1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neck problems....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Darrenr75, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

I've got an '97 Squier Silver Series strat body, which I'm stripping / refinishing.

I measured my other 2005 MIM Strat's neck pocket width AND depth and they were 56mm wide and 16mm deep.

The Squier neck pocket with was 55.7mm wide but annoyingly only 14.5mm deep - which is too much of a difference to use a usual neck on it.

So what are my options folks? Is it easy to route the pocket another 1.5mm deeper or can I get a neck that'll fit? It obviously came with a neck that fitted and was a Squier one.

Help!

2. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

Northern Redfish on reverb makes good necks and will customize it for you, very affordable as well

That Cal Webway likes this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Coming from a guy who is religious about neck/pocket fit, I wouldn't worry about it. It is better to have a pocket that can be opened up, than an oversized pocket that opens an opportunity for undesirable neck movement.

A fraction of a cm of width can be cured simply by using very fine sandpaper on a small flat block to open it up a bit on each side .015 mm (or polish down the finish on the sides of the neck), and there should be enough adjustment on the tailpiece to compensate for height. I must admit, though, an entire 1.5 cm on depth seems a tad bit much, but shouldn't be a deal killer.

Despite what marketing specs say, necks & pockets are rarely consistent in finished size, as machining techniques and humidity all factor in.

Test fit the neck before modifying the body. Final neck dimensions often vary from marketing specs, as well. You may find that your specimens are a perfect fit & that you may be overthinking the issue, a best case scenario. It is better to have both the body & neck in front of you than to modify a pocket to a set of dimensions & then hoping the neck fits.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  4. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Are these made in Canada, or elsewhere??

5. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

I took the guitar body to a local joinery, and had them take the pocket depth down to 16mm. Cost me £5, but it's perfectly done and now I can fit the usual necks properly. The width of the heel on the guitar is 56.33mm so all good. There's a really good ebay seller called Earlpilanz (UK based) who sells necks and states the actual measurements on the listing, so I'll probably go with one of his.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.