neck resetting

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by LeftyAl, Apr 28, 2018.

1. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I'm never going to do a neck reset. At least I hope not.I watch a lot of youtube videos ,of people doing resets.It's really very interesting.They remove the fret where the dove tail should be,then after drilling a hole through the fret slot they inject steam .That loosens the glue joint around the dovetail. It can take a while. No one ever says this,but I can see you also loosening the glue joint at the neck block.Now you got a real problem. These guys doing this are luthiers, I'm not by any means. Thats a job for the pros .

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I have repaired headstocks and such but have never undertaken a neck reset. I leave that one to the pros.

There used to be a gadget available from LMI, Stewmac and Aria which basically heated the neck softening the glue and then used pressure to slightly shift and realign it. I do not have a clue how well it worked. I also believe they have all been discontinued. I do remember the last one available was the Aria which was ridiculously expensive at around $1K.

3. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

My understanding is that you need to heat the fretboard extension and get a palette knife or wide flat dull putty knife under it first.
    Then you inject steam to loosen the dovetail joint. And hope that it hasn't been done before and nobody tried anything vicious like epoxy.

I've tried it twice with reasonable results, but would certainly want to practice more before trying out my hobby on a vintage guitar.

maloburro likes this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

5. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Yep, Mr. Ford and the much-revered Mr. Erlewine always make it look SO easy...……….

6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Funny, I always knew Frank as the guy behind the counter at my favourite guitar store. Wasn’t until the internet had been around a while that I realized how many other people knew him.

7. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I've done a couple, they were a pain, last one was a Martin 12 string and that was the last one. Currently I have a old Favilla mahogany at a local luthiers for a neck reset. Bridge and brace reglueing is fine, I'm doing a bridge reglue on my personal 12 string.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.