Need a Compressor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Southpaw Tele, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Didn't turn on the Gerbil (Rat) #RichardGere #HashtagsDontWorkonTDPRI

2. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

THANKS for the clarification! Perfectly reasonable. I try to preserve the highs (and the pretty click of the pick) with a 50/50 wet/dry blend and the internal high cut filter switch off. (I do admit that the internal dips are a bit of an annoyance. The price of compactness.)

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Tootle likes this.
  3. Clash Telecaster

Clash Telecaster Tele-Meister

This is true.

I was monkeying around with my BOSS CS-3 yesterday and it sure does compress. Squish. A Telecaster played through a CS-3 is the perfect example if one wants to demonstrate what a compressor does.

The CS-3 does accentuate the single coil hum (it is hissy) but if you use an NS-2 Noise Suppressor pedal that stuff vanishes.

[​IMG][​IMG]

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  4. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

A CS-3 was my first comp but unmodded it is IMHO unacceptably noisy. Super squishy too, but I still use one for funk, so it has its place IMHO again.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  5. Darrell D

Darrell D TDPRI Member

Ditto what he said. The Xotic Compressor is always on for me!

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Asking for compressor suggestion is second only to OD. If you like the squishy Dyna Comp thing, the TC has that mode on it and it does really well. Beyond that it does the cleanest transparent, multiband, paralell compression! All the good stuff with none of the bad. They go for $80 used. Super clean chimy goodness.

lefty73 likes this.
  7. luckett

luckett Banned

That font looks kind of like the Keeley font, but the controls are a bit different and the Keeley isn't orange. The Keeley is based on a Ross/Dyna Comp.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  8. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Usually around $100, but someone on Reverb is selling new ones at $50. I love mine with Tele, Strat, and bass.

9. Southpaw Tele

I think I'm going to go with a Dyna Comp. I'll report back

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I use a Kelley 4 knob, not as an effect pedal, but as a clean boost and to even out the volume between strings. I get all the 'compression' I need from my Mesa Boogie. My suggestion would be to decide what you need from a compressor and then shop with the help of a good salesperson or tech. In the end, your best decision will be to spend what you need to spend to get what you need. Too little spent on something that doesn't do the job is money down the drain. A lot of money spent on something you get bored with is a lot of money down the drain. Do it once and do it right.

11. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

This may be the best advice I've ever read on this forum. Priceless.

12. Southpaw Tele

I really liked how the software compressor evened out volumes among strings and highs and lows in my strumming. There was also a clarity to my playing. Hard to describe.

13. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I use a CS-3 and a dyna comp behind it. Use the CS-3 for light compression that I leave on all the time and dyna for the squash that I bring in occasionally as needed. The dyna is nice even though it only has two controls--level & compression. The tone pretty much follows what ever your amp is set on but I would say it colors slightly with a little fatness that I don't seem to mind:>) because when I kick it in, I'm usually playing on the bridge PU on a strat, so a little mellowing is nice.

One of the hard things with a compressor I always had problems with was getting the volume right so when you kick it in it's not overbearing or then to low. So the way I do it is pretty much set the level to match the guitar volume wide open to amp without anything else on by A/B'ing it. Once I got a match, I boost the dyna level slightly because I've found a perfect match ends up being a little too low for a lead ride once you kick it in and the ducking starts. Of course what I'm describing is running guitar into a clean amp set at moderate volume. Setting the level that way sounds too loud when your playing by yourself but when your playing with a band it fits right in the pocket. Platefire

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    jddub440 likes this.
  14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Yeah I had the original DOD, loved it in the bedroom, couldn’t tell much at a crappy gig (my gigs, usually not miked, small rooms, crappy is a bit harsh, I always have a good time), so it was passed over for a boost. The videos here sound great, good luck with your squash quest!

15. Southpaw Tele

Dynacomp is en route. Got one on Reverb used for $40. Will report when it shows up. Thanks all!

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

good luck with it!

compressors are odd beasts. Depends on how you play, what kind of band you're in, how you're going to use it... all kinds of factors.

Personally I dont like the Ross style... the attack is too hard, theres this pop or plink sound at the front end of every note. the squish is great but I dont like that sound. Whats crazy is that I know a few guys who love the Ross and when I played their guitar-pedal-amp, I mentioned the "pre-note-pop" and they swear they couldnt hear it.

so its different for every player. I went the other route... old DOD Milkbox, fabulous compressor.

Not telling you what to do here. Decide for yourself.

17. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I want the Philosopher's Tone mini,but the Biyang Baby Boom Compress X
    is really good to get started with.

18. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Do you have the one with the funny dairy terminology labels, or the other one?

Is there a real difference between the two, or is it just the graphics?

19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I have the old one with the funny dairy labels. I have never heard the other one.

Its so good, that when the footswitch finally wore out, I went looking for a replacement... tried the Wampler, which was not my thing. Eventually found a guy to repair the Milkbox footswitch.

jddub440 likes this.
  20. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I bought a Milkbox on Rod's recommendation. It's great, the only compressor I've ever liked.

jddub440 and Wrong-Note Rod like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.