Necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Cashews121, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Cashews121

Cashews121 TDPRI Member

I have been playing a standard Mexican Tele for the last 3-4 yrs..which I got for $250 in almost mint condition.. After set up,its a very good player for sure,,but... The neck,,I could never get comfortable with it,too thin..also the guitar weighs about 8lbs.. So basically..I need help choosing something else..something not 8lbs,and something with a thicker neck. Please suggestions !

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

"about 8 pounds" - so you're saying it's just less than 8 pounds? That's pretty average for a telecaster as far as weight goes.

For the neck, try out some different models, even if they are outside of your price range, so you know what other things feel like.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

What's your budget? You can get +/- $350 for your current guitar; on my local Craigslist people are asking $400 now for used MIM Standards. Good score for the price you paid.

Guitar bodies vary a lot in weight, even within the same models. You need to either find a place that has them to try out or find someone online who's going to tell you the weight before you buy. 8 lbs would be an issue for me too.

If you can afford it, the '50s Baja Tele has a big'ol thick baseball bat neck. Another thought is the Vintera Thinline Tele; I think the weight would be nice but I'm not sure what shape the neck is. Your MIM Standard has a Modern C shape - it's my favorite, but yes, it is thin.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My best guitars are about 8.5 lb.

Frito-Man and corliss1 like this.
  5. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

find a 7lb Baja classic player.

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1 Classic Player 50s Baja. Fender's best production tele to date.

Dismalhead and TeleTown like this.
  7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Current-production Teles that I really like are:
    • 50's Baja
    • 50's Road Worn
    • 50's Vintera
    They all have bigger necks, and you could pick up a Baja or Road Worn used. You might try them out and see what you think.

Fiesta Red and gwjensen like this.
  8. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The Vintera 50s Tele has a big ole U neck... or the Vintera modified 50s with a chunky soft V (a Baja by a different name)... or the American Original for twice the price.... those are your only new choices for big necks outside the custom shop, but Lots of used Bajas out there....

edit- the road worn has a bigger neck than a modern C but not by much based on the one I played a couple weeks ago

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My (former) #1 is an 8 pounder.....and it got heavy on gigs. I built a similar one as a backup, and it's now my new #1. Lightweight GFS Paulownia body, Warmoth Fatback, wide conversion neck, Bootstrap Pretzel pickups, Wilkinson bridge and tuners. Total weight a tad over 5lbs. Sounds like just what you need. I never added up exact cost, but it was less than $400 or so. And....it sounds terrific.

10. Cashews121

Cashews121 TDPRI Member

Any idea what these Baja Teles weigh?

11. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Have you considered getting just a new neck?

archetype likes this.
  12. Cashews121

Cashews121 TDPRI Member

yeah but i dont think just that will change the weight much,if at all.

13. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ahhh...Yes...thicker neck, but less weight. I would look for a Squier Vintage Modifed 72 Thinline Telecaster. There are a few around new, else you can find them out there used. Else you have the Fender counterpart. I liked the neck on the Squier Better. The Fender has more of a V shape as opposed to the Squier.

14. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I think the fender Thinline has a thicker u-shaped neck. Definitely lighter considering it’s semi hollow. The classic 50s has a chunky c. Slightly bigger than the standard but vintage frets and radius.
    You could always roll your own from parts. Warmoth lists body weight on their site.
    Lots of different fender necks on stratosphereparts.com and Reverb.

15. Cashews121

Cashews121 TDPRI Member

but aren’t the Squiers generally the less expensive line from Fender.?

16. Cashews121

Cashews121 TDPRI Member

I just remembered something..I played a reissue tele probably 4 yrs back or so..1952 sounds familiar..Anyway,that guitar was really nice,was considerably lighter than my Mexican,thicker neck etc..I seem to remember the shop having it tagged around $1,800.. Also I do recall him saying that the guitar was wired somewhat different than standard. Does this sound familiar?

17. Big_Ger

Big_Ger TDPRI Member

I think your MIM will have medium jumbo frets, some of the guitars with fatter necks have vintage frets which you may not like... try before you buy. That said, I like both and don’t notice the difference after 10 minutes or so...

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Could change the balance of the guitar. These Baja all maple necks can run in the 550 grams range. The existing neck is probably under 500 grams. Doesn't sound like much, but it starts adding up.

Anyway, yeah, Bajas and their replacement Vinteras, when built with Ash bodies, can vary a good bit. Ash is strange wood - it can vary so much more than something like alder. If you took 100 bodies, 50 in ash and 50 in alder, the alder bodies would all be clumped together and yield an 8 pound guitar (like you already have). Some of the ash bodies would likewise yield an 8 pounder, but some ash bodies will be QUITE heavy while others could be delightfully light in weight. They're all over the place. So, you have to buy in person or ask many questions, at least.

19. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes they are less expensive. A great guitar is a great guitar. The labels don't bother me. I bet some of the guys who work at the Fender Plant in CA, at the end of their shift cross the border, and work a few hours at the Mexican plant It's all good!

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've driven most of that stretch, a number of times. I rather doubt you could manage such a thing, unless for braggin' purposes one time. Traffic in and around SD, and up past Lake Elsinor towards San Bernardino, is kinda miserable I would say.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.