Need a New Door for the House

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nightclub Dwight, Jun 23, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I just did this about two months ago. New double front doors to replace the original 60 year old double entry doors on my house. We paid $1100 for the doors themselves (fiberglass doors from Mastercraft), about $225 for the entry hardware, and I think $1800 for installation. So... $3125-ish for materials and labor? I live in St. Louis.

2. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Holic

The thing with steel doors is you can't really cut them back.

Nightclub Dwight and schmee like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ten thousand dollars for two doors? You gotta want new doors pretty bad....
    I'd definitely be doing them myself.
    If high crime area steel doors are good, but if you are putting windows in them, not needed.
    Hanging doors isn't that hard, I imagine there's an internet video on it.
    You could get lucky and not need the new casings put in. Wood doors are easily trimmed to fit. But with an old house hard to say...
    You can do a lot of filling, painting/restoration if the old doors can be saved and they are likely far higher quality than one you will buy today...

Does your quote include restoring the trim after the new casing are in? Include good locks and hardware or just cheap stuff? If you are going to pay through the nose make sure you get good stuff...

Nightclub Dwight and Archtops like this.
  4. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

Here are a few examples of entryway door cost at Home Depot.

5B0EE7EC-A424-45A7-AF55-E055B1719764.png 487259FB-FA9E-40DD-AAFD-BCB1B6536F6B.png ED31D73F-9685-477B-909B-1E3202AABD5A.png

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I was just looking at doors last week. That seems extraordinarily high unless I’m missing something? Is there something odd about the rough opening size or surrounding framing?

Archtops likes this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Get somebody that knows what they are doing measure the doors, frame, etc. that’ll give you a starting point.
    Take that information and start looking at doors. Metal doors can’t be cut without losing the integrity of the door
    A pre hung door will give you a bit of wiggle room is some custom work needs be done for proper fitment.
    Good luck

Archtops and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

F5856C63-158D-4448-800F-D62B902881C6.jpeg
    Our front doors. Spanish Cedar, solid wood raised panels
    We’re getting accordion shutters for storm season this year. Hopefully next week or so. Holding those shut for 3 hours in Maria is an event I’d not like to relive.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

We just bought a new pre hung front door with a storm door for a 100 year old house. The door is painted weatherproof, insulated fiberglass with a fancy unbreakable window. The storm door window is also unbreakable. It cost around 6000, almost double what a similar side door cost ten years ago. We didn’t comparison shop. We bought the door from the manufacturer’s showroom because we were satisfied with the last one. All materials charges from our contractor are more than similar materials for the last job except labor. The crew that did the walls, ceilings, and painting did an outstanding job and were actually a bargain. They’ll be back next week to paint the outside of the house. Inflation has hit everything except what the working man earns.

9. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

3 years ago I had my front double doors hung, replacing 50 year old doors. I got a bunch of estimates and they really varied. I just wanted new doors put in the existing frame, keeping the existing sidelights, and everyone wanted to put in prehung doors because it's easier. I finally found a contractor that would take the time to put basic solid six panel doors into the existing frame, and he did the entire job including the doors for $1500. That was unpainted, I painted them myself.

But even the highest bids with a prehung frame and sidelights and nicer doors with some glass were around $3,500. In Orange County Southern California.

Stay away from the big-name contractors, try to find someone that works on their own with a good reputation. The big-name companies just pay the installers a small amount, and keep the rest.

10. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Nice doors. How's the tone when you knock on these?

11. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

We try to avoid Home Depot and Lowes whenever possible for two reasons. First, we like to support local businesses, and second, the bog box stores often carry items manufactured to a lower specification in order to come in at a certain price. I don't know if this applies to doors, but it is in the back of my mind.

That then brings up the question, where would I even find doors on the retail market if not at Home Depot or Lowes?

We'd like to do this right, and we don't mind spending the money to do it right. But obviously, we don't want to waste money needlessly.

Thank you to all so far. Everyone makes good points, which I am sharing with my partner.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

Looking at this again. I'll add the comment that we had a two older homes (built in '29 and '46) and of the five exterior doors beween them, only one was a "standard size" by today's standards. Given your desire for steel doors (and I assume frames), the $10k estimate may not be too farfetched. Hence, I recant a bit.

13. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

"about ten thousand dollars." -- for 3 doors, installed ?
    That's what $1,700 per door plus $1,700 for the install (assuming 1/2 the cost is for materials and half for labor...which is a somewhat decent rule-of-thumb) each ?

Right now ...everything is super expensive, and labor rates are reflecting that as well....so it's going to cost more.

But even with that taken in to account.......that seems pretty steep. I'd be shopping around.

Builders are probably super busy right now, and are throwing out numbers that they *could* make....or they think they could be making.

ie: we had a porch put on last year... one quote was for over 25K. The reason it was so high was the builder was making all kinds of money putting up pole barns...he really didn't want my small job....he wouldn't make enough money on it. He was making more building pole barns. So he bid it high, and if I was willing to pay that much....fine...he'd do the little job (and in his mind not "lose money" on it). I shopped around and wound up getting it done for about 1/2 that.

14. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

10k is way high

find doors you like at hd/Lowe’s and start getting quotes to do the install

it should be a 1 day job

so 8hrs x labor rate + door cost

and there will be some framing lumber cost

labor rate shouldn’t be over $100 and could be much less

old homes are always some extra working framing tho

15. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Maybe contact a local High School....see if they have a building trades class / teacher ??
    Sometimes they like nice little quick summer jobs....or they might be able to recommend someone.
    Just a thought.

16. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

I would think that on a 100 year old home you would want to do something that is period correct and not some vinyl replacement door from a big-box home improvement center.
    To me, that would mean a solid wood door, albeit with windows. I was looking at one exterior solid wood door 36" wide, new frame, threshold, and door and it was well north of 4 grand. Your estimate seems appropriate given my perception of your needs.

17. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

Beautiful doors!
    That's a steal for just under $3K!

18. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I’m thinking that with a 100 year old house that the doors would unlikely be any modern standard size. So that would involve either custom made doors or modifying the door opening and framing. That would also require redoing the trim, etc. He also mentioned rotted wood which would not be surprising due to the age, added expense. Also the header may be rotted and need to be replaced.

Sure, you can go to a home improvement store and by a standard size premise door and install it for less but this would likely be far more involved due to age of the house, etc.

19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

As far as door material... I'm saying steel because that is what we have looked at. Our front door was replaced before we bought the house with a steel door and we are happy with it. The back and side doors, probably original, are both wood. Both have issues with swelling, making them hard to open, which is why we are looking at steel. However, its not set in stone. We could do fiberglass or wood.

I guess I have questions because this sort of sprung on us. Last Friday the lower hinge pulled out from the wall. I had already put longer screws into it a few years ago when I noticed it was coming loose, and those held for a few years. The door still works, the hinge just flops open when we open the door. Like most things, I imagine it will only get worse.

So we are playing catch up trying to educate ourselves. If it must be 10K, well, then we'll spend 10K. We were lucky to have saved quite a bit of money over the past year, so the project won't be a hardship. But if we can save some money and funnel some cash to other projects that would be great.

We're heading out the door to check out the big box stores and see what they have in person. I know we'll likely have to order ours, but at least this feels like we are doing some research.

Archtops likes this.
  20. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.