Neck wood/ Fretboard interface

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Slowtwitch, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

I've now built 2 necks and just finishing the 3rd.
    On both the first 2 I found that over a period of a few months, the seamless transition between the neck wood and fretboard there's a very slight ridge which formed you can feel. In other words there's been differential expansion/ contraction of the 2 types of wood.

The neck was finished to 2000 grit, neck is oiled

I sanded it flat again on my first neck, so all smooth and seamless again, but I not sure if this will happen over time again and more importantly, how do I prevent this from happening?

Also, is this a common occurrence?

IMG_20190609_170543.jpeg

Treadplatedual likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, woods move at their own rate. I like to use quartersawn fretboards because there is less shrinking and swelling across the grain. It may have something to do with the relative humidity in your area too and possibly your glue joint. Ideally small guitar manufacturers keep their humidity around 50% if they can.

Slowtwitch and Treadplatedual like this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Maybe the lumber you used did not have enough time to settle in after gluing and before sanding?

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

woods will always shrink and expand at differing relates, even they were both the same species.. It's just one of the joys of wood working..

rk

eallen, Slowtwitch and Vibrolux59 like this.
  5. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

I leave the neck clamped for 48 hours when gluing the fretboard on, just to be safe.

We do have about 70-80% humidity, but then again it doesn't vary that much i.e. the wood didn't go from very dry to very humid conditions.

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The ridge may also be "glue creep" which is not uncommon with PVA glues.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

consider,. we are now in that time of year when the frets ends make their presence known....

it's not the frets that are expanding... it's the wood shrinking... since both the Fingerboard AND the neck, whatever wood it may be made of will both shrink... the differential may be darn near unnoticeable... but that does not mean "unnoticeable" is the norm.. Wood is wood.. it's as unpredictable as your 15 year old daughter,.... there are good days, then there are those others...:rolleyes:

rk

Slowtwitch likes this.
  8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

And to further clarify, most seasonal movement is across the grain, so with the grain on the neck for both fingerboard and neck structure being lengthwise, any seasonal "shrinkage" is in neck width. The metal frets, on the other hand, don't really change perceptibly.

Slowtwitch likes this.
  9. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

well it sounds like this is normal and expected

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Well you are in Africa....not sure whether you have heat on or not...:). Your choice of woods could have a bearing on this too. Some woods have a higher degree of dimensional stability. You can probably find that out in some type of Engineer's handbook. For example ebony would be less stable than say mahogany. This instability rears its head on necks that aren't built in climate controlled conditions. I learned my lesson on an ebony fretboard on maple neck built here but ended up in California.

Slowtwitch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.