NED - New Epiphone Day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JKPickin, Mar 16, 2020.

1. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

This little beauty arrived on Friday although, as you'll read in the comments I left on Amazon, I haven't been able to play it much due to a couple of snapped strings, for the time I was able to play I was quite impressed.

I had to down size my guitars and gear due to selling a home and living on the road for a year. I only kept my Fender Baja and Seagull Entourage CW. Now that I'm back in a home, I was missing a 335 style guitar so pulled the trigger on a Dot.

Amazon comments:
    The fit and finish of this guitar is very good. The cherry red has a deep lustre that draws the wood grain out to the light. As the title says it plays wonderfully when it plays. Intonation is good, beautiful dark tone with a growl synonymous with semi-hollowbody guitars. Out of the box all I needed to do was tune it...except the high E was broken. Replaced the string and played for an hour or so soaking up those bluesy tones and POP! There goes the B string. So I’ll be replacing the strings with some Ernie Ball Cobalts and grind this axe to a fine sharp edge. The pots are smooth and linear, the switch is rock solid and the input jack accepts your cable of choice with a satisfying clunk. If you’re looking for a high dollar quality 335 style guitar for a low dollar price then this could very well be the guitar for you...just make sure you order a couple of sets of your favorite strings with it.

Attached Files:

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

JKPickin likes this.
  3. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Nice!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

JKPickin likes this.
  4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Very cool. If you keep popping strings like that, might need to do a little work on the nut. Might just need some nut sauce, might need to file out the nut slots a bit to keep them from binding.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Cool guitar!

JKPickin likes this.
  6. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Real nice, me likey!

JKPickin likes this.
  7. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Thanks Chud, both strings broke at the bridge so when I change the strings I'll give the saddles an inspection :)

stepvan likes this.
  8. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Very Nice!

JKPickin likes this.
  9. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

The Epi Dots are good quality guitars for the price. I've owned and played the canine fecal matter out of a MIJ, assembled USA Sheraton for the last 13-14 years. My lead player bought a Dot Pro on a whim and then later sold it. Had I not had the Sheraton, I would have been sorely tempted. While my Sheraton, IMHO, is superior in about all aspects, it would be difficult to make a living off of the difference. The Dot's playability, after an initial setup was quite good. The Wilkinson tuners, however, were the guitar's weak spot- it would play in tune, but not stay in tune. An upgrade to a set of Grovers and some attention to the nut made a SERIOUS change in that situation. My Sheraton sells for 6-10X the price used over the Dot, which makes the Dot a real bargain.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    JKPickin likes this.
  10. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice. Congrats!

JKPickin likes this.
  11. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Congrats! Been thinking semi-hollow myself. Maybe an artcore?

JKPickin likes this.
  12. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Ah, there you go. Lol.

JKPickin likes this.
  13. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

I really liked the Sheraton II Pro but it was out of my budget. Plus the simplicity of the Dot won me over as well. Dots do come with Grovers now, they are much smoother than the tuners on my Baja.

Yes those Artcores are well received, I don’t think I’ve seen a bad review on them.

Thanks for the all of likes and congrats guys!

14. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have a Sheraton II, an ES-335 Pro and a Dot Studio. All are fantastic guitars and play very well. You should really enjoy your Dot.

JKPickin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.