1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need a humbucker guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Durtdog, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

For a new project I'm involved in, I need a guitar with buckers. Wanting a thick, syrupy, sweet sound like Allmans, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, etc. Will also be playing clean about 15% of the time, so I'd like something that can do nice cleans.

I'm looking at an LP, a couple of SGs, and a 335 (all used). I know the models and pickup versions vary, but would like some general feedback.

I like Gibsons, but would consider others. This is to be used live, and I'm not all that keen on taking really expensive guitars to gigs.

BTW, I'll be playing it through either a SF Twin Reverb or a Bluesbreaker reissue or a Pro Junior, depending on venue (and my mood).

Looking for opinions. Budget is $700-1000, less would be good, MUCH less would be great. What do you suggest?

2. acousticman1

acousticman1 Tele-Meister

Les paul studios can be very very nice. They are american made and the quality is high. The plain ones go for around $800 new and they can be easily found on CL for $550, and even less if you are determined. I love them and they sound good through most any amp I've played.

3. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

I absolutely prefer semi-hollow guitars above all others, so that would be my bet. Maybe a Sheraton?

It's too bad you can't scrape together an extra $250...you could score yourself a Heritage 535 and be set for life! That said, Heritage 150s (Les Pauls) are easily had within your price range. Worth considering....

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Given the names you mentioned - LP and a slide should do the trick equipment wise. EPI will fit your price range.

5. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

you could consider a peavey JF-1 a copy of the ES 335 and as humbuckers,I have the JACK DANIELS edition play's great sound very good and inexpensive,Ibanez also have some good model equipe humbucker and wont break the bank acount ;0)

6. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Ibanez Artcore
    Sheraton
    Epi Les Paul

7. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Don't rule out this one, before you've tried it out. Most people go to the P-90 version, but this is a guitar worth checking out. If you find a good one...

/ Tony

8. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Les Paul Studio and replace the pickups with Lollar Imperials.

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i like how my epi dot plays, but the pickups are pretty awful, and changing them out looks a little daunting given my small amount of soldering experience.

10. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

What you need is anything with a set of these in it.

Attached Files:

11. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

12. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Les Paul deluxe is the creme dela creame when it comes to humbucker sound IMO. It cost a lot but it holds its value like a treasury bond.

13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it.

Quick update: Tried a Les Paul Traditional Pro, thought that might be the one. It had some quality issues, high e string falling off the neck for one. Didn't love it like I thought I would, neck didn't suit me, just didn't feel or play right, sounded good though.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...with-50s-neck-electric-guitar/h72586000001000

Then I tried this SG and fell in love.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-SG-Standard-Electric-Guitar-100085509-i1149261.gc

I think the SG may be the one.

14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Doesn't one of those guitar processors offer a selection that lets you convert a single coil to humbucker, and vice-versa. That way you don't have to expose yourself to an actual "humbucker" and you might get some neat effects as well.

15. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

I bought one of these because I liked how it looked and had no idea what it sounded like, well I can tell you its an awesome guitar for not much money and feels perfect to play.

16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Then you'll be wanting a hollow-body. :lol:

Most useless effect ever. The only way to make a single coil guitar really sound like it has humbuckers is with a soldering iron.

Durtdog, I'm not a fan of SGs myself, but given what you're looking for I would have suggested it as a possibility. It's got the right look and style, there are a number of variations within your price range, and it is less likely to have the weight issues that can come with a LP. If there are Reverends available for you to try, that's a possibility as well, but SGs and LPs are the icons for that sound.

17. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I had to have a Gibson this year as well (or should I say an ES). I wanted a hollow body 330, and searched the country for a good deal. Ended up with a nice 335 and couldn't be happier. For me it is the ultimate guitar (along with a tele). If you have that much cash, I would consider trading or selling something else to get a little more money. If you have something you could sacrifice that is...regardless if you go with LP, or SG, or something else I would certainly look for used guitars. So many great deals out there right now, it blows my mind. Good luck! Very exciting search.

18. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

I bought a new SG Standard a couple of months ago and it's a real keeper. Looks great (I have the cherry), real nice action and fat tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.