Need a Compressor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Southpaw Tele, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I second and third the motion on the BOSS CS-3.

Incredible pedal!!
    :)

[​IMG]

2. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Too late! For now...unless you want to trade for a Dyna Comp?

3. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Not a compressor professor like DaveKS...but vfe white horse is my first and last.

sanfi4u likes this.
  4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting. I've always pretty much assumed that folks left the TONE control at noon on compressors that had them. I've never figured the compressor was the place to deal with tone.

What do you find yourself doing with it? Boosting highs, or cutting them?

Scott

5. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

The obvious (or basic) use for a tone control on a comp is to account for the perceived darkening/dulling that attenuating the attack transients results in. If the comp is slow to trigger (acts more like a sustainer) you might not notice it.

6. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

What's the rest of the chain look like?

7. Chmason85

Chmason85 TDPRI Member

I have a Way Huge Saffron Squeeze and I love it! Granted, it's my first compressor but it's worked well with four different amps and three guitars, all single coils, though; Dynasonics, P90s and Tele. It goes from transparent to full squish very well, and has gain and tone knobs, so you can dial in some grit

8. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, as the other guy said, it’s to compensate for how compression impacts the tone more than it’s a tone shaper like a tone control on an overdrive might be. They’re usually much more subtle and only impact the “attack” frequencies in the upper midrange/lower treble.

At different compression settings you’ll need to add more or less treble to make the feel of your tone stay transparent. But for most of these the range of the tone control is only something like +/- 4dB both directions.

E5RSY likes this.
  9. E5RSY

It seems that most optical comps don't have a TONE control. Is that an accurate statement?

10. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Diamond and Bearfoot pale green –the two optical comps that jump to mind for me – both have tone controls. I’m sure there are others that don’t though

sanfi4u likes this.
  11. BridgesBurning

BridgesBurning TDPRI Member

For cheap biyang compress x is awesome

12. Southpaw Tele

Jazzmaster on middle position -> Volume Pedal -> EHX Crayon -> Rat -> Dyna Comp -> BBE Tremor -> TC Triple Delay -> TC Hall of Fame 2 -> Blues Jr. III. Should I move the Dyna Comp to after the Vol pedal?

13. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

I agree with this take on it.....My other pedals have changed some since this pic but the compressor is the same and always in the same place and always on...reverb and delay in to send/return on the amp and all others through the front input on the amp.......I've had the DOD for many years and have no reason to change..... My Pedalboard 2015.jpg just my opinion...

Believe it or not, some thought should be given as to where the compressor goes in your signal chain. A good rule of thumb is to place any gain-type effects before modulation effects: i.e., compressors and overdrives before delays or flangers. Another one that's practically set in concrete is to put the compressor before any overdrive, distortion, or fuzz pedal. This is why most guitarists place the compressor first, in order to send a stronger, better signal to the other effects.

There are some guitarists who place the compressor last, though, to boost their signal just before it hits the preamp of their amplifier. The drawback to this approach is that any hum or hiss introduced by other effects will be increased by the compressor's output gain. Sometimes you can remedy this by placing a noise gate before the compressor, however, the noise reduction can have an effect on the tone quality. A best-of-both-worlds approach might be to put your compressor first and use a signal booster just before your amplifier. Some guitarists also like the sound of putting their wah or envelope filter before the compressor to give it a wider frequency range to affect. Experimentation is always encouraged, but putting the compressor first is recommended.

14. E5RSY

I agree. I put my phasers ahead of compression, too.

15. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

<$100? Used Way Huge Saffron Squeeze. I like that one a lot.

True dat. I prefer the compressor after any filters. Makes them a lot smoother.

16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

always on , no doubt..great pedal..i

17. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Whether the compressor goes before or after drives is up to individual taste. It might be worth a try.

The reason I asked about the rest of your signal chain was to see how many buffered vs. true bypass pedals you are working with. The addition of the dynacomp may have been one pedal too many without a buffer. The "thinness" you are hearing could be diminished "presence". Do you find the problem remains when you bypass everything?

My train of thought is that when you are not using your compressor, one of your drive pedals might be almost always on (I'm guessing the Crayon) and acting as a buffer. Then you go to your compressor for a "clean" sound and turn off your drive pedals. Unless you volume pedal is buffered (most aren't), then you might be experiencing enough high end loss from your guitar cable and three pedals before you get to the Dyna Comp that you lose alot of presence, which may translate to your ear as "thin", and then the DynaComp itself is cutting even more high end, as most compressors do. I'd recommend putting a Boss TU-2 or something else with a buffer before or after your volume pedal and seeing if that has any effect. Unless, of course, your volume pedal is buffered, in which case none of what I just said matters.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  18. Southpaw Tele

Okay, I put the Dyna Comp right after my passive Behringer volume pedal into Rat -> Tremor -> Triple Delay -> HOF 2 (set to buffered mode) and it sounds a lot better clean and with the Rat engaged for low gain into the BJ III. Thanks for the tips, 6BQ5!

19. Southpaw Tele

PS I took the Crayon off the board. Honestly, the Rat does everything.

20. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Did you notice @DaveKS post right above yours? VFE White Horse is a great optical compressor capable of adding nice grit to the sound. I love my White Horse. It's a safe choice. WH is out of production so you'll have to find a used one. It shouldn't be a big problem. Obviously I didn't try Tiger yet. But VFE makes high quality pedals. So I'm sure it's as good as White Horse and just a bit less versatile. Tiger proto for $99 is a steal.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.