1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need a New Electric Razor!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, Mar 7, 2021.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I've had a BrAun 5614 for many years but now it looks like the batteries are no longer charging. I started looking for a new shaver and was kind of shocked to see the prices go from about $70-$500.

Any recommendations?

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve thought about going back to electric. I always used electric until about 20 years ago when I started using 3 blade razors.

3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Love my cut throat. Best shaver I ever bought.

4. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Braun Series 9 9370cc in 2018, and I like it, but the sideburn trimmer only works intermittently. One of these days, I really need to send it in for a repair.

5. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

I got a Panasonic foil electric shaver about 6 months ago and am very pleased with it. Shaves much closer and faster than the many rotaries I’ve had. It’s an Arc4 model ES 8243AA. About $100.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  6. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I can’t speak for today’s stuff but I inherited my Dad’s Norelco over eight years ago and it still cuts well with the original head. I’ve got a beard so it only shaves part of my face, but my Dad had whiskers made out of steel so I’m surprised it’s lasted.

I really liked the little Braun foil shavers but ran through two or of them because when it came time for a new foil I either couldn’t find it, or it cost as much as a new shaver. They sure were convenient when I used to do a lotta business travel.

Honest Charley likes this.
  7. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Is it possible to rebuild the battery pack?

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m on my third Norelco. Each one has been better than the last. The one I have now holds a charge forever.

I bring a Gillette Fusion with me when I travel. I shave in the shower using hotel conditioner in place of gel. I get a smooth close shave with no nicks or cuts. Special occasions always call for a shower shave. I probably have a lifetime supply of hotel conditioner in a zip lock in my bathroom closet.

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

SO...you’re the guy that takes all the paper cups and small soaps home

I wonder what happened to them

Edit: I had the job of cleaned out a deceased persons house and found a stash of hotel accessories a bunch of cups and soaps and stuff like that, you’re post made me think about it

JL_LI likes this.
  10. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Is it possible to get a replacement battery pack and/or send it into Braun for a repair?

11. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

If it's just the battery, a lot of shops that do shaver service can install a new one. Many shavers use one or two AA cells with tabs welded on; I'd imagine Brauns aren't much different.

12. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've shaved Norelco for decades now.

I won't have another rechargeable. I had an AT620 that lasted about 3 months and wouldn't take a charge. It didn't shave all that well either. I had an older one that worked pretty well until it wouldn't take a charge.

Fortunately I'd saved my corded Norelco. I'd bought replacement cutter heads that were all noisy and didn't shave well. I bought a new set of heads and now all is well. I never imagined that anyone would bother to counterfeit Norelco shave heads - but that seems to be the case. I don't know fore certain that I'd gotten counterfeit heads or if Norelco's QC was a fail. Now I've got a good set of heads and I like the razor again.

Corded is the way to go IMO.

13. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m not dead yet but when I go you can have the job. Your post reminded me of something. My wife and I spent a week at the Ritz Carleton in Maui a few years back. There was a Nespresso machine in the room. I told the housekeeper I liked one specific pod best and she made sure that there were always 6 or 8 in the drawer beneath the machine. My wife told her she really liked the shampoo and there was a laundry bag full of shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel on the bed on checkout day when we got back from breakfast. I get it. She works for a meager wage and lives for tips. We left $50. That’s expensive shampoo, or maybe not. We always leave $5 for each night at a resort.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Fretting out likes this.
  15. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I use to use Norelco, But I switched to Braun. I feel more of a man now. Actually, I am very pleased with it.

16. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Can't help, I still use double-sided safety razors myself.

I tried several over the years, but I just can't see the fascination with them. Seems so much slower and caused more razor burn than anything else, but then I was the guy who had to shave twice per day in the military.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.