Neck Shim

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mark the Moose, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I need to shim a bolt-on neck and I'm hoping to avoid at least some time-consuming trial and error. I've narrowed to three options, but I'm open to suggestions. FI: I'm a seasoned wood worker.

1. Order the stewmac shim and pay the stupid high shipping cost. Not inclined but could be my last resort.
    2. I have a crap ton of oak veneer left over from another project I could cut pocket sized pieces each a little shorter than the previous so they step up...then glue and sand.
    3. I use a miter saw with a finish blade set at .5˚ or 1˚ to cut a wedge off the end of a board.
    4. ???

PeterUK likes this.
  2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I had to shim evenly (no angle) the neck of my Harley-Benton JA60-LH-OW "Tempest" to accomodate the installation of a tremolo and roller bridge :

[​IMG]

I used a flat aluminium plate cut and drilled to size. No glueing :

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

DonM, Zepfan, crazydave911 and 3 others like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Use a piece of business card about 2 x .75" long or (cereal box stock) at the back of the pocket. I clip off the back corners at 45 degrees to fit into the corner. Use two if you need to but one usually does the trick.

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Depending on size needed, I have heard of everything from business cards, credit cards, pieces of veneer ... The idea of ordering, buying and shipping seems excessive to me ... I'll let the experts chime in ...

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Buy an expensive, must-have tool from Stewmac to make the shipping worthwhile. There HAS to be something you can't live without in their catalog.

6. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

I use to use business cards but I have since gone to using the StewMac shims. Yeah I think they are over priced and their shipping is wack.. I do not order much from them unless it is necessary.. Usually a specialized tool if needed.
    The guitars I have now are my keepers, I have one more pcaster to go to be set.. I think.. how many people here have said that line..

But I broke down and bought all the shims I needed for my collection plus a couple of extras. I like to have a little back angle on my necks for various reasons. The Stewmac shims, as over priced as they might seem to be, are, at least imo, the best option giving you precise control over the job.
    Their shim's are pretty thin which is good as that adds little overall to the height of the neck in the pocket. I usually use their .25 or occasionally a .50. I guess the main consideration is what it is you are trying to accomplish.
    For me I decided the effort for me to produce anything as good as their shim well, it just makes their shim seem not so over priced in reality.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

you do NOT want the shim to be the full size of the neck pocket.. doing that would require a thicker shim than if you just cut a piece of the veneer about ½" x 2". The angle it imparts on the neck projects the resulting string location above the bridge high enough to allow for the increased height the Bigsby setup requires...

rk

beagle, gkterry, Ricky D. and 2 others like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

A business card is made of paper. Paper is made of wood. Wood apparently gives some people a good feeling about tone. So use a strip from a business card.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A credit card fits perfectly in the neck pocket after trimming a small amount off the front edge. That small amount could be added to the back of the pocket to create a angle if required.

Boil likes this.
  10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

For guitars I need to shim i use a piece of aluminum flashing. The thickness is just right and as Mr Kirn suggests you don't need a shim the size of the entire pocket. I believe your goal is to adjust the angle, not the height of the entire neck. I cut a piece no more than 1/2 inch wide, the width of the pocket.

11. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Thanks all, I *think I need an angled shim. Basically the bridge and saddles are bottomed out the but the action is still too high up the neck.

Some inter web posters caution against air gaps as a speed bump at the end of the neck can develop. Anybody verify?

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Consider the fact that CBS era guitars had a tilt adjust mechanism which was just a bolt touching a plate. If that causes a speed bump, then half a million guitars must have it.

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/how-micro-tilt-majorly-affects-your-action

13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I've used folded "post it" notes to shim. Sometimes it doesn't take much.

14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

And a little known factoid... the Micro Tilt was Leo's creation... it was destined to be part of the guitars if Leo had sold to CBS or not... And during Leo's tenure, Leo used stamped steel shims... they were the width of the neck by about ½ inch...

and you do Not need an angled shim. it's a solution for a nonexistent problem..

r

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    beagle, gkterry, howardlo and 3 others like this.
  15. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Don't think this shim will be detrimental to the over all picture.
    Of course if your cutting shims with a DeWalt circular saw freehand you might have some issues..

IMG_0255[1].JPG

16. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use the clear plastic that is on packaged items. It seems to come in .005 and .010 thickness. I just save pieces for use when I need it. Sometimes I use two layers of the .005 like this picture. But I don't think it matters much. .010-.015 is a lot of shim and changes the string level quite a bit. BTW, I have never had to shim the end shown in my picture here. It's always the headstock end. Yet, Fender puts their "tilt adjustment" screw in this end.
    [​IMG]

18. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Along with being cost effective you have the added bonus of saving large amounts of money by not being able to just pull it out of your wallet at the local music store, takes me about half an hour to get my card out to buy anything now.

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I like using thin metal shim stock preferably brass.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  20. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Another web myth. A "speed bump" can indeed develop on a bolt-on neck design, but it's due to the neck architecture (the heel is substantially thicker, so it's less prone to bend IF the rest of the neck is developing a bow), and it's often when stress is caused by over-tightening the bolt screws.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.