Need a New Door for the House

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nightclub Dwight, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

It looks like we need a new back door for the house, and while we are at it, the side door too. Our house is about a hundred years old, and they are probably the original doors. The front door had been recently replaced just before we bought the house ten years ago, so that one is fine. But the back and side doors definitely need replacement.

For the back door we want half or three quarters glass so we can look out into the back yard, and we'll get a storm door on that one too. The side door is less important since it enters to a landing halfway down the basement steps. We'll just get small windows at the top of the door there since we have no need to look out that door, but the light would be nice. Also, no need for a storm door on that side door.

We've had two quotes, both about ten thousand dollars. While it seems like a lot of money, people tell me that is the right ball park for the job. We have been saving money for home improvements, and we saved even more over the past year. So we do have savings to tap for this. We'd like to do it right the first time since it is a pretty major expense for us, but I don't want to waste money either.

We are in Pittsburgh. I don't know much about replacement doors. I'm appealing to the collective wisdom if there is any advice you guys have, known pitfalls or other things to look out for.

dented and stormsedge like this.
  2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

I'd get a couple of more quotes--that seems *really* high. I work in real estate and I deal with these kind of matters rather often.

3. Nightclub Dwight

To be clear, this will include new door frame and threshold as well.

SacDAve, dented and stormsedge like this.
  4. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Holic

We got a really nice front door from Loewes last year and wasn't nearly that expensive.give them a try. Free estimate and 10% off for Vets.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I don't think Lowes would be carrying doors with historic significance or leanings. IF the OP doesn't do it in the vogue of the home, he could be devaluing it.

6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

That sounds super high. I don't know if youre having doors custom made or something like that, but having a pair of French doors installed in my mother's back room 6 years ago cost about a grand, and that's going from an exterior wall with electrical being moved to a new frame and doors.

You can obtain the doors you describe for a few hundred, so $9k in labor seems high. If that's correct, it's more crazy than the $800 quote a plumber gave me this year for something I could have done in 4 hours with $70 in pipes.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  7. Nightclub Dwight

Good thought, but historical accuracy isn't really a concern in this case. We'd be definitely going with a modern style door, most likely made of steel.

electrichead likes this.
  8. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

Had a steel door with inner adjustable shade between the glass installed with new jamb and outside stucco molding. $1100. for both the materials, door and installation.
    New stained mahogany entrance door cost around $1000 plus $600 to get it installed. Came with a new mahogany jamb and casing.
    Both doors came with a new steel threshold.
    Total costs, $2700. In SoCal 2019
    $10,000 is a total rip off. Get more estimates.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Flip G, dented and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  9. Nightclub Dwight

I'm glad I asked here. I do appreciate everyone's input.

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

It’s a lot. We got full double glazing, 2 new exterior doors and a set of french doors cut into a wall for that.

Archtops and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  11. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

We paid about $900 for 3 exterior doors, installed. Did not include storm doors. Guy did a beautiful job, and he had to undo some jerry-rigging we'd done when we built the house.

12. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I just paid 4500 for a very nice porch.....so I say ripoff.

13. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Seems like a lot is there rot under and around door. Is there siding and framing involved?
    How much trim work involved inside. Possible rotten sill plates under doors on older house's
    Outside boxes notched on old wooden sill doors. There has to be flashing above and below door. Plan for the worst hope for the best.

14. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Custom, semi custom, or off the shelf?
    18 years ago we were quoted $6,000 for a custom made set of 6 raised panel French Doors in mahogany
    We found a semi custom identical set in Cedra Arena for $2,000. The install, with minor modifications, was just under $700.00. After my phone gets charged I’ll post a pic of them

15. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

If we are talking about solid wood, then that price is about right. Be aware that doors and windows have increased in price dramatically lately. I happen to work for a door and window company, so I know. We have another price increase coming next month.

Also, there is quite a bit of engineering that goes into making a door that won't warp, crack or swell. It's not usually just a slab of wood. Fiberglass is a lower cost alternative to wood.

16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

The quote you have feels high...I'd get some others.

I'll comment on storm doors. We've put Larson Platinum Secure Glass Doors (I think they have "Dominator" in the name now) on three houses over the years. They look like a high end glass storm door, but have a steel frame with a 3 point locking system and secure glass capable of withstanding blows from blunt/heavy objects. We keep them locked when in or out of the house, never open them when answering the door until we've established who is there and why (just talk to whoever it is through the glass). The door will keep an intruder at bay long enough to close and lock the inside door, call the police and arm up against home invasion. My dollar2ninety8.

17. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

With the recent rising costs of building materials I would expect some installations to be surprising. But that estimate seems a bit high to me. Just a small comparison I recently added a new A/C unit to a home. I went out and got 4 estimates. The highest estimate was almost 3 times as expensive as the lowest. First make sure you are getting exactly what you need and want. Best of luck with the new doors!

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Go for the $10k. It will be $25k next year.

Nightclub Dwight and teleman1 like this.
  19. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good advise, my personal preference is Home Depot but still the same idea

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  20. Nightclub Dwight

Definitely not custom. We don't have anything special in mind, and we're willing to take what is available. Definitely a steel door as opposed to wood. The only thing "custom" might be the size. It might be a bit smaller than standard, definitely not larger than standard.

stormsedge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.