1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

neck pocket depth

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jbyers, Apr 8, 2021.

1. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

So I know the standard neck pocket is 5/8" deep on a tele, but, warmoth does the 720 mod on its rear routed bodies. Now, the body I built is rear routed, should I route the depth to 0.72" as they do to reduce the gap or leave it at 0.625"? Was gonna get on finishing the body this weekend.

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

It depends on your configuration. This explains it all.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

Thanks! that certainly does explain it all. Seems to me it would be easier to just accept the 1/8" gap and call it a day.

4. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Holic

I you never gonna use a pickguard, and prefer strings closer to the body, the deeper neck pocket definitely looks much neater. Don't just disregard it because the sales guy doesn't like it

....But you'll have to drop the bridge into the body by approx 2mm if you're planning on using a normal Tele or strat bridge

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  5. jbyers

jbyers TDPRI Member

Thats exactly what i was wondering about. Given that I'm super new to this, I think i'll probably leave it for simplicities sake. I really don't want to do anything rash and have to fix it

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Many guitars do not have any overstand and their geometries work, but they are laid out with that in mind - either they have some angle to the neck or the bridge is recessed. I don't put pick guards on my guitars and I rest my pinky on the top with I finger pick - I like the fret plane a little closer to the body. However I built my tele-clone with the Fender standard 0.625 pocket because it is the standard.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/building-for-playability.991659/

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Holic

Yes if you're new to this, I'd agree.
    Here's one I did where I had to drop the bridge into the body. It took many hours to get it right and looking good
    IMG_20190803_143630.jpeg IMG_20190804_161442.jpeg IMG_20191119_183940.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.