Neck Resonance Observation -- Good Vibrations?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by obi-john, Apr 30, 2019.

1. obi-john

obi-john TDPRI Member

I have had my Squier CVC 50 Tele for a month now. Like it more every day!

So I went to Guitar Center yesterday just to check out some used guitars and sample some other brands and types and was surprised that the necks on a few that I played with felt sort of dead to me.

Went back home and strummed a few chords and realized that I could feel vibrations in my fretting hand, especially on open chords where there was a lot of palm contact.

I'm wondering if this was a sensory thing, noisy GC loud music in the background vs practice in quiet room at home, or if tele necks are more resonant as a result of their design?

2. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I have the CVC I have played 4 and they all sounded and felt wonderful to me. I have also felt the resonance of the guitar in the neck and body. I think these are great guitars I don't know how they make these so consistently good?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Don't know if teles do it consistently, but I agree that a lot of the best sounding guitars do feel live all over.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

I have both CVC and CV 50s, in fact There was also another CV 50s in my hands.

My observation is my CVC is very light and resonant, especially on open chords, I would say on low E. However plugged in it sounds bit thin, I assume the resonance means what frequencies are lost by the vibration (?) and in this case it is low frequencies.

The “anothe 50’s CV was very heavy, about 9.9 lbs (cca 4.3 kg), so I got rid of it because of the weight, less resonant on low freq. But plugged in it was having really nice balanced sound. Similar my current 50’s CV with cca 8 lbs, also less resonant on low freq, but plugged in it sounds full and nice.

What is your experience, to me it looks like it is important on what frequencies the resonance is and how it affects which frequencies are lost in the motion, therefore less picked up by pickups....?

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a cv 50's that's my favorite player and very resonant and light at somewhere just over 6 pounds. Had it for around 6 years now. I did play a cv custom in a store that sounded dead but that might have just had dead strings on it and needed a decent setup. I don't think they are that consistent seeing as many say the CV 50's are heavy whereas mine is the lightest guitar I own. Maybe they got heavier in the later years of production?

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A light guitar will always be more resonant acoustically.
    Plugged in a heavier guitar will have a bit more sustain and forward note while a lighter one will sound airier.
    But we are talking about small differences nothing an amp or effects can't fix.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

From the first moment I installed my custom-ordered Warmoth neck on my Telecaster, the guitar just seems to "sing". It could be the neck is mahogany, or that it's a "fatback" profile, (meaning LOTS of wood) or the Warmoth truss rod system.....or all the above. Whatever it is, I'm grateful.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The most vibrating necks are usually the weak wood or thinly carved ones. Remember that the headstock likes to bend at the neck joint transition. Watch a neck as you tighten up new strings sometimes. Too weak and you'll change the tuning just by holding the guitar.

I suppose that one way to measure is tune the guitar in playing position and then lay it on its back and see how much tuning changes. That would give an easy method of determining weakness with constant gravity.

9. aadvark

aadvark TDPRI Member

I consider neck resonance to be a really good sign of a great guitar all other things being equal. my old tele has it, as does my es330, old Martin 000-18... I really don't like guitars where the neck feels dead and lifeless. there's just something about that feel and responsiveness which comes with a good neck and neck joint...

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's how I test guitars. Unplugged. If it dont vibrate a lot it ain't gettin' bought. You can feel it. I've played some exquisite looking guitars that were nothing but deadwood.

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I think so. Wen they first came out i saw one at sam ash and picked it up and it was light as a feather. Later on every one i picked up was very heavy. Mine is a 2016 and is 8 Lbs, 6oz, my heaviest guitar by a few oz but light compared to most today. I d' think they got heavier. No mind here tho because it's light enough that it doesn't bother me a all and it sounds fabulous. I tend to find very light guitars don't have the focus of heavier ones.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.