Neck tinting, the latest...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by schmee, Jul 20, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I swore I wouldn't, but I bought an unfinished neck for an inexpensive teleish-partscaster. I want an amber neck and NOT yellow. What's the latest news on something to tint with prior to finishing?
    I'll be finishing with Formby's Tung Oil Finish (more like a varnish really) or Tru oil.
    I've tried amber shellac in the past but it's pretty yellow and both ReRanch and Stew Mac are terribly yellow.

2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

I got good results recently with garnet shellac about 1# cut with a touch of mission brown transtint added and amber shellac about 1.5# cut mixed roughly 70/30 with the amber being the greater part.
    I sprayed it with my little detail gun in multiple light passes. I still need to do a little more messing with it as I sanded through in a couple of spots on the headstock.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

The tele I did in tru-oil has a beautiful amber tint that has darkened to a lovely honey color in the 2 years since I built it. I used 30 coats on the body and 15 coats on the neck.

The first 4 pictures are more recent. The others are from when I first completed it.

Jazzbo w:TV Jones.jpg Jazzbo w:TV Jones 2.jpg Jazzbo new pup 3.jpg Jazzbo new pup 2.jpg 20170716_183217.jpg 20170716_183404.jpg 20170716_183618.jpg 20170716_183852.jpg 20170716_184203.jpg 20170716_184545.jpg

preactor likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I use tinted nitro...I mix the tint. When spraying that tinted nitro, one can stop when things are where you want the shade to be and finish with clear coats if wanted. If there is figure, I have been known to use a different tint...shop mixed.....to make the figure pop.
    But...since you are using tru oil.....I dunno......I would probably tint the wood and finish with the oil. Test on raw maple to get your tint correct for your eye.

5. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

You can mix some linseed oil based artist's oil colors or fine powder pigments to tru oil and get/mix any color you want. I made a red neck :twisted: a while back. Both pretty easy to find in art supply stores.

6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Stewmac dyes vintage amber + Tobacco 70% thinner 30% nitro through a airbrush ...rattle cans spit and are hard to control the flow

7. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

I used shellac as sanding sealer and shot 2 coats of tobacco nitro and amber, than clear.

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have tru oil tints, might see what I can brew up.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.