1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NECK SWAP

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Capel, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

I got an American tele which I love the look of, but the neck isn't as nice as the Nashville tele that I bought 2nd hand with a classic 50's neck on it. I'm contemplating swapping them over -any traps, tricks to watch out for, and do I need to drill the Nashville for the microtilt or can I ignore it??

Cheers peoples!

2. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Sorry, didn't mean to yell in the title :doh:

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I would just ignore the micro-tilt, maybe even use the Nashville neck plate to keep anyone from messing with the tilt and tearing up the MIM neck.

Going from a 22 fret overhang to a 21 fret should not be an issue, but gaps that are now hidden at the neck pocket may become obvious.

Oh, do the "0le Fuzzy" move when you are starting the neck bolts: turn the screw anti-clockwise until you hear/feel the threads "drop in" to the existing threading into the MIM neck, then begin to tighten the screws.

But the main challenge is, do you have enough adjustability at the saddles to get a 7.25 radius neck to play nice with a modern bridge. Or if you're nuts like me, you could do this:

[​IMG]

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

To what Boris stated above, if you have any trouble getting the Stock Block saddles to a decent height...the 4/40 allen screws are available in longer lengths at most Ace Hardware stores...and I agree, I would ignore the Micro-Tilt altogether.

5. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Thanks for the pointers guys, I was planning a Callahan vintage style bridge for the American tele anyway -I might just wait until I get one before doing the swap....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.