Neck Transplant - Improve Fretboard Finish?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Pat D, May 9, 2021.

1. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

Transplanted this neck with a Laurel(?) fretboard onto my modded butterscotch Affinity tele. Killer!

The original neck is too narrow at the nut. The Laurel is very comfy. Intonates much better. Seems like a better neck all around.

Anyway, bending stings across the Laurel isn't so smooth. Any suggestions for polishing or coating it to make it smooth?

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Probably just some fretboard oil will work. Something like Music Nomad F-ONE, or pure 100% mineral oil. If using the latter, make sure it's 100% pure, and doesn't contain additives.

3. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I've used like lemon oil for furniture on my Rosewood Bullet Strat and it did well. I can take a pic of the exact type I got if you want.

4. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies.

I've used lemon oil (really mostly mineral oil I believe). The fretboard is actually smoothing out just from use at the notes I tend to bend a lot.

--

5. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Meister

Dr. Duck's Ax Wax is what I've been using for decades, and chances are you won't find it at GC.

One bottle should last you almost forever.

Avoid lemon oil - it supposedly dries out the wood and does nasty things over time.

Only oil the fretboard every other time you change strings.

I keep a polishing cloth semi-saturated with this stuff around to run up and down the strings lightly before putting the guitar in the case. Removes the "human grease" and salt and acid from fingers, lubricates strings, and makes 'em last longer.

6. pypa

pypa Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sorry for a basic question: How does the fretboard material affect intonation?

7. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

I didn't mean to imply that it did. I was only comparing my experience with the original Affinity neck with the Bullet neck.

The bullet neck seems equal or better in quality, plus I like the appearance better, and it has the whole point of the transplant, which is the wider nut.

The raw maple fretboard was definitely smoother when bending the strings. That's the only downside I've found, but it's very subtle and over time will it looks like the laurel board will get smoother over time.

pypa and Boreas like this.
  8. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

Thanks, I will look for it.

Actual lemon oil would be very bad. Yes.

I should have specified that I used the stuff they sell as furniture treatment which tends to be mostly mineral oil with some yellow food coloring and a trace of actual lemon oil.

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My guess Is that it is the frets, not the wood that you are feeling. Squier frets will always feel better after a good smooth/polish. If you don't believe me, just smooth/polish a couple really well and compare them to the other frets when bending. Any Squier I have purchased has scratchy frets. They don't really smooth the frets before polishing them, so the buyer ends up with shiny, rough frets.

10. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

Yes, I polished the frets on the maple neck in the picture above. Very smooth.

I do need to polish the frets on the laurel board, but the scratchy feel is also coming from the strings sliding over the grain in the laurel. The grain is large and runs parallel with the strings.

I a lot less worried about it now than a few days ago, since I've noticed it smoothing out on the notes that I tend to bend a lot.

11. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Meister

Pat D likes this.
  12. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

One thing's for sure, I don't think I've ever seen a dark fret board on a BSB. It's always good to have something unique. I can't say I like or dislike it. I'm not really a fan of BSB. But I own one. LOL. Well, I might like a genuine BSB better. The Affinities are kind of like Cheetoscotchcheetoh. Maybe? LOL.

Attached Files:

Pat D likes this.
  13. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

It is on the unique side. Seems like I've seen it before, but haven't gone looking for other examples.

And yea, this color always reminds me of butterscotch Dilly Bars at Dairy Queen!

14. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

15. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.