1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

neck screw holes misaligned on kit guitar neck?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ticktok, Sep 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ticktok

ticktok TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I just purchased a telecaster style neck off of thefretwire.com for a project. It's from a kit guitar but I bought it as a standalone "b-stock" item. It came with screw holes already drilled into the neck, but they're at odd locations that don't line up to the telecaster drawing I'm working off of.

Am I just misunderstanding something in the "Tele_body_drawing_revE.pdf" and it's supposed to be angled like this, or did I get jipped?

Pictures attached.

*Also, this is intended for a 3D printed guitar design, so worse comes to worse, I guess I can modify my models screw holes to match this neck?

2020-09-06 17.16.50.jpg
    2020-09-06 19.06.22.jpg 2020-09-06 18.53.56.jpg 2020-09-06 18.53.24.jpg 2020-09-06 18.52.45.jpg 2020-09-06 17.17.52.jpg 2020-09-06 17.17.23.jpg

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  2. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

Yeah, those holes are drilled well off. Easiest thing to do is dowel those 4 holes and re-drill them when you fit the neck to your body.

3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

It's quite possible the reason the neck is B stock is due to the misaligned holes which should have been made clear by the seller.
    The standard fix is to plug the existing holes in the neck, fit the neck to the body and mark/drill new holes.

And welcome to tdpri!

JJLC likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the fun!

Yeah, you saved a few bucks just to do a little extra work. Don't use wood filler/wood putty.

As stated above, plug the holes with hardwood dowels. Maple or beech works well, but the only dowels you will find at most places are poplar or ramin.

Want maple or beech in the exact size you need? This:

[​IMG]

They are cheap and they're already pointy!

If they have a finish on them, scuff 'em with a piece of 60-grit sandpaper to make the wood glue bond well. Measure the diameter and drill accordingly. Do not drill all the way through the fretboard or you'll have bigger problems :eek:

Apply a drop of glue to each hole, rub some glue on the tees, and gently tap 'em in; trim flush with a knife, chisel, or flush-cutting saw.

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Golf tees work according to Peegoo .
    . .

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't use an eight iron ...

A sand or pitching wedge may be more appropriate depending on the wind conditions...

7. Peegoo

A pitching wedge is good for things like accordions and banjos :twisted:

Take extraordinary measures to keep the drill from going too far. Otherwise you may create the opportunity to install new fret position markers, such as this oopsie done not too long ago (non-attributional to protect the honor of the culprit):

[​IMG]

Yeah--it's bad. But not nearly as bad as if he had hit the fret on the way out. You cannot get any closer to disaster than this.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

if that happened to me, I would just cut the whole end of the neck off. I never go up that end anyway...

SPUDCASTER and tubegeek like this.
  9. Peegoo

"There's no money up past the 12th fret." -Bernie Horowitz

[​IMG]

tubegeek likes this.
  10. ticktok

ticktok TDPRI Member

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy everybody. And thank you for all the suggestions on how to plug and fill it. I've done the "no drill press blue tape line" trick before for non-through holes, so if I go that route I'm pretty comfortable. And I never would have thought of using golf tees.

Still, really ****ty that they didn't clarify that on their page when I bought it. https://thefretwire.com/collections/parts-bin/products/tl-neck

11. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

My Trini kit from thefretwire has a few (small) issues too - I think it's fair to say they're competing on price, not quality. The bridge stud mounts and the pickup routs don't agree precisely, and the neck pocket required a very careful assessment before glue-up to get it aligned just right, which I didn't do perfectly so I had some tricky work to get the neck pickup ring in place.

12. ticktok

ticktok TDPRI Member

Hi Peegoo, do you have any recommendations on where to get Maple golf tees? I'm having trouble finding any. everything is either bamboo or "generic hardwood". I did eventually find some birch.

Thanks
    -Ryan

13. Peegoo

Howdy ticktok

I bought a bag of Calloway tees years ago (I don't use 'em for golf and they've lasted); the package states 'made from Canadian maple'. I wonder if maple just got too expensive.

Birch is a really dense hardwood and will work just as well as maple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.