Neck Template? (for Kirn body Template)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by poorman, Jun 25, 2011.

1. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

I bought the Kirn body template (pretty nice), but I need a neck template that is compatible...anyone?

Thanks!
    Dave

2. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

3. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

Thanks.

That's good stuff and will be very helpful if I can't find a good template, but I have very little free time to work on guitars (hobby). So I'd rather spend it making guitars than templates. I'm much more willing to part with some $$$. Any other options?

4. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar making is a hobby for almost everyone on the forum. Learn to make templates, it's part of the skillset. You'll never regret it, and it will mean you can also develop your own designs at some point in the future if desired.

5. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

Understood. I can make templates, I'd just rather spend my time making guitars. I have very little free time.

6. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

I'm the same way and ended up making all my own templates.

7. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would suggest that the one area in guitar building that doesn't need a template is neck making.

You need a headstock template (pdfs availabvle here or design your own), and a straight edge.

If you don't have a lot of time - buy a neck. But if you do find a template source, make sure the heel fits your neck pocket template before you buy it.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Couldn't agree more..... I have often said, if ya need a template to make a neck, you shouldn't be making a neck. Sorry, but it's the truth...

Many wanna make the neck to save a few bucks... hehehhehhehehhehHAWHAWHAW!! making a guitar is NO way to save money... the tools alone are gonna set ya wayyyyyy back.. plus buying the wife all the "bling" to elicit some sense of parody is equally expensive. :eek:

And getting the neck absolutely correct is paramount.. a little error doesn't mean a thing relative to the body, but screw up a few thousandths on the neck, and you are in deep do-do...

This is also why I have strongly advocated ... build 'em, buying the necks, until you are completely comfortable doing the fret leveling and setup, THEN you may wanna give the neck thingy a try....

Ron Kirn

9. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

Just sent you a PM.

10. wbegg

wbegg TDPRI Member

Ron,

I completely disagree. If your going to build a guitar, why not "try" the neck as well?? Yes, it requires complete accuracy, but doing things like this is what builds a persons skills. The first neck I built was my BEST! Just did alot of research, and there is plenty of info here.

Yes, building your first guitar may not be cheaper, but the satisfaction of holding and playing an instrument that started as blocks of wood is VERY SATISFYING. I build customs for customers now, and still have a hard time handing them over.

Have a look at the builds here, and you'll notice that most ARE USING NECK TEMPLATES, and producing some incredible works of art.

I sell similar templates to yours as well, and always supply the neck template as well because I feel this "completes" the set. I always include fret markers, nut location, tuner location, and inlay locations.

Maybe I'm rambling, but just my thoughts on the matter.

11. hockeygoon

hockeygoon Tele-Holic

Standard Tele replacement necks fit just fine. That's what I did for my first build. Used an allparts neck and it fits like a glove.

Making a two-piece neck is not difficult, but you do need a lot of special tools, which at the time I wasn't sure I wanted to pay for. After that the building bug bit, I got them.

12. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

wbegg, You and I share the same philosophy here. Just responded (sorry haven't logged on for a while).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.