Neck relief tools

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by portside, Jan 29, 2019.

1. portside

portside TDPRI Member

Wow, thanks to you all- that was quick; great tips & suggestions! Already have the capo, feelers, copy paper & picked up an edge ruler. I'll continue learning about it before trying it out on my Squier & where I'm not so concerned about first time user error.

Again thanks for all the help, any other suggestions are welcome.

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

can't remember, jim, it is just something that Fender guitar players have been saying since forever.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Could be the suggestion that Leo hid the truss nut so hobbyists wouldn't mess with it is a result of all the internet posts saying stuff like: "I keep tightening the nut and the action just gets worse and worse", or: "I tightened it up but now it doesn't seem to turn, plus the allen wrench looks kinda rounded on the end".

jimgchord likes this.
  4. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I think it was more of a manufacturing decision.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For someone who's not practiced at the 'feel' method, use the capo, string-as-straight-edge method with a feeler gauge.

Personally, I have difficulty with both 'feel' and the feeler methods due to a neurological problem. For necks who's frets are known to be at least pretty good, I use a machined straightedge (really straight, .003" over 18"). Lay it on the frets, and use the feeler.

6. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I've only used a 6" machinist rule, tool for truss rod adjustment and my eyes.

I was curious once and broke out my feeler gauges, capo, ruler and used the directions that Fender & Gibson recommended on their websites. (This was after using my method for over 30 years).

After using their recommended methods I found my action was actually lower than their spec's, with no fret rattle.

I fret the "E" String at the first & last fret and look for the distance between the string and the top of the frets about mid point. I set my action at 2/32's at the last fret.

That method has worked for me for years.

I have a friend who's a professional luthier and asked him to check out my adjustments years ago and he told me it was all fine.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just eyeball it, too.
    I sight the treble (high E) side of the neck.
    The high E will be under tension, so it will be straight.
    If the neck is concave with respect to the high E, I tighten the trussrod till the neck is straight.
    I do the inverse if it’s convex.
    I like my necks dead straight, with heavier strings, and high higher action than most folks I know.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.