texts almost everywhere in the world.
It's great for travelling musicians: you get off a plane and your phone just works.
Many musicians I know have switched in the four or so years since they implemented this feature.