Need a Compressor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Southpaw Tele, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I used my iPad with Tone Stack and tried a compressor "pedal" and loved how it sounded! My clean tone was articulate and I really cut through the mix.

So, I need recommendations for a sub $100 compressor pedal for use with my Blues Jr.! Help!

2. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

The Donner is dirt cheap.

3. Southpaw Tele

How does it compare with a Dynacomp?

4. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

You mainly want to pick Ross / dynacomp or optical and then figure out within there (there are others but I think that’s a start).

For Ross flavor you can get an Xotic SP used under $100 and for optical the Mooer Yellow.

And check Ovnilab, the best resource for compressors: http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/toppicks.shtml

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    hongaku and SPUDCASTER like this.
  5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Xotic SP Compressor. Provides great tone and dead-simple to operate. It's my only "always-on" pedal, and that's coming from a compressor sceptic, before I got the SP that is.

bftfender, stnmtthw, zippofan and 4 others like this.
  6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wampler Ego is a great compressor with a clean blend function and can possibly be found used for $100
    Before I got the Wampler I was using a Biyang Baby Boom Compress X which are very cheap new and even cheaper used.
    IME it was a very good compressor, as good or better than the vintage MXR and Ross compressors that I've owned in the past.

brown2bob likes this.
  7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know, I'm certain it's an OTA compressor like the Dynacomp, Ross, Wampler, Xotic, and countless others. I suggested it because it's cheap and it seems to get some love.

I'm personally not a big fan of OTA compressors. I use a vintage 80's Boss CS-2 which uses a VCA. I think you might be able to find a used one in bad cosmetic shape for under $100.

OlRedNeckHippy and Southpaw Tele like this.
  8. Southpaw Tele

Ok, thanks for the help!

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think that you can buy a new Dyna Comp for $69; just do that. It's one of the easiest to use and best sounding compressors ever.

I have many compressors (I love compression) and a Dyna Comp that I've owned since 1988 is on my main board despite a Keely that has been next to my board for a year (I really need to change those two out).

The Xotic SP is also fantastic and dead quiet at any level of comp but a new one is about $135. I have an Xotic on a smaller board......outstanding.

S-arm, dr_tom and Southpaw Tele like this.
  10. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Add my voice to the SP endorsements. Always on, set a touch above unity and 50/50 wet/dry. It really enriches my tweed Blues Jr's sound.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  11. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Huge fan of the TC Electronic HyperGravity. The "Spectra" setting is magic on a Telecaster. The Blend control is amazing.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My thought and you might not like it, but to me, if not used as an effect, the compressor pedal should be the most expensive pedal on your board. The quality and control of compression of your sound is much better, the more you invest in a compressor pedal. Unfortunately, they can get very pricey, so you have to draw the line somewhere, but maybe a used Keeley 4 knob would be worth your hard earned dollars.

a_pidgeon, Doug 54 and Southpaw Tele like this.
  13. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Pay the extra $20-30 and get a Diamond Comp (usually $120-130 used)...easily the best tone enhancing compressor...one of my always on pedals

14. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I am addicted to the Barber Compact Tone Press. It's spoiled me for everything else. More transparent than the SP. It's been on for 4 satisfied years. I've tried knocking off with the SP/CS3/LM2/DeepSix/Keeley/analogman Comprosser.

I wanted to love the SP so much but it was too round even at subtle settings where the effect became negligible.

sanfi4u, Pixies2005, E5RSY and 3 others like this.
  15. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Define "too round" for me, if you can. I'm not trolling, just genuinely curious. I'll readily admit that my SP is the first compressor I've used for any real length of time (so my hearty endorsement should be taken with a grain of salt, as should any advice mined from the interwebs). Maybe "more round" is just what a Blues Jr needs. Or my musical palate.

I ask with some trepidation, though, 'cause all I need is for you too make me think I need to explore further. ;)

16. luckett

luckett Banned

Different types of compressors behave differently and some have characteristics unique to the design they use. Figure out which comp the model you liked was based on and get that type.

codamedia and lefty73 like this.
  17. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Couldn't agree more. If you're looking just for certifiable squish, then an off-the-shelf Boss CS-3 or MXR DynaComp should do the trick.

If you're looking for more subtle "evenness" and punch, then compressors with a Blend function (TC HyperGravity :)) come to the fore.

If you're looking for more studio-like chime and shimmer, with even less obvious squash, then you get into Diamond territory.

Whatever floats your boat. Some guys I know have two in their chain. One up front to handle the chickin' pickin' duties, and another towards the rear, before any modulations, delays or reverbs, to help refine their overall sound.

18. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Not a problem. Maybe I should have said "rolls off a little more high end than I'd like". It does something with the nice pretty click of the pick hitting the strings (I like the blend knob for avoiding this and preserving my guitars attack,) that makes it smoother. Maybe that's what some people are after.

I am one that believes that the more highs you preserve, the less you have to compensate at the amp which never sounds as good.

The tone press just did what the SP did to my sustain without killing my attack dynamics as much. The SP went and the Tone Press stayed.

I absolutely love what it does to my clean and overdrive tones. Makes my JC120 feel a lot like a twin being pushed into a little tube compression. So that's cool.

highgreenchilly, dr_tom and PBO Blues like this.
  19. Southpaw Tele

Here's what I tried on the Tonestack app (which is awesome, but I prefer a pedal board into my Blues Jr. 1516045937329.jpg 1516045945421.jpg

20. Southpaw Tele

And PS, those were the settings I used. I was running clean all service into an AC30 sim on the Top Boost channel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.