Neck pup problem

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Auriemma, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Auriemma

Auriemma TDPRI Member

As some of you may know, I recently acquired an 2008 Squier Tele CV50 and after 2 weeks the neck pickup stopped working. I gave it back, they fixed and I bought it again. The luthier that fixed it said when i picked it up that he checked it, resoldered the wires and all was well. It played fine after that. Well, I went to play it last night and the neck pup was not out, but very faint. So back in it goes.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Bad switch, bad pickup, maybe both?

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

That could be any number of things. Hard to tell without having the guitar right in front of me. It could be a switch contact, an intermittent short, a grounding problem, any number of things. Pure speculation at best.

You could try plugging in the guitar and then loosening the control plate with the amp on while you shake things around a little while to see if it corrects the problem. The control cavity in a Tele is pretty tight and it's easy for things to go astray.

3. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Check out THIS topic.

4. zriffman

zriffman Tele-Meister

...and where are these guitars made? :rolleyes:

5. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

You come play mine, and that rolling eyes icon will change to this: :eek:

Borrowed from another knowledgeable reply to the same post on another related thread...

6. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

With so many "complaints" about this, I think they got a bad batch of switches. Most likely a sub over previous ones. MIC production has to be watched every step of the way. The are notorious for subbing in whatever is cheapest when you aren't looking.

7. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I dont think where they are made has anything to do with the issue to be honest.

It just seems to be a problem with some CV50s Teles.

Other guitars made in China dont have pickup problems.

Other guitars made elsewhere have other issues.

Tell you what, the build quality elsewhere on my CV50s was way ahead of the build quality on my Gibson Melody Maker.

That took a whole lot more fettling to get it nice an playable than the Cv50s did, I can tell you.

And where are those guitars made?

8. Dejected_Ridge

Dejected_Ridge Tele-Meister

I originally thought this too so I didn't even check my friend's silent CV duosonic neck pickup with a meter and just ordered and installed a new switch. :oops:

After the new, much nicer quality switch did the same thing I got out the meter and checked... dead neck pickup.

-DJ

9. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

I usually have problems if a wire shorts the switch(after I stuff everything back into the switch pocket). As others have said, just unscrew the switch plate, pull everything out a bit(with guitar plugged in) and see if there isn't some obvious shorting issue.
    Next, check the solder joints at the switch. Sometimes a cold solder joint will look OK, but if you wiggle the wire you'll see it isn't completely soldered. Get an iron and retouch the suspect joint(s).
    It's pretty rare that the problem is actually the pickup.

10. Auriemma

Auriemma TDPRI Member

I did the "pull the plate, tap and shake" to no avail. Everything looks good.
    She went in to the shop last night. Hopefully I get a phone call today.

GFS has a matched set for $22. Are they any good?

11. zriffman

zriffman Tele-Meister

I work too hard for my money to hand it over to China, and be frustrated with the quality of what I got. Don't get me wrong. I ride a Japanese-made motorcycle, and play a Mexican-made guitar. But both of those are very well built.

12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'll bet one person in the CV factory just doesn't know how to solder. Probably just one cold solder at the switch causing most of these issues. Or maybe a batch of bad switches?

I hope these complaints are getting back to management.

Out of curiosity, does everyone else's CV50 switch look like this?

[​IMG]

I've had mine almost a year now, played it a LOT, and no wiring issues... yet.

13. zriffman

zriffman Tele-Meister

I like the knurling on those knobs. I wonder who makes those. (I can't help it...I'm a machinist.) ;)

14. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I suspect some machinist in China made them.

They make some good stuff, huh? :D

Now if we could just improve their soldering skills...

15. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

I have (one now is a friend's) 3 50's CVs, no problem so far. I just had two CTS pots fall apart in my hands though, go figure. (they weren't crimped well at the top tabs, fixed) Back in 1991 I wired up over 180 1/4" TRS plugs for the back of a friends console, I used two full boxes of Switchcraft connectors on that thing. about 10 of them (after, tight harnessing, labeling heat-shrinking, the whole deal) turned out to be oversize. I was not happy, Switched to Neutrik then and there. (except when they have to be so close together that N wont fit) You get mistakes and screw-ups everywhere. Two of my friends that have products MIC haven't had any problems when they were willing to pay fairly for the work. I've seen the cost cutters from on high get some real garbage though, and honestly, that's all they were willing to pay for.

16. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

me too, I actually have a friend who would like to find out if he can buy a hundred or so, he knows they're spoked plastic push-ons inside and loves them.

17. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

First thing I did to my CV50s when I got it, was replaced the switch.

My neck pickup was dull and thin, replacing the switch with a nice Oak one didn't change that.

Hence its current "Esquire" status

18. Auriemma

Auriemma TDPRI Member

Well... as fast as I was in the Tele club, I'm now out. The pup is dead and the neck (though gorgeous and smooth) is bad. It wants to keep back bowing even after being adjusted. The neck on that guitar felt so good.

GC wants to pick out a replacement (of which they have none, the CVC was sold) or give me a refund on the guitar since it was used. They can (but don't want to) order a replacement neck and pup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.