Neck too wide.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SamIV, Sep 20, 2020.

1. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I was planning on sanding the neck to fit the pocket. The neck pocket fits a standard Fender neck. The neck I have is a Peavey and is a tad wider. Looks around 1/32 over. And I was only going to sand where it fits the pocket and not all the way to the fretboard area. Seems this would be easier than reshaping or sanding the neck pocket. Or would anyone here suggest the neck pocket instead?

It would be easier for me just to get a neck that fits a Fender neck pocket, but this is what I have. It fits a Peavey Wolfgang I believe. The non-Floyd model. Feels quite nice. B00B34E9-EBF5-4ECF-8608-E4E39B76C80B.jpeg 4C341ACC-643B-4BC7-9575-372211B0BC4F.jpeg EB660B42-129D-4FD0-945A-7046A2BC363C.jpeg

tintag27 and crazydave911 like this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Does the string spacing work with whatever bridge you plan to use? How about the poles on the pups? Does the rest of the geometry work?

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Once you mod one of those it will not fit what's supposed to fit, so which one cost's less to replace if need be? That's the one you mod.

DrASATele likes this.
  4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I have my Peavey Predator (the one with a piece of bark blocking the Trem) and that has a beautiful neck too.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I would mod whichever has the least value. That said, if the pocket had to also go deeper, it would have to be the pocket.

Mr_Q, Zepfan, DrASATele and 1 other person like this.
  6. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Neck is the least expensive. Going that route.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

String spacing is the same as my Strat style guitars and using a bridge specified for a Fender Strat. Can’t say I thought to check that though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Freeman Keller

If the fretboard is wider at the body joint and upper frets the strings will be farther from the edges of the board. Will that bother your playing?

Also, according to one source, the Wolfgang is 15 inch radius. Thats pretty flat for an electric, are you happy with that? I assume your strat style bridge can be adjusted for that radius. Also, is the tenon the same depth as the strat - ie once the neck is in the pocket is the scale dead on?

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

The radius seems to be 12”. Definitely not 15. And don’t know about the tenon length. Guess this will be a trial and error thing. Hopefully not too long as I can’t take away much length due to the truss rod adjustment at the heel. And if the width of the neck at the heel of the neck bothers me, guess I will have to sand that as well and take care of the fret ends also. Part of the learning process I guess.

This is a body that a friend gave me that passed away recently. He was a luthier who built very high end Strat and Tele style guitars. I could not afford his guitars and this was a way of him helping me out. It had some damage from a fall that I repaired. Neck is not worth much to me but the body is. Thanks for the advice.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

It sounds like this is a body that you will never get rid of. If you sanded the pocket, you will have a hard time finding a replacement neck if needed down the road. Definitely modify the neck to fit the body.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Mistahbrock

Mistahbrock TDPRI Member

I would advice you to get another neck that fits that particular body

The combo on the pictures will never be great as you'll have to either sand the sides of the neck or route the pocket in the body, and that would never be center aligned as the neck is wider than the pocket.

Another option would be another body, you can easily carbon copy that one you have on the pictures and then make a suitable pocket.

Good luck with the project :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  12. Freeman Keller

If the guitar was built to the Fender standard neck pocket then the pocket should be 3 inches deep to the curve of the end, 2.2000/2.1875 wide at the back and the sides taper at 0.84 degrees. The body joint is at the 16th fret and the back of the pocket has a 5 inch radius. Since it sounds like you will never use the neck on another Wolfgang then I would modify it to fit that pocket, making sure that the other parameters (overstand, heel and pocket angle, radius) give you exactly the geometry that you want. If the fretboard is too wide at the body it would be fairly easy to taper it to the 2.2000 dimension, just sand a bit of a wedge off each side. You can do that on a belt sander with the frets in place (doesn't look to be a bound board).

Before proceeding I would also suggest getting the bridge you plan to use and doing some very careful measurement to make sure its going to work. Its a lovely body and sounds like its pretty special, don't modify it.

13. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the information and advice. I will take some measurements today when I get home of the pocket. Thanks so much for all the help.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

All measurement of the neck pocket were spot on with what Freeman Keller gave. Did not check the taper degree angle though ,but it does have a taper to it. If you notice the back of the pocket is flatter like a Tele and not rounded similar to a Strat. The back of this neck tenon is similar to a Tele as well. I will let all know all who are interested on my progress with the neck. Plan on refinishing the face of the headstock as well. Not in a hurry though. Have the bridge ordered. Thanks again for all the help and wealth of knowledge here. Hope this thread is some help of someone else out there as well that likes to tinker.

And for those who are interested, I am going with mini humbuckers in the middle and neck routes. Will also have to add at least another pot hole. Have not decided what to use in the bridge position yet. A standard humbucker fits though. Do they make a P90 sized Filtertron pickup?

tubegeek and crazydave911 like this.
  15. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

GFS has them available in three types in full or mini humbucker size ;). Also have available sound files :)

Dave

SamIV likes this.
  16. Freeman Keller

Remember that a curved end strat neck will work in a tele pocket, a straight end tele neck does not work in a strat pocket (without modification). Since it looks like your bridge mounting holes are all drilled now double check back from that point to confirm the scale length.

I would also double check the side view of your neck (ie angle and overstand) with the bridge you plan to use. You can always shim or change the angle if needed, but it is nice to know before you get too deeply into it.

Edit to add - it looks like you are drilled for some sort of strat tremolo. If you go to the StewMac fret calculator and enter your scale and number of frets it will tell you where the trem mounting posts should be relative to the nut (or in your case, where the nut should be relative to the bridge. You can then measure back from the nut to the 16th fret and the end of the neck to make sure there won't be any issues. Usually I use the fret calculator to position the bridge after I've set the neck but you will be doing it bass-ackwards,

crazydave911 and gregulator450 like this.
  17. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Seymour Duncan makes a Humbucker sized Filtertron pickup now called the Psyclone.

SamIV and crazydave911 like this.
  18. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Before the builder passed away we spoke about the bridge I was going to use and he said the Tele necks from Warmoth, or Allparts would work with it. I am crossing my fingers the Peavey neck will be the same measurements of one of my Fender clone necks I have at home. I am working away from home and have the neck and body with me. Will check on my next visit. thanks for your input.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. Freeman Keller

OK, Warmoth has a pretty good explanation of what works with what as long as everything is built to the "standards"

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx

When you position the neck make sure the bridge is on and double check the scale

crazydave911 and SamIV like this.
  20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just do the neck, NOT the pocket!
    That looks like more than 1/32" to me though. Maybe just the picture angle.
    I was thinking you could sand the sides at a taper so it fits tight at the top of the cutout, but narrower below... but... nah!
    I carved a strat neck to fit the body contour on a wide neck for a friend once. It came out pretty good but took a ton of work and was still a little evident when done.

crazydave911 and SamIV like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.