Neck swap for my CV Thinline

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Anacharsis, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:33 AM.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've had the ('69 style) Squier Classic Vibe Thinline for a while. I put PV '64 pickups in it, and it sounds great. However, I am not completely thrilled with the neck shape and gloss back. Also - and least importantly - the paleness of the maple on those necks is a little aesthetically sub-optimal to my eyes. I'm thinking I'll put a Player Telecaster neck with tuners from Stratosphere on there and see how I like it. Seems like it will be easy enough.

Has anyone here done this particular mod? How did it work out?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

They share the same specs, but if you have ever done neck swaps, necks and bodies can vary a bit as to how close they were made to those specs. Will likely fit, but it could also require a shim or some massaging of the neck pocket :)

Not exactly the same configuration, but here is one of my projects. It is a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele body with a Fender Highway One neck. The neck fits the neck pocket of this particular body perfectly. The body is off being painted Daphne Blue...

444799EC-D0B0-417E-96A5-A510D8082608.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    Anacharsis and nojazzhere like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My first Telecaster, a 1993 Fender Squier MIK, got a Warmoth Fender licensed conversion neck, and everything fit perfectly. When I built my partscaster last year, I used another Warmoth conversion neck with a GFS Paulownia body, built to Fender specs, and again, everything fit as it should.
    As you say...."easy enough"......but be sure the neck to bridge alignment is just right. It's not difficult, but it does require attention.

Anacharsis likes this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, it will fit, but if it works out? Yes, maybe. I was in your boat once. Neck felt too thin, thought the pale maple was ‘not right’ with the extremely dark mahogany body. Even two quartersawn CV swaps couldn’t work for me.

I had a MIM ‘69 Reissue neck on it, still wasn’t happy. The best was a ‘72 VM Thinline neck. Ah, I still got rid of it. I guess that’s what people mean when they say “I didn’t bond with it”, but hell I changed the broom’s handle and had it re-bristled, still not right lol. That was my issue, not the guitars, it was fine the day I received it :)

4888436D-816B-4F45-8C74-D46DE4959D4B.jpeg

nojazzhere and Anacharsis like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.