Need a Compressor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Southpaw Tele, Jan 15, 2018.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

The DynaComp should serve you well.
    I have an old 80s Series 2000 DynaComp that has been a part of my sound for so long I could not imagine not having it on my board.
    I don't know the difference between it and the little orange/red DynaComps tonewise, but i doubt there's a huge difference. Great compressor.
    You just have to watch it and keep the compression low. Mine is at about 9 o'clock. Anything over that and it squishes the signal really fast and hard. If you are looking for that, for chicken pickin Country or something like some of the Mowtown or Funk stuff, it will do it really well.
    i think you'll be happy with it.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  2. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I also had very good results with the Compressor side of a Visual Sound Route 66. Clean, just right amount of squish and transparent. Love it

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  3. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Tele-Meister

Lefty, can you tell me more about your settings on this pedal and where it is in your chain? I have the same pedal and have yet to be convinced by it sadly.

lefty73 likes this.
  4. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Mooer yelllow comp.

NICQ likes this.
  5. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

More cowbell.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

This is exactly the combo I use.
    Got the CS-3 used at GC for $60, and the NS-2 from a friend for $40.
    Ive had them both for about 4 years now and don't plan on changing anything anytime soon.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I hope I'm not butting in here Dan The Man, Lefty.
    I think sometimes TC does themselves a disservice with how extreme the default sounds can be out of the box. Especially the their delays. They tend to be over the top. Their oil-can echo for example sounds just like one if you get into the toneprint editor and dial things WAAAAY back. They did an amazing job on this series of pedals. They can be as simple as you like for live use or as tweak-able as you want with the TPE. Even artist designed toneprints are generally good templates or starting points to get you close to what you are going for.
    If you are interested in one of the multi band spectra compressor sounds I would look at using Johnny A's Arizona Sunrise or John Petrucci's Transcomp. These both made great starting points for me, in fact, the only thing I did to Johnny A's toneprint was to dial the cut-off frequency for my lower strings. This was probably because I use 10's-52's. People tend to wring their hands over or completely dismiss the toneprint editing function altogether because they want simplicity on the gig. Well, they are. in fact more so than most pedals because it does exactly what you told it to do with the knobs. All the knobs at noon is the toneprint as written, now just tweak for the gig, simple.
    These toneprints are subtle yet very affective. Good luck!

IMG_2818.JPG

8. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

I use a pigtronix Philospher’s Tone. Where it excels is when I have to play my super reverb on 2.5, it can, when paired with a light overdrive, give it the tone of being played at 7, but the volume of 2.5.

If I’m able to turn my amp way up, I will turn it off, but otherwise it stays in most of the time unless I want the most shimmery, almost brittle tone possible.

To me, this type of sound is typical of optical compressors.

blille likes this.
  9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Yep, that's how I use my White Horse optical, like PT it has a preamp/dirt circuit in it base around a mosfet that you blend with optical circuit, then that you blend with dry through. It gives you that bigger amp cranked up feel and sustain without hitting high vol.

Saw on his Reverb page he has a new prototype based on white horse, trimmed down so you lose the response knob and mosfet drive section is now a clean/semi dirty/dirty selector switch. But you know I very seldom touch the response knob anyway, mostly full clockwise for tighter attack not hard squish. The mosfet preamp section adds the power tube like softness and sag, optical brings in the sustain. Still has the high pass filter on bottom end so you can keep it tight and keep the tubby comp thunk away.

$99, prototype. Ad states the clean/drive switch is labeled backwards.
    [​IMG]

sanfi4u likes this.
  10. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Does anyone know a compressor that gives a little grid to the sound. A little egde?

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer (and clones) has some grit to it.

12. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Friedman Sir Compre and the full sized Philosopher’s tone (the micro doesn’t)

13. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tips guys.

14. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I agree. I really like and use the tone control.

valvestate likes this.
  15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

If you're looking for a Dynacomp I have an original block lettering one from about 1980 with the box I'll give you a great deal on.

I like the Maxon CP-101.

blille likes this.
  16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

And this makes me think your dyna comp is wrong choice. You dont want squish and comp flavor, you want it as a transparent dynamics processor. Optical probably.

E5RSY likes this.
  17. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

It's generally first in my chain, though lately I've been playing around with the order. There's a bit of a volume boost when I kick in my BF-2, and sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Putting the BF-2 before the Hyper helps rein in the volume spike.

Guitar>Hyper>flanger>OD>distortion (usually)

Guitar>flanger>Hyper>OD>distortion (sometimes)

My settings are Sustain 11 o'clock, Level noon, Attack 2 o'clock, Blend 11 o'clock. Spectra mode (i.e., mini toggle switch up).

18. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got the DOD 280 on a blowout sale for $40 and have been playing around with it. I like it for clean tones with both knobs around 1 o'clock. I've also been putting it after my Muff and OD. Putting it on after the OD gives the effect of dropping the dirt setting from say, 2 o'clock to 11 o'clock but after the Muff it gives it that sweet wooly Desert rock buzz

19. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I agree that the OP is probably looking for an opto. Hence, my post about the DOD 280 earlier. You can lead a horse to water...;)

20. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

OP here. Was sick this week and finally feeling better. Plugged in the Dyna Comp and messed with the settings quite a bit, but it just seemed to make my sound thin. Not even sure that's the right word for it. Any suggestions on output and sensitivity settings?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.