Neck tints on Telecasters, which one do you prefer?

Which Neck Tint Do You Prefer?

• Amber Tint

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • Pale Maple

Votes: 16 13.2%

• Total voters

KrenarCilku

Tele-Meister
Alright, I need to know what the general consensus about this topic is.

Do you guys like the vintage amber tint necks on telecasters or the really pale maple necks?

For some reason, I just can't fall in love with any telecaster or strat for that matter that has the pale maple neck and fretboard going on.

Seeing how most people spec their custom shop pieces with the amber finish on the maple, one would assume that the majority of guitarists like that but yet again, there are a lot of telecaster out of production lines without that tint which insinuates a demand for that as well.

I'm genuinely interested to see the outcome of this thread. Tell us your preference and let us know why you like one over the other.

Cheers!

Photos for reference:
Telecaster Tinted Neck.jpg
Telecaster Pale Neck.jpg

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Some ambers are just too yellow. But yes, I prefer amber over that plain look. I dont even know how they do that. Many finishes result in an amber-ish tone all on their own, yet those Fender necks seem awful white to me.
Brush on thin poly finish over alder body, no stain:

3 heavy coats of UV protected spar varnish over white cedar :(Ceiling)

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think these 2 FMIC images above are too poor to be of any real help. Dunno what FMIC is thinking.

I don't like ultra white looking maple, except on "contemporary" themed Teles and I don't buy or play those as a rule.

But I also find the heavy orange or yellow tints to be goofy. Even if barflies smoked all night, every night out and that's "authentic" somehow to the lungs of folks in the past, I'd rather not be reminded that that stuff happened.

So, moderation please, with heavier tints on guitars with older specifications and slightly lighter tinting for guitars with faster necks and larger fretwire and so on. I love what's shown directly above my post, for instance.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
All depends, and think it looks better with certain colors. If it's a butterscotch body and there's no tint on the neck it's been programmed into my brain that this looks cheap, because back in the day the 52AVRI had a tinted beck, while the Squier that had a butterscotch body had no tint on the neck.

I have a Classic 50's Precision bass in black that has a tinted neck and it looks decent, leaning on the side of being a bit too orange.

I will agree with the post above that somewhere in the middle works best. No tint at all looks cheap, a really orange-y tint looks overdone. I also like a neck with no tint that has has several years to darken just a bit naturally.

eaWdDXHh.jpg

Last edited:

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's

Do you guys like the vintage amber tint necks on telecasters or the really pale maple necks?

For some reason, I just can't fall in love with any telecaster or strat for that matter that has the pale maple neck and fretboard going on.

Seeing how most people spec their custom shop pieces with the amber finish on the maple, one would assume that the majority of guitarists like that but yet again, there are a lot of telecaster out of production lines without that tint which insinuates a demand for that as well.

I'm genuinely interested to see the outcome of this thread. Tell us your preference and let us know why you like one over the other.

Cheers!

Photos for reference:
View attachment 972652 View attachment 972653
On that guitar, I like the tint. On a black or white guitar, I'd rather have the natural pale maple.

Witcher

Tele-Meister
I like the amber tints, but it's not a deal breaker. It's interesting to note though, that Fender changed the lacquer finish on the Brad Paisley Esquire to amber-ish, instead of the pale white on the Telecaster.

Witcher

Tele-Meister
All depends, and think it looks better with certain colors. If it's a butterscotch body and there's no tint on the neck it's been programmed into my brain that this looks cheap, because back in the day the 52AVRI had a tinted beck, while the Squier that had a butterscotch body had no tint on the neck.

I have a Classic 50's Precision bass in black that has a tinted neck and it looks decent, leaning on the side of being a bit too orange.

I will agree with the post above that somewhere in the middle works best. No tint at all looks cheap, a really orange-y tint looks overdone. I also like a neck with no tint that has has several years to darken just a bit naturally.

eaWdDXHh.jpg
that's gorgeous!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire

Cheers!

Photos for reference:
View attachment 972652 View attachment 972653
Either are OK but the real white ‘IKEA’, on Bullets and Affinity’s, look as if they aren’t treated with anything and scream ‘cheap’ to me.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
20220225_162730.jpg

I have a Performer Telecaster in BSB and I like the pale maple neck because of the contrast with the body.
The amber neck however wouldnt be a dealbreaker as long as the guitar plays and feels good.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I just got a cheap Squier Tele Thinline, and dig this amber tint- sometimes it's looks almost as dark as the body ( tinted Sapele body)

Attachments

• IMG_8558.jpg
    IMG_8558.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 25