Neck PUP: Lollar Vintage T vs SD Alnico II Pro

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by OwenHu99, Feb 1, 2018.

1. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

I want to get a very warm and jazzy but clear single coil neck pickup to upgrade my stock mim pickups. I was planning on getting the vintage t but became torn between the vintage t and the special t. Then along the way, I saw some posts suggesting the alnico 2 pro which is at half the price of the lollar. I could potentially get an SD set for less of the price of a single lollar, however I almost never use the bridge pickup (though i really liked the sound of the alnico 2 pro bridge in the demo). Is the lollar worth it? If so, should I go for the vintage t or the special t? Thanks in advance!

2. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

I'm no help with the lollars but the A2P is a great set of pick ups. Everyone has there own ears but yeah I've never wanted to change them.

Mincer and Doug 54 like this.
  3. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

AP II's, very warm and nice.
    Little string pull too.

Mincer likes this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The AP II neck will probably be "warmer" due to the plated brass cover. I believe SD still uses the plated brass covers on their neck pickups. Lends to be more of a vintage spec I guess.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have an original 50's Fender neck pickup with the plated brass cover. It's a little darker than the nickel silver covered neck pickups of my other Tele's.

The Lollar's look like they have some cover options, but I'm guessing they're nickel silver. Probably a little more clarity.

You can roll the tone knob back a little on the Lollar to attenuate the highs.

The A2 to A5 magnets might make a difference too. But, I think the cover material might be a bigger difference.

5. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Alnico II uses a chrorme plated brass cover. Wonderful pickup, btw.

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Lite Ash Tele that came with the SD Alnico Pros as standard. Really nice pups that sound good clean and with gain.

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The Lollar Vintage T is amazing as well and definitely can work really well for jazz tones. I've got that in my MIM Tele and love it. I don't have the large gauge and/or flat wound strings that would be popular for jazz but even then you can still hear it works for that kind of playing.

Tim Lerch has demos of the Vintage T and he's often playing Jazz.

Probably a pretty arbitrary decision other than price.. 2 good pickups that both make people happy.

I don't know what SD says, but Lollar has a pretty strong recommendation against using Treble bleed circuits.. that would be something you might consider as well. I didn't listen and put a Treble bleed on my guitar and the Lollar pickups work great for me with the Treble bleed.. that might have an effect on jazz playing, hard to say.

8. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I don't like treble bleed mods on my Alnico II Pro pickups, but I don't like them on most pickups.

9. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Nash T 52 this is what they say about the Lollars on it

About the Lollar Pickups in this guitar:
    The Lollar Vintage T (neck) has a full bodied midrange, clear top end, sounds full clean and will break up an amp moderately. It's wound with larger diameter wire for less compression than typical tele neck pickups. Alnico 5 magnets. Vintage style cloth lead wire. Wax potted.

The Lollar Special T (bridge) is a higher output version of the Vintage T Series Bridge with a rounder top end, a little more midrange, and more bottom end. Roll the tone control back a bit and get a somewhat convincing P-90/vintage humbucker tone. Flat pole design with graded Alnico 5 magnets. Vintage style cloth covered lead wire. Wax potted.

Neck: 7.6k
    Bridge: 8.0k

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.