Need a help/advice/opinion... Or Just a rant (Tonemaster Story)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by drri, Feb 23, 2020.

1. drri

drri Tele-Meister

Been bugging all my friends with this one so I figured I'd ask you guys to

TLDR: What amp should I get?

Background is I bought the Tonemaster DR late Sept..... I demoed both the the DR and Twin, really really loved the Twin but figured the DR would be better suited for me. Loved the DR and had a lot of fun with it but still went back and bought the Twin a month later. Used it in band rehearsals and the DR during late night practice....

Realized a couple of weeks ago those late night practices didn't matter as much. Running the Twin on 12w cranked was prefect for jam sessions with friends, weight is light enough that it doesn't bother me, and the thing just sounds amazing! Decided it would the gigging machine and I no longer needed/wanted the DR (again, NOTHING wrong with it at all, sounded amazing, I just preferred the Twin). Sold it pretty quickly on eBay and I'm trying to decide what to do with the money (has to be gear related)

The thing is, when I got these amps I loved them so much I sold all the tube amps I had (not saying it was a mistake but I might have jumped the gun a little). Now I'm sort of amp shopping... I've looked at getting a Dr Z of some variety, a Bassman RI, or the new Marshall Mini Plexi head. I tend to buy and sell a lot but I'm at the point where I hate losing a lot of money on resell... The Bassman I found is a good deal used but in looking at sales I would lose a good bit due to shipping/fees (flip side is, I may love it never sell). The Marshall I heard a friend playing last month and thought it was great cranked with a attenuator to cut the volume for the room (but I'm not sure I'm enough of a Marshall guy to warrant paying that much, nothing around is used so it would have to be new). The Dr Z I've always enjoyed those tones and just think it would be a fun amp to play with. Also forgot to mention I bought an attenuator myself so I prefer to keep it under 45w so I can crank it and tame it with the attenuator. Or I'm open to other amp suggestions to check out to....

The TM Twin will continue to be the amp I use for gigs (which are seldom anyway) so this would be pretty much a jam amp and used for some videos I do for a pedal company

Help me internet.... I'm lost without you!

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

This is an acute GAS episode. We all have them from time to time (so I'm not criticizing at all)

My advice is to get an amp really different from what you currently have; different in sound, topology & circuit.

The Dr. Z Jetta - from what I've heard - is amazing

drri likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

MARSHALL! :mad:

mkdaws32, drri and Tim S like this.
  4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Right now it sounds to me that the new Twin is it.
    I’d leave it that way and instead I’d be looking at a new
    Guitar. Maybe a Junior or a Les Paul Special (the new ones)
    Check out Shane’s two reviews regarding the Special on “In The Blues” on YouTube plus You’ll get to hear a Marshall DSL40 on the half power setting.

Good Luck.

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

So the Twin won't do for pedal reviews? I know this is anti-GAS but you don't have to spend your extra $$.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you don't know what YOU want to do with the money, sit on it until you do know.

A bunch of strangers, tele players though they may be, have no ability to know what you really want. Especially if you don't know yourself.

OR, get an AC30....:)

7. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

Buy a Choco Prince from Jim at Lil' Dawg, sell to me at discount when you decide it's not for you.

In all seriousness GAS does eventually subside and you realise it's OK to have a pile of money in the gear drawer. Honestly. No, I'm not kidding.

:)

Airbrake and drri like this.
  8. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

You already have a really killer amp to use for business, so you're in a position to be patient and try all sorts of things out. I agree with most of the other folks.

If you want something with a different character, you could grab a quick placeholder like a DSL, Terror, etc. and have something to play with during your search.

If you're near a GC, take advantage of their nationwide used inventory, ship to store option and generous return window. If you return it, you're only out the shipping (generally $20).

drri likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Consider not going in circles.

NBS2005, Airbrake and drri like this.
  10. drri

drri Tele-Meister

Oh yeah and it's been doing great but it would be helpful to have a different variety. Not everyone uses Fender

11. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

I already own the Deluxe, thinking of getting the twin, too. Is it loud enough - how does it break up?

drri likes this.
  12. drri

drri Tele-Meister

But man, it's the internet.... The internet knows all!! And can never be wrong!

dunehunter likes this.
  13. drri

drri Tele-Meister

Oh yeah, plenty of loud. Use the 5w setting during rehearsal, cranked on 9 2nd input for LP and 1st input for Strat.... I use it for my main OD tone on the classic rock stuff like CCR, Eagles, etc.... then use a Maxon 808/Timmy for a variant tone shaper on some other stuff..... During gigs I just turn the wattage up. Friday night was a small small club so it was 12w still cranked. Guys told me I could have went up more if I wanted..... I will probably always try this and if I can't get the breakup I want by volume/wattage, I will turn the wattage up, volume down and use the Timmy for the amp breakup tone... I love the fullness of the Twin versus the DR....

I will say this and I posted a thread about it on here a while back..... When both the Twin and DR on are on the same wattage and volume... The DR is louder.

14. AlbertoMilanese

I have tried the twin a few times in store, and i haven't found it to be awfully loud - even when compared to the DR. So i got the DR because its weight is the best Thing that's Happened to my Back in a long time, but I'm unsure If it's enough for ne. I rehearse with it at around 4-5, and above 6 it's distortion not that useful (too compressed). The Deluxe is just a tad too quiet when compared to my cherished vibrolux - but then again, it's half the weight of it as well.

15. AlbertoMilanese

Sorry for doubleposting, my connection is very bad

16. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Take two amps (home) and call us in the morning. :p

homesick345 and dunehunter like this.
  17. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

A highly personal decision, this. However, since you've got a Twin Reverb--which is presumably as clean as the original Twins--perhaps something a little grittier might be to your taste. I love my 5E3 Deluxe clone which can play both dirty and clean and all things in between. I think it would be a nice pairing for your Twin.

While I might someday purchase the "right" Marshall, I'm a believer that it's simply a clone of Fender's 5F6A so why not get the original.:confused:

drri likes this.
  18. Stax1

Stax1 Tele-Meister

I agree with the 'get something different' idea - go with the British vibe and see how it goes.
    - Marshall - JCM800 if you can find/afford, otherwise try the new Origin series
    - Vox - AC30 or AC15. Go AC10 if you want small, or AC4 if you want a very tasty toy.
    - Orange - AD30 is nice, or try the Tiny Terror amps

Buy used and in good condition, so if you decide to change for something else you're not losing bucks on buying brand new.

drri likes this.
  19. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Disclaimer - I've only ever owned 1 or 2 amps at a time.

I would either a) just play the twin or b) ask the pedal company to give you a list of potential amps they would like you to demo. They should know their demographic.

20. drri

drri Tele-Meister

That was another issue I had, it did sound great in that range but wasn't much useful to me higher up. Twin is not like that. Loudest I've had it yet was 40w on 8! My ears hurt pretty bad after that but man, that 40w seemed to open it up!! haha

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.