1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need a free DAW? Ableton Live lite available till Dec 31, 2020

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by fleezinator, Dec 14, 2020.

1. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

2. ArchangelYabbo

ArchangelYabbo TDPRI Member

Thanks for the link.
    I was looking to pick this up.

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

KirbyBarba and SRHmusic like this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

GoldieLocks, ponce and gabeNC like this.
  5. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Reaper is really good, too, and free (with a nag screen, or support them for $60 for a license). The user interface is pretty 'normal'/'standard' and customizable.
    https://www.reaper.fm/

Ableton seems particularly good for developing loops or reuse parts to re-arrange songs. It has a special session view for that type of work. (That ability affects the interface a bit.) The same can be done in other DAWs, of course, with the standard type of interface.

6. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

GarageBand is free if you have a Mac. Reason Intro is also only $99 which is almost free.

KirbyBarba likes this.
  7. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

As a longtime Ableton user and acolyte this is great. Ableton either seems clicks for people and they become a devotee or they find is as accessible as solving an alien crytogram. I also love some of their software instruments (electric!)

8. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Satisfied Reaper user here too. Don't know if and what I'm missing by not using one of those 'pro' DAWs.

nickmsmith likes this.
  9. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info. I want very much to get into this but I’m older and never grew up or went to school with computers and although I have one, a HP touchscreen? I think it’s fair nice, Along with a beat buddy and a Behringer Xenyx 1202fx, nux looper, binary amp and small multi effects both from Hotone (which are both supposed to enable me to convert analog to digital to get into the computer I fully admit I don’t know enough and I get frustrated- I tried to load one or even more of those DAWs and I could never get the Multi effect to be heard. I may have got an idea on that now but i’m so soured and reticent to even pay money to get better drums on my beat buddy I’m afraid I’ll pay for them and not be able to hear them. I just end up playing into my stereo looper, Knowing that there is so much more but not really knowing how to get at or to it. Oh yeah I also have zoom H6 I think it is and a couple of good mics and tons of pedals, Both store and DIY built. Any ideas for me?

10. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

I don't think there's *that* much of a difference between a good majority of DAWs out there, but Ableton Live's session view is probably one feature that I haven't seen elsewhere. It's basically a non-linear paradigm of working with audio clips & midi as compared to a traditional horizontal arrangement. You can trigger recorded clips live and play them on the fly, much like a performance.

This does a better job of describing how this feature is really powerful.

ponce likes this.
  11. ArchangelYabbo

ArchangelYabbo TDPRI Member

Fleezinator thank you for the link. I have been looking at Ableton and this is the perfect start.
    \m/

12. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Reaper is not free! Support the developer.

Mouth likes this.
  13. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

True this. Within about a week I was happy to pay $60. It's well supported and fairly intuitive, and quite flexible for sampling rates and formats. (I'll edit my original post.... rats, too late )

14. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I tried Ableton Live Lite. I hated it and was endlessly confused and searching (my fault - I'm not a Dance Music DJ).

After almost a year I switched to REAPER. Within a few days I was having way more fun and getting quick results. The youtube videos are easy to watch and lookup problem issues. Ableton didn't seem to have this ease of use.

I hear that they roughly all sound the same and do the same thing. (some don't take certain plugins. Reaper pretty much takes them all). I used REAPER for 11 months for free and then paid 60 bucks for it.

suthol likes this.
  15. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

I got one Ableton live lite license as a freebie when buying Akai MPK225 to fiddle with a PC and a DAW. Unfortunately I’ve been Cubase user for years, so I never installed Ableton. I really oughta give it a try. And thanks for the tip anyways!

Cubase has quite steep learning curve and I’m still all thumbs with it (okay, I taught my kids to do drum patterns and piano tracks last friday, they learned it fast -> so I’m probably an old geezer).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.