Need a Compressor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Southpaw Tele, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

I don’t think it has been mentioned in this thread, but the Keeley Compressor Pro puts some studio compressor features in a pedal. It includes a hard/soft knee switch and make up gain. Both of these really smooth out the signal without bashing you over the head.

It is based the Ross.

Mine is always on when playing my Tele.

2. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

The earlier 2 & 4 knob Keeley comps, and the new Compressor+ are based on the Ross but the Compressor Pro and it’s little brother the GC-2 Limiting Amplifier (3 knob) are not. They use a studio style compressor circuit based around the THAT Corp. 4320. The GC-2 is basically the Pro with the knee set to hard, and the attack/release controls set to to auto (and a no gain reduction meter).

Archtop Bill likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I've tried a bunch of compressors, including an OTA based kit, DOD 280 optical, Orange Squeezer clone (Henretta), Whirlwind Red Box (Dyna-comp), Xotic SP, and most recently a Barber Tone Press. I love the tone of the Orange Squeezer, but not the noise floor. The OTA Dyna types I found a little more difficult to dial in a nice in-between sustain and too much squash. The DOD was my favorite until I picked up a used SP, the blend control makes all the difference to me, which is why I sprung for the Tone Press for my main board.

I'm still playing around with the Tone Press, but so far I've found it to be a really great sounding compressor without paying a lot more for studio style compressors. Now if I could only go back in time and buy the old Gates tube comp that was in our college radio station back in 1980...I think it was sold for scrap when the contractor installed a new Ashly unit in the production studio.

4. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Somehow we are five pages in and there’s no link to http://www.ovnilab.com/ crazy comprehensive reviews of compressors (admittedly a bass focus, but still very informative)

zippofan likes this.
  5. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Post #4

;)

con brio likes this.
  6. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Well that’s what I get for trying to search the thread on my phone

blille likes this.
  7. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

IMG_3547.JPG

Southpaw Tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.