Neckcaster with a 24.75" scale.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by KelvinS1965, Jun 19, 2014.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

After seeing a picture on another thread I've got GAS for a Tele with only a neck humbucker, but also a shorter scale neck. It's to have no control plate (only need tone and volume pots of course) so I'm thinking a bit like a Cabronita with the cavity on the back and just the pots showing on the front.

I've found a UK supplier that can supply a body which would be their Cabronita model, but with the bridge pup route deleted and the neck pup route made bigger for a standard humbucker.

The only issue is that I can't seem to find a UK supplier of a 'conversion' 24.75" scale neck (like the ones Warmouth do). I have small hands and prefer the shorter scale neck of my Epiphone LP compared to my 25.5" Squier Tele and Strat guitars.

I've been debating getting a forth guitar as a 50th birthday treat next year which would need to be different from my Epi LP, Squier Tele and JV Strat. I was initially looking at a Gibson SG type (for the shorter scale) with P90s for a variation in sound to the others. However I love the look of this Tele and I'm sure the combination of the humbucker and shorter scale should give a variation on the Tele sound I have already.

The whole idea has spiralled from reading this thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/491917-telecaster-only-neck-pickup.html

Mine would be all white, possibly a white pick guard too and a '57 classic Gibson humbucker 4 wire pup (I need to check on string spacing in case I've overlooked something there). Possibly a push/pull switch for coil tap on the volume and a TBX control for the tone, using standard chrome Telecaster knobs. Probably a maple neck with a skunk stripe, though perhaps I should consider a rosewood finger board to further distance it from my (modified) Squier Tele and JV Strat.

Just need to sort out the neck situation and I think it would be a great project and a little different to what I could buy in the shops (surely half the point of a home assembled guitar).

2. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

It's an idea I suppose, but a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, I might be lucky though so it's an option.

I might have to bite the bullet and import a Warmoth neck, though another option is the Luthier who is currently restoring my JV Strat. Thing is that I don't want to get him to build the whole thing, so it might be a bit awkward asking him to just build a neck.

However, before I get too carried away I need to have a play of a Tele with a neck humbucker first to be sure it's the sound I want. This could be an expensive project, so I want to be sure. I've been a bit swept away by the looks of that Neckcaster from the other thread, though I do tend to use the neck pup mostly on my Affinity Tele (with Fender OV pups) and also the series setting I just added, which seems more like a humbucker tone).

4. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I know that some luthiers in my area also supply guitar building books, plans, wood, body and neck blanks, etc. You could ask him if he's interested in making a neck.

5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i've got a "neck pickup only" tele... called "reverse esquires", "necksquires" or "neckcasters" around these parts. what a PAIN! almost all telecaster parts are slightly modified for the bridge pickup. the classic tele bridge has a hole in it for the bridge pickup, most pickguards are notched for the bridge plate, and almost all bodies are routed for the bridge. to a lot of people... that bridge pickup is what makes a tele a tele.

so once you get past the difficulty of tracking down all the parts to make a reverse esquire... you're going to make it MORE difficult by making it short scale too?

i like this build already :twisted:
    take lots of pictures!

was the inspiration the tele from this post?
    [​IMG]

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Yes, that's me...think of something, then make it even more difficult. :D

The short scale thing was just because I've realised that I like that feature of my Epiphone LP compared to when I play my Tele.

I was thinking that I'd use the hard tail Strat type bridge, since there won't be a hole to cover for the bridge pup as I can get the body made without the routing there.

Ideally I'd prefer the bridge without the hole as per the picture below, but that owner had a contacts to get the bridge made specially. Unless I try to make a bridge plate myself from some flat steel, then have it chromed.

The pick guard would either have to be cut from a blank piece of material or just have to have the cut out at the bridge end (I'd have a standard type Tele pick guard rather than the Cabronita type). The cut out for the control plate would look a bit rubbish though as I won't have a control plate if the knobs just come through the body like the Cabronita.

I'll definitely take plenty of photos once it all gets started.

Attached Files:

7. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

a lot of reverse esquires use the halfie tele bridge. basically, a classic 3-saddle bridge cut in half so there's no bridge pickup part.
    [​IMG]
    you keep all the feel of a tele bridge that way. its that or find a strat hardtail bridge.

pickguards, depending on what style you go for, can be had through warmoth or terrapinisland. there's an upcharge for "custom work" like leaving routs off... but its worth it to make your reverse esquire look more professional.

8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Of course, if you don't find a pickguard that you like, you can always cut your own.

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

That halfie bridge looks a good option. I reckon I'll probably just cut my own pick guard though.

I saw a picture of a white Tele with a mint pick guard on another thread. I thought it looked just what I wanted, then I realised it was a black and white photo. :oops: So I'm going to look for a very light grey material to cut one from (if such a thing exists).

...I'm making it harder again aren't I. :rolleyes:

10. Trout

Trout Tele-Holic

I have one of these that I've had for sale off and on over the past few months. Too bad it's such a long swim over to your town. It's got a great neck on it. In the end, it would probably be cheaper to buy a complete VM Squier and harvest the neck than to buy a Warmoth neck.

Attached Files:

11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I think I'd feel bad buying a guitar just for the neck...I'd end up wanting to put another neck on it, even if it's a standard 25.5" one. :oops:

Since I was going to spend a fair bit treating myself to an early 50th birthday present guitar then I suppose paying out for a Warmoth 24.75" scale neck and the import charges isn't that bad if there are no UK options.

Re the pick guard; I've had an idea to use a clear plastic one and spray the back of it silver/light metallic grey for the effect I'm after. Again, if it cost a bit more to have one made without the bridge pick up and control panel cut outs, then probably worth it. Though I don't think cutting my own would be that hard given my Engineering back ground.

I'm really getting quite excited about this project. I was planning on going to a local shop to try out a RAT/Muff/etc pedal and they have a massive range of guitars to use when trying out gear. I'll just have to try the pedals with a humbucker equiped Tele to make sure it's going to sound as good as I hope. I'll still have my Squier Tele if I want a more traditional Tele sound anyway.

12. wadeaminute

wadeaminute TDPRI Member

It isn't impossible to buy the Vintage modified necks. I have found three of them on eBay. Plus one that I got when I bought the whole guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.