1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need a “noiseless” equivalent to Fender Baja Custom Shop Broadcaster

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by xhqm4457, Jan 13, 2015.

1. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

You might also want to check out Lindy Fralin's humless single coil pups. His shop is actually just a mile or so from my house and we've become friends. He's a great guy, and you'd do well to call him and just ask him for some recommendations. I was there recently and we showed me a new humbucker pup that he's calling a Sunbucker that has a fantastic single-coil-type sound, just silent and huge! (Obviously won't work for your bridge, but it shows that he is always innovating.)

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

2. jwayne

jwayne Tele-Holic

Kinman all the way

For me personally I use the kinman tele pickup sets. I've gone through a bunch of pickups and Chris's two sets he offers for the tele kick butt. They are expensive but for me personally every tele I play / build has the kinman's in it.

I guess a hum debugger might help phase out the 60 cycle hum. That may be something to try.

3. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

chris m. - you are a plethora of info and you are very much appreciated! It's frustrating because I don't do my own pickup swapping so getting it right really helps the pocket book and the frustration with being without my guitar for a week or two. Maybe I should get off my duff and learn how to do it and I could experiment a little more. These Kinmen's really look like they might be the ticket. Especially the "Broadcaster". The DC resistance looks off (like it's a much weaker PU than what I have now) but I know these are built quite different than a regular single coils and based on the description, this could be the noiseless match I'm looking for! I also like the vintage look better than the Bardens (although not a deal breaker for the Barden).

4. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

jwayne - What Kinmens do you have? Do you have the Broadcaster, and if so - what are your impressions of the pickup clean ans dirty? Thx!

PS: The Hum Debugger s interesting.

5. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

Thanks D_Schief! You see - this is why this forum is so great! I'll get on Lindy's site ans check it out. The guy is a class act for sure.

6. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Put the Area Hot T back in (that was my go-to for attaining the CS Broadcaster sound with noise cancelling too btw) and the 375k pot - then do the bridged resistor trickery to get the neck pickup to 'see' the load you want - 250k I assume.
    (You'd need about 800k resistance load bridged along with the neck pickup hot to ground for the neck pickup to see about 250k with the 375k pot).

... yes, I've done a lot of this stuff now =]
    This is how I got the Area T neck pickup to sound a LOT like a Twisted Tele - without the noise.

7. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

Thanks Steve_U1S. This may be a good option for me. I've done some of that before with some other pickups. One time it worked great, and another it made no difference. Pickups are funny things. Seems like nothing is a sure bet. I do like this idea though. Thanks!

8. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd recommend the Kinman Broadcaster set, or keeping what you have and getting an Ilitch pickguard system http://www.ilitchelectronics.com/pgncs-t/ . Either will give you pretty much exactly what you want. Neither is cheap.

9. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Noiseless?! Why wouldn't you want 'yer pickups to make any noise?!

10. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

+1 for Kinman Broadcaster,
    I once tried one at NAMM 2002,
    If I ever needed a Noiseless Tele Bridge
    the Kinman Broadcaster is the one id grab.

11. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If your luck's been spotty with this, then you probably need to isolate the solution by doing what I did; use a super-switch and use one pole to bring the resistance load in and out as necessary.

12. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

This from one of the most respected names in pickup manufacturing. Praise indeed.

13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Shield first, then see...

For some unexplained reason, there is absolutely NO shielding in any of the Baja pickup/control cavities -- no wonder its noisy!! Even Classic Vibes have shielding paint in them!! I recently got a Baja and that's the first thing I'm doing to mine. If you use copper tape rather than paint you can really lower the resistance and its easily removable down the line if for some reason you decide to sell and the buyer wants a 'stock' one. I'd certainly do this before playing around with different pickups.

14. mc_waller

mc_waller TDPRI Member

I recommend the Kinman pickups. I ran through nearly every Noiseless Pickup Company, and Kinman are the only I found it actually sounded like a good single-coil. Leave your fingers from the N3 (Fender), they will disappoint everyone who are searching for a singlecoil sound. The Dimarzio Area Ts are nice, but actually don't sound like a Singlecoil. I have the 60s from Kinman, VERY TWANGY and dry, the Broadcaster has a little more punch and bass. Look around and ask them what the would suggest. Best User Service I've expirienced.

15. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

Thanks all!! - Taking everything into consideration (time, $$, hassle, etc,), I decided to go back to the Dimarzio Area "Hot" T, and install no-load tone pot to have the option of getting a tad more high end if needed. Works great with my Duncan SSL-5 in my Strat. I had good luck with the Hot T before and thought I'd try it again. I'll report back in a couple weeks once I gig with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.