Necks

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wired to go, Nov 18, 2011.

1. wired to go

wired to go Tele-Meister

I'm building my first partscaster (Tele). Enyone ever use a Guitar Fetish neck? How about a Guitar Parts Zone? I currently have a bid on a Squire Classic Vibe 50's neck on e-bay. are they any good?

2. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I've used 4 or 5 guitarfetish necks. They take a little work, but they can be worked into pretty nice necks for low $$. Mighty Mite are a little better. The MM have a thinner profile, the GFS necks are pretty chunky. You can get the paddle head from GFS and make whatever head stock shape you want.

3. wired to go

wired to go Tele-Meister

What kind of work are you talking about? Frets? Finish? Nut?

4. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Depends which type you get. You can get finished or unfinished, IIRC. The one I bought I leveled, crowned and polished the frets(I do this with any neck, regardless of manufacturer, so I have no idea if it actually truly needed it. I prefer to do it before I assemble an instrument. That way I know it's not going to be a problem), cut my own headstock, and did the finish(unfinished paddle head).
    The only real negatives I can say is that it's a really, fat, thick neck. The GFS site used to say that this was so you could shape it to your preference, but I don't know if that's still up there anymore. I didn't shape mine, and it's pretty fat. I liked that for a while, but I think next spring I'm gonna strip it and thin it up some. Also, the nut width is a little narrow as well. Mine measures 1 and 5/8".
    I also don't like the looks of the metal the frets are made of. I've had mine at least a year, and they show no signs of wear, but the metal, even after polishing, looks to me kind of dull and "dirty"(or cheap, for lack of a better word).Metal is something I know, as I was an Airframe Repair Technician in the USAF. I can't really put my finger on the reason, but the fret metal still screams CHEAP! to me. MHO.
    The nut should be removed and thrown in the trash. But IMHO that's nothing negative. Most replacement necks don't even include a nut, so you'd need to fit one anyway.
    All in all, not a bad deal at all for the price. Fit the no name strat body I put it on(as did the Squier Affinity neck I had on it before that.)
    But if I were you, I'd see if I could get that CV neck for under $100. I think that's a far better deal. MHO.

5. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

I've purchased three GFS necks. Two were fine, one was twisted. In terms of quality control it's a classic illustration of the "You Get What You Pay For" rule. GFS customer service seems to be pretty good, so if you get a bad one, you can send it back.

I think Mighty Mite and All Parts necks are more consistent, but you pay twice as much. I use Musikraft necks, but these necks are four to five times the cost of a GFS neck. Here's my bottom line recommendation: If you're just starting out as a builder, GFS or Eden necks are okay. With more experience, move on to a Mighty Mite or All Parts neck. When you're ready to build your dream guitar, spend the money and get a Musikraft, Warmoth or USACG neck. The more expensive necks have more options in terms of wood, profile, shape, fretboard radius, etc. Remember, YGWYPF.

6. wired to go

wired to go Tele-Meister

Got outbid on the Classic Vibe. Bid on a Warmoth and am waiting for more money to clear on Paypal. Hope to win that, But, Probably be outbid again. If I am I'll probably buy a Mighty Mite. Thanks for the feedback. By the way I like fat necks, have had an early Melody Maker for over 30 years, Necks don't get much fatter then that.

7. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

I've only purchased one of the blemished GFS necks and it's just fine. You'll have to do some fret dressing...that's all.

8. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I've bought 2 GFS necks so far:

I got one of these but back when they still drilled them for tuning key holes. One of the tuning key holes on it was off which was a common problem and probably why they stopped drilling them. They were also aligned at a different angle than on a Fender headstock.

[​IMG]

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Ultimat...le-Headstock-Rosewood-Fingerboard_p_1055.html

The heel is also a bit wider than the common Fender/T-Downs/Warmoth/etc neck pocket. Maybe 1/16 or so.

Fret ends were rough cut, burned, and just deadly shrapnel. So I had to bevel them and clean them up, as well as level and polish them. The fretwork here was BAD. Chunky profile, nicely figured wood. Garbage black plastic nut, nut slot needed to be filed level at bottom.

Then I got this neck (when they still had them with a paddle headstock, which must have sold out already):

[​IMG]

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Tele-Un...ice-Maple-Vintage-Truss-Rod-BLEM-_p_4243.html

Better fretwork than the other neck but still needs level and polish. Plain maple, no figure at all. Tuning key alignment angle different than Fender headstock but the spacing between holes seems to be right. Mystery wood black skunk stripe (ebony?). Garbage plastic nut, nut slot will need leveling at bottom.

The point here is if you get a GFS neck you'll have to put a bit of work into it. GFS products are a lower price because they cut corners. The special "Blem" necks like the latter one in this post seem to be better quality than their normal necks (the "blem" is just where they dowelled the hole for the truss rod nut) but they still need a little going over. I would think a Warmoth/Allparts/Musikraft/USACG neck would be closer to "plug and play".

9. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

I would bet that the blem necks are the Xaviere rejects.

10. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

You're probably right. That or they bought them from some other manufacturer. They are much nicer in both fit and finish, but the wood is just boringly plain. Played the guitar I mounted it to last night while I was setting it up. I think it'll be a really nice playing neck once the frets are leveled and polished and I get a proper bone nut on it.

11. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

I bought a GFS unfinished paddlehead neck maybe two and a half years ago and its been great. True- the profile is on the chunky side but that's the way I like 'em. The frets were pretty damn good. I cut a bone nut in lieu of the crap plastic one installed.

No fabulous grain or anything but a solid, utilitarian neck that has played well. The thing that I would worry about with them is consistency from one batch to the next. Who knows where they all come from.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.