1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neck shim advice

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by palethorn, Jan 11, 2021 at 4:20 PM.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There is no harm in using plastic strips. Folks been doing it for decades. Since I prefer to overthink things, I believe that overall the instrument will fare better in the sustain department by maximizing the amount of surface area contact within the neck pocket, and a strip of plastic on one end defeats that. For that reason, I prefer the neck shims from Stew Mac. It feeds my OCD better, despite the price. Edited for spelling.

2. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

I appreciate all your insight.
    Here's an update. I removed the shim. The guitar didn't quite feel right to me, and I felt uneasy playing it. I couldn't really tell you if there was any tone difference but if felt kinda dead. What's worse is that the guitar feels better in its original state, so maybe I'm just looking for a problem where there isn't one. Although technically, the guitar neck angle and action benefited from the shim. Most of you are recommending StewMac, but it feels weird ordering $8.35 item and paying $16 for shipping just to experiment. It would probably be best to take the guitar to a local luthier and see what he thinks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.