1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Necks

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bluetelecaster, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Although I've owned a couple teles over the years I never really got into them until just recently. Like I had mentioned I spent most of my life in the bg banjo world. I've noticed a few times when necks were mentioned that tele players seem to favor the thicker necks. Just curious to that., Because banjo players seem to favor a slimmer neck. Not always but most of the time. I realize now adays it takes somewhat more hand and arm strength in the left hand chording on guitar. Would that have something to do with it?

FrontPU likes this.
  2. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I think we all have individual preferences. For example, I've been carving more of a thinnish soft Vee on my Thinline builds. But on my archtops, the first is more U-shaped and the second is thinner, similar to my Japanese Epiphone Sheraton. I play the 2nd archtop and my most recent Thinline Tele more than any others.
    So, for me, different shapes/thickness on different guitars. I do prefer a slightly wider neck though. Seems to suit my short fingers.

3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

slim necks might help you play a little faster... chunkier necks seem more comfortable for playing longer. but ultimately it comes down to finding what fits your playing style and your hands. personally, i like the larger U-profile

swany likes this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

The most comfortable neck I've ever played on was a mid '60's Gibson L5 that belonged to a friend. It felt like that neck was made for my hands. But it wasn't my guitar, though I still dream about it.

I have guitars with necks that are all over the map. Most of them I can play with no trouble. The one I cant will get a new neck. For some reason my fingers adapt easily to different necks, but some just feel better then others. I should measure the ones I like most and get one made to those specs for the guitar I'm replacing the neck on.

5. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

I’ve come to like thicker necks, my hand cramps less. With thin necks my hand can collapse to the back of the neck when fretting or bending a certain way, causing cramping. A full thick neck prevents this from happening.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like tele necks around 87 to 96 medium c but am not bound by that. Some of my Gibson style guitars have fat necks and they are fine too.
    I find that you get used to playing just about anything if you spend enough time on it.

7. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Anything anyone here tells you about how thick necks are better because they're more comfortable, or that slim necks are faster, or whatever, is BS, because they're just talking about themselves, not you. If you have a Fender style guitar that sounds great, but the neck isn't quite to your liking, you can order any neck you want. Companies like Warmoth, USA Custom Guitars, Musikraft all make necks to order. Both of my Teles have custom ordered Musikraft necks, and that suits me just fine. When I ordered them, I didn't consult with anyone regarding what they liked, because I only care what I like. The neck is less about sound and more about what feels good. Order what you like.

MilwMark likes this.
  8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

It depends on what you're playing. If you're shredding, think ibanez wizard and a flat radius - that's a very fast feeling neck for that, but if you're playing chet atkins type stuff and you have your thumb around the back, you're going to get a cramp.

I think the favorability for rounder necks on a tele comes from what people play on them most of the time. I used to like flat necks, but the more I play rounder necks, the more i like them. I'm also getting older (so are all of us) and we come to the tele after we're past shredding.

I like a les paul with a round '59 neck, too.

The nice thing about the tele platform is it lets you get several guitars that are essentially the same but with different proportions there.

As a budding builder (but can I say? I can build anything telecaster and never feared building a bad guitar because the platform is genius), you can get a foreign guitar with the right neck finish and good fret work, and the right radius and just think the world of it. You can get a beautiful american made guitar with a neck profile you don't like and sticky glossy finish and really not like it at all, even though your eyes love it. If a guitar is stable and fitted well, it's those proportion items that really make the difference.

And it illustrates just how much other guitars rely on proportion. I like the LP faded from 2005 (I purchased it used) better than the LP standard that I used to have. It cost me a quarter as much, both used. They both weigh the same, but the LP faded has the neck profile I like and the finish on the neck is smooth (it's not a built up gloss finish) feeling and never sticks in the web of my hand.

9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

(If you're going to shred on an HH tele, you'll probably like a flatter more modern profile).

It's not just the size of the profile, either, but the shape. Rounder, thumb goes around. Smaller round vs. fatter full round probably has more to do with hand size. AT 5'9" with not so large hands, I like rounded, but not the biggest rounded profile. My friend who is 6'5" and has hands large even for his height likes to play chet type stuff, and the fattest profile is the only one he likes.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like medium, not too thin or not too thick. Too thin I feel the fretboard edge too much, too thick and my hand cramps a bit. Soft V is very nice for me.
    I can get used to a thinner neck pretty fast though as long IF the fretboard edges are rolled... as they should be anyway.

I've come to the conclusion that the important part is the "shoulder" on the neck profile... for my hands. Too much and I cramp, to little and too much flare and I feel the edge.. and that's why a soft V is nice in my hands. I hated a Jimmy Vaughan V neck. I love a EC Strat soft V. Here's the best way I can explain the difference:

[​IMG]

theprofessor likes this.
  11. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

My best advise is to try out different guitars so you can find out what you like. I could tell you what I like, but it would be pretty meaningless :).

The neck is the intimate connection to the guitar and it's a little bit different for every individual. For me, the neck makes all the difference in world when it comes to enjoying playing a guitar.

If you don't have friends who own a variety of guitars, go to a music store and try out different guitars with different necks. If you go during the afternoon on a weekday, they probably won't be too crowded and you'll have time to get your hands on the necks and see what feels good to you.

Good Luck to ya!:)

Best Regards,
    Geo.

12. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I have always stuck to thinner 60's style necks. However, I recently picked up a Line 6 Variax JT-59 & it has a thicker 50's style neck. To my surprise, I really like it. I guess it just depends on how the whole guitar comes together.

I think my favourite neck was a 78 Gibson LP Firebrand. Wish I still had that one.

13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's just personal preference, there is no best or universal shape. For me it's the shape much moreso than the thickness. If it's your basic rounded shape I'm fine - V and flat bottom necks I can't play on.

14. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

For open chords, I like a 1.66"-1.69"width at the nut (1.71"-1.73" at the first fret) and a C shape about 0.85 thick. But barre chords and open notes, I like a C/D shape. I like the neck to get thicker as you move up the fretboard, so maybe 0.92" at the 12th fret.

I tried to order this from USA Custom Guitars and it was 0.89" at the first fret and 1.01" at the 12th. Too thick. Amazed at how much difference 0.05" can make.

I Just ordered a replacement from Musikraft (0.83"-0.92" C shape with 1.68" nut width)... should arrive within a couple of weeks. We'll see.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

After playing for fifty+ years, I found my ideal neck is roughly that of a 1959 Les Paul. I custom ordered a Warmoth neck for my Tele that is a 24 3/4" scale, (like a Gibson) fatback thickness (1" up the full neck) and 1 11/16" width at nut. I'm so attached to this neck size, it's all I'll play anymore.

16. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

It’s all preference of the personal sort. I LOVE V necks but few others seem to and very few brands even offer V necks which is why I build and shape my own.

I’m 6’3” with xxxl hands/gloves and I get a smaller volume while still filling my palm with a V shape. My favorite T necks are the old Blackguard shapes by Tadio Gomez that are somewhat asymmetric. Our hands are not symmetrical so, to me, it makes sense to have the neck shaped to play.

17. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I'm sure that at some level having more vs. less wood in a neck has some effect on tone or sustain or something, although that difference may not be clearly audible, but for the most part I think neck dimensions and profile are entirely matters of personal taste, and one is not better or worse than another. I've heard that neck dimensions can result in hand fatigue or cramping for upright bass players, but I've never heard or experienced that in connection with a guitar (or electric bass).

In recent years, I've come to figure out what kind of neck I find really comfortable (relatively thin C), and while I've had necks of all sorts of dimensions and profiles, I don't think I'd make a point of buying another guitar with a significantly different neck shape. My first Tele was a vintage-style ESP with a hard V, which I played for years, but I have never come across another guitar with that kind of profile. (I haven't made it a mission, but decades of casual playing stuff in music stores has never brought me in contact with another hard V neck like that.) I've got a G&L ASAT Special with a softer V, but while it's fine, it's not my favorite. I really, really do not like D profile necks. Of my Fender Teles I have now, my favorite is a AVRI 52 which has a fairly slim neck---I've read about some of those having baseball bats, but that's not mine. I have a MIM Cabronita which has a noticeably thicker neck, which I'm not fond of. I quite like my '72 RI Deluxe, which has the Strat headstock and three-bolt tilt adjust body joint. (Still, technically a Telecaster.) That one has what I'd call the "modern C" profile.

18. 8livesleft

8livesleft TDPRI Member

I started out on Ibanez with those ultra thin necks and still have a 7 string with a thin C.

Nowadays tho, I like the feel of a thicker neck. I also have this Strandberg with a really thick neck (7 string) and my Tele has a deep V profile, which I love. I feel I have more leverage on thicker necks.

Recently, I tried out a Les Paul with a very thin neck and it just felt odd. Hehe

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

19. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Maybe because many of tele fans believe in or worship blackguards whose neck profile tends to be much bulkier than today's standard size/shape. And thicker/harder necks give you more sustain, to add.
    But you know, still many, including those great players like Jimmy Page, Muddy Waters, Robben Ford, Jim Campilongo, consider their teles (or necks) from 1959-60 like(d) best, though it's the Fender's vintage era that produced the thinest neck.
    The neck of a guitar is important but still merely one of many component elements to build a guitar. Balance would be more important.

20. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Agreed. And i think thats why so many people love V necks. The shoulder inhibits playability and a V removes that while still retaining depth in the middle which keeps it from being too thin. The D neck is the worse because it adds a lot of shoulder and not a lot of depth. Thats obviously not true for everyone but I think due to the fact there are very few D necks among fenders at least, (MIJ's seem to have a lot of them tho) it's likely they aren't very popular for this reason.
    One thing thats true at least for e tho, and it can confuse you till you figure it out, is that often there are shapes that are comfortable feeling but inhibit playability. And the opposite can be true...necks that dont feel as comfortable yet you can play the hell out of them. But like i said, thats what I found but i dunno if it translates to others or not. I'm not into very thick necks tho They are comfortable feeling but inhibit certain aspects of playing for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.