Need 6v6 amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by manbearpig, Nov 18, 2021.

1. manbearpig

manbearpig Tele-Meister

Hi y’all,

I’m thinking about treating myself to a new amp for my 40th birthday. I have some features/specs in mind but having a hard time sorting through options. I want a lower wattage 6v6 amp—either single or dual 6v6 but not a quad. Prefer cathode bias and simple circuit, few knobs. Trem and/or reverb would be a nice bonus but not necessary. Combo or head would work. Not looking to go second hand or vintage. Something like a Victoria 20122 or Fender 57 Deluxe RI fits the bill but was hoping to come up with something a little cheaper. Maybe a Swart, like the STR Trem? Any other suggestions?

Edit: maybe should have mentioned I like an edge of break up tone and good touch sensitivity and guitar volume knob cleanup. Also, I gave a couple of tweed-ish examples but not necessarily looking for a deluxe sound.

stormsedge likes this.
  2. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

Li'l Dawg 5E3, baby!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Back at it, Vibroluxer and mad dog like this.
  3. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Holic

Suhr hombre (6g3)

mojotone blackout British (Marshall 1974 with tmb channel and 6v6s)

douellette and papa32203 like this.
  4. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

I agree, I love the edge of breakup tones from Tweeds. The Fender '57 Deluxe reissue and the '57 Champ reissue are a bit different from each other but both have awesome clean sound and breakup. Another really nice option is the 5F11 Tweed Vibrolux clone (Mojotone). The clean and breakup sounds are great and the vibrato/tremelo is to die for. I got my Tweed Fenders new from MF with their standard 15% discount and they can probly be found even cheaper used. Oh yes, almost forgot, all of them are touch sensitive.

Fndr3Tweeds.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  5. manbearpig

manbearpig Tele-Meister

Is the Hombre cathode biased or fixed bias? Also wondering if you can say anything about the cleaner tones? I think everything I’ve seen has been the cranked, super saturated tones.

6. manbearpig

manbearpig Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info. What is the standard 15% at musicians friend? Haven’t shopped there for a long time but would be very interested if I could get the 57 Deluxe 15% off!

7. Lindsay Wells

Lindsay Wells NEW MEMBER!

8. Lindsay Wells

Lindsay Wells NEW MEMBER!

Hi man I've been a pro for 53 years here in Australia, I love my tele through my 1970 Deluxe Reverb but I've also heard modern ones sounding great you just have to play them in once you find one that [pleases you,

cheers Lindsay

9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Fixed adjustable bias, and the cleans are very nice. Middier than blackface, not as snappy as a 5E3 IMHO but stouter due to the bias. The dirt is Marshally but the cleans are still Fender.

If the Swart is in your budget it's worth a playthrough!

10. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I picked up one of these last week.
    Supro Delta King 12.
    So far I am liking it a lot.
    Class A,1 6L6, reverb, boost,drive switch ( it is a bit fizzy)

delta_king.jpg
    delta_king_top.jpg

11. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Holic

It’s a 6g3 clone, it’s fixed (adjustable) bias. For more clips of cleaner tones, just look up any brown deluxe clips on YouTube.

brownface deluxe clean tones are sort of in between tweed tones and blackface tones. They’re extremely underrated and very sweet- a thicker, more middy blackface sound.

6g3 is a very underrated circuit. Great mix of fender cleans and Marshall dirt. I’d have one, but I went with the Marshall 1974x.

12. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Just call or email/text your salesperson or go to the site during business hours and "live chat," and ask for 15% off on that amp. It was definitely on when I got my Fender '57 Deluxe, '57 Champ, '68 Custom Vibro Champ Reverb, '68 Custom Pro Reverb, and Marshall Mini Silver Jubilee. And I bought those between Jan. and Sept. of 2021, so I'd be surprised if the 15% off deal wasn't still in place. They will be glad to sell it to you as the salesperson probly gets a commission or brownie points or something out of it even at 15% off.

Tim S likes this.
  13. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Excelsior... I just got one

14. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Another vote for Lil Dawg

15. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have two with 6V6...a Supro BK10 (now the Delta Kind 10, I believe) and an VHT Ultra 6 head. Both have a master volume/attenuator arrangement useful for home players.

The Supro hits your wickets, imo. It has reverb, boost and an OD.

The VHT Ultra 6 bears a look if you like to tinker, having many pages of upgrades and mods on the internet, as well as being capable of using other size power tubes (ran mine with a 6L6 for a while). It does not have reverb, so you would need to acquire a pedal...but it does have the "ultra" section and a boost.

Happy Hunting.

The Angle likes this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

17. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

My suggestions are(both cathode bias)"

Valvetrain Saratoga
    Savage Macht 12x

The Saratoga is criminally underrated and so under the radar that you'll probably never see or be able to play one. That's Valvetrain's fault; promo and advertising apparently isn't their strong suit. But the amp is awesome. Think, a tighter, louder 5E3 type with a more Marshally preamp. It has more gain, more headroom, and doesn't fart out like a 5E3 can(ive owned 2). 3 knobs(gain, tone, volume), n9 fx, no loop, no frills.

JamesAM likes this.
  18. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Dr.Z Z-28 has been my main gigging amp for over a decade. Pick up a used one for under a grand.

Crobbins likes this.
  19. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Traynor Dark Horse:

2W/15W.
    Cathode bias.
    2x6V6.
    3 tone stack voicing: Blackface Deluxe/ Tweed Deluxe/Beano era Marshall.
    Gain knob.
    Built like a little tank.

upload_2021-11-19_12-48-8.jpeg

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Early Reverberockets had 6v6s, cathode bias, reverb and trem. Only trouble is they stopped making those about 1963. Well not stopped just went away from 6v6s and tried to make them cleaner sounding.
    If you're thinking 6v6 amps tubes are the way to go go because they breakup at a lower volume than 6L6 amps, well yeah they do, but they still get loud. Probably the loudest 6v6 amp is a Deluxe Reverb. I could never seem to get mine in it's "happy zone" and really didn't like the damned thing much.
    Even a single 6v6 amp like a Champ with the original speaker gets pretty loud. Not loud enough to gig with unassisted but too loud for an apartment. If you want breakup.
    Really you've gotta just go play some amps in the volume range you're going to use them at. Keep in mind some little amps sound like crap at real low volume and some big ones, like a Twin Reverb, actually sound better. Either way you'll need a pedal for dirt playing at real low volumes.

powerwagonjohn likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.